How hard is it to drive a SR?

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
I still have my Wellmann SR.
Had a sort of interest in knocking out the pins to remove and polish the blade, and then maybe a wee hone job.
Then learn how to do it! Actually apply the thing to my face, and start removing whiskers.
Easy Peasy, or 'Danger Will Robinson'?
Or just flick it off on BST and buy more DE blades is safer?
Remembering that at 74 do I really want to learn a new skill anyway?

Not quite easy peasy, lemon squeezy but it is dooable.
You have to spend time and effort on it becauses it is a new skill. Your initial shave will be rubbish and you'll probably need to use a DE to finish the difficult bits (chin).
You may be bettere starting with a Gold Dollar (hone it first) as it's almost ready to go. While learning on the GD you can fix your Wellmann; looks like it will come out good as new.

Hi @Blackie what about your stiff neck issues?
Could you navigate OK?
I do find SR requires more contortion and stretching of neck and skin.

The learning curve timeframe is no different from using a DE. As @Holiday has said above, there is alot more neck stretching and skin pulling to achieve a good shave. Both hands are required, and if you have neck or shoulder, hand issues, or medical issues such as parkinsons, or MS forget it.

Ah...thank you guys.
Yes, I did overlook the buggered neck.
Never gave that a thought, yet it's been giving me hell the last few weeks. There's only so much the pills and potions can do unfortunately.
OK then, it's plan B...will have to move the SR on.
No use keeping it for family. It was GGrand Dad's but it's just 'something else' to store now.
BST anyone?
Edit: I have a thought...anyone prepared to pay postage and you can have the razor.
If more than one person interested then I'll put the names in a hat and draw the winner.
I'd rather the razor went to folks I know and like than just bung it on ebay or etsy.
Plus, I'd like it see it all shiny and appearing in the SR SOTD one day.
I've been told it's pre 1890 (~1875-1889)

Last edited:
Ah...thank you guys.
Never gave that a thought, yet it's been giving me hell the last few weeks. There's only so much the pills and potions can do unfortunately.
No use keeping it for family. It was GGrand Dad's but it's just 'something else' to store now.
BST anyone?
Edit: I have a thought...anyone prepared to pay postage and you can have the razor.
If more than one person interested then I'll put the names in a hat and draw the winner.
I'd rather the razor went to folks I know and like than just bung it on ebay or etsy.

I am in the same boat, as I have more than one of the above conditions I mentioned above. I have 3 lovely AC straight razors sitting in a box collecting dust.

Ah...thank you guys.
BST anyone?

Count me in @Blackie, if it is anything like the DORKO still one of my favourites. Finally have all the gear to restore scales on the Bengall too.
Happy to trade blades other hardware.

Hi @Holiday that's great about having all the gear together now.
That wee Bengall blade wasn't too bad condition if I recall correctly. Just the scales were bad (home made by my Dad probably).
There will be photos of course when it's done?
Pleased you like the DORKO, and that it's living the life it was made for.
I will send you the Wellmann (my treat...no postage needed) as I am sure you will make it be the razor it should be...not stuck in a box here with me.
Sorry other guys...Wellmann is going to Australia...Jeff can't growl as I have decided that this is what I want to happen.
Can't wait to see the SOTD photos!

That wee Bengall blade wasn't too bad condition if I recall correctly. Just the scales were bad (home made by my Dad probably).
I will send you the Wellmann (my treat...no postage needed) as I am sure you will make it be the razor it should be...not stuck in a box here with me.
Sorry other guys...Wellmann is going to Australia...Jeff can't growl as I have decided that this is what I want to happen.
I wasn't quite quick enough but congratulations @Holiday.

Thanks @Blackie I'll do you proud mate!

The transformation
e0VvAS3.jpg
kR92OXm.jpg

PuTKhHz.jpg