Horse Hair Brushes

Do you like them or not?

• Total voters
I'm starting to think the phrase "You get what you pay for" is becoming relevant to horse hair brushes.

I'm starting to think the phrase "You get what you pay for" is becoming relevant to horse hair brushes.

I actually like the horse hair brushes. The key is finding one that is densely knotted and around 28mm. Most of the ones I have seen are 22mm and the one I had a while ago had too much flow through which made it a terrible latherer.

I actually like the horse hair brushes. The key is finding one that is densely knotted and around 28mm. Most of the ones I have seen are 22mm and the one I had a while ago had too much flow through which made it a terrible latherer.
I'd go along with the 22mm bit. No idea how it lathers though.
Of all the knots I have, there is only one horse hair.
This one.
JmbThL1.jpg

It's a pretty knot though, or maybe the 2 piece candy handle just makes it look good?
Mn7AztG.jpg

Against my better judgement, I tried my horse hair brush one last time before it ended up in the bin. Then it dawned on me that I was so used to other natural hair brushes holding water that I was expecting this one to do the same. I ended up adding a heap more water to my shave bowel and lo and behold, I was actually able to get it to lather exactly how I was expecting it should.

So while still not my favourite brush by any means, it will be kept on.

This is a little deja vu, it doesn’t seem that long ago we had this conversation. Having horse brushes are just like having multiple razors in that they offer a different experience. I’m glad I own horse brushes but I do prefer badger and boar over horse.
Horse has nice scratch to it, but I’d say horse is more susceptible to damage i.e. broken hairs. My Epsilon horse is the only brush that suffers from matting. So I’m not looking to extend my horse brush collection but if I had to start my brush collection again knowing what I know now I’d include at least one horse brush.

This is a little deja vu, it doesn’t seem that long ago we had this conversation. Having horse brushes are just like having multiple razors in that they offer a different experience. I’m glad I own horse brushes but I do prefer badger and boar over horse.
Horse has nice scratch to it, but I’d say horse is more susceptible to damage i.e. broken hairs. My Epsilon horse is the only brush that suffers from matting. So I’m not looking to extend my horse brush collection but if I had to start my brush collection again knowing what I know now I’d include at least one horse brush.
Agree, I would still have a few in the den for the variety and experience