How often? And why?

bald as

ARKO! dealer & walking ECG
Why do you shave when you do?
Do you shave because you need to or because you can?
Do you find it hard to mix up the items in the shave or are you content to have a dud every now and then to see if you are missing something.
Are you a private shaver treating the shave as a time of retreat or can the wife, kids, cat or dog share your lather parlour?

When I worked regular hours for someone else I would shave everyday. Nowadays in my own business unless I have a face to face appointment I can happily go 2 days shave to shave.
For all of my shaving life up until I started to use a straight I shaved in the morning which I suppose was tradition as that was how I started. Now I always shave at the end of the day and I "think" my growth is slower. I have no proof but my need for a shave is reduced with a straight. With a straight I usually prefer the cave of Solitude.

Steve

I always shave in the morning to get through the day and sometimes in the evening as well if I have time before a special event

Both! I mainly shave because I need to at work, but even when I don't have to I do because it just feels untidy if I don't. I WANT to shave now ...

Do you find it hard to mix up the items in the shave or are you content to have a dud every now and then to see if you are missing something.
I brought a few razors as I tried new things, not wanting to miss ANYTHING, now I'm more content to stick with tried and tested, changing when I get bored.

Are you a private shaver treating the shave as a time of retreat or can the wife, kids, cat or dog share your lather parlour?
How could you EVER allow anybody to spoil that time ...

It tests ones mettle using a feather at 5.45am Monday to Friday.
I shave because I want to, the time spent shaving is deeply reflective for me.
I did try a Polsilver once, Q.E.D.
I have a Russian Blue cat, it scrutinizes the morning ritual in painstaking detail as regular as clockwork, from exactly the same vantage point every single day. I tried locking the bathroom door one morning and it responded by shredding several mailing boxes as a friendly warning.

Monday to Thursday I'm a morning shaver and Friday, Saturday, Sunday I'm an afternoon shaver as they're usually date nights with Mrs fruityasu....
I'm old school and like to be clean cut and well presented for both work and play....
Monday to Thursday are two pass days....
Friday, Saturday, Sunday are three pass days BBS....

I shave because I want to/because I can....Facial hair was never my thing - I'm the clean cut type....

I'm generally thinking about what I'm going to use during my shower and change things up often....
I even use shower time to think about how I'm going to set up the gear for the SOTD pic....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm lucky in that I have my own space....The Friday, Saturday and Sunday shaves can take me up to 45min to complete as I really take my time and enjoy every bit of the ritual....
And that's what shaving is for me a RITUAL - a process....
Saturday shaves Mrs fruityasu hangs out with me in the 'parlour' and we'll have a chat and a drink and she'll open all my Aftershave and have a smell and rate them....
If the kids are over one of them always makes their way into the den and we'll have a catch up as I glide a very sharp blade across my delicate face....
The kitchen may be the family hub of conversation but my den is the 'confessional'....

Because I am such a handsome bugger it is a shame to hide my glorious face under any scruffy whiskers.
Because I can.I shave because I want to (See above).
It isn't hard.I only have four soaps,three usable straights of my own,and five DE razors to use.I decide at the time what I am using but a straight is always first consideration.Occasionally a dud happens,but that is due to inattention or feeling a bit off.
I like to keep it private as I enjoy the ritual and the meditation of the process.The kids tend to interrupt sometimes,usually to settle an argument yet they are slowly learning that is not the best thing to do at times.

I don't shave every day yet I don't go more than three without,and it all depends on the result of the first pass if I need any more.

Not a daily shaver. Main determinant is either social occasions or business meetings.

Primarily because I feel the need to arrest my unkempt appearance!

I have regular items that I'm loath to change, such as my pre-shave and post-shave "first responders", but otherwise like to experiment a little.

Unquestionably private time! I really enjoy my shaves, and don't want interruptions; just some appropriate background music, thanks.

As I sport a beard these days, I shave only on Sunday and Wednesday nights. It's mainly just to tidy up my neck and cheeks, and 'sculpt' the outline around my beard.

Because I can really. I'd probably get away with just once a week, but I like to shave.

I have my 'go to' soaps - but I change up which straight I use, and swap out my brushes, usually alternating between my wee scot, or Omega mighty midget.

Usually my wife comes in and showers while I shave, which can get a little distracting, but who am I to complain.

Generally I shave every day because I like to feel tidy and ‘ready’ for the day, and because I’m still enjoying all the different razors, brushes and soaps.
I shave in the morning for the above reasons (feeling prepared for the day), plus as I look forward to it, it gives me motivation to get up and the focus of it helps me to regain consciousness.
I’m usually thinking about the next morning’s shave the night before, so will have soap chosen, straight stropped, and bladed loaded if SE or DE so that I’m not quite so time pressured in the morning. I may not have brush selected. Quite happy to mix it up to see what works and what doesn’t but some days you feel like just selecting the known quantity for comforts sake. I wonder if I’ll get more selective and stick to a more limited regime as time goes by, but for now I’m enjoying variety.
I generally enjoying shaving on my own for the sake of focus, especially if I’ve got a straight in my hand, but sometimes it’s nice if someone stops for a quick chat and shows interest in the ritual. Tried the shared bathroom thing whilst shaving and it doesn’t work well.

Q:Why do you shave when you do?

A: mornings only. I get a 5 o'clock shadow so no point shaving at night since i'll have a 5am shadow!

Q: Do you shave because you need to or because you can?

A: Purely because I can. I work from home and it's rare for me to even leave my home on most days. I shave because I love it and also want to look decent for the wifey. I also style my hair with product daily for this reason.

Q: Do you find it hard to mix up the items in the shave or are you content to have a dud every now and then to see if you are missing something.

A: after ten years of traditional shaving, I know what I like and what I don't. I've settled on the Rockwell 6S and Progress razors as my favorites (Karve and model T on the way). The Progress has been my favorite since 2012 and nothing has replaced it!

I have about 20 synthetic brushes, 10 badger and a couple of boars. The pre-2012 version 1 silvertip fibre is my favorite synthetic.

115 soaps to rotate and whilst I like some better than others, I enjoy them all. I don't get too bogged down with minute perceived differences in bases etc. If the soap lathers up creamy and stable, doesn't dry out or irritate my skin and smells nice...them I'm happy. I'm not in to the whole "it's a 7.2 VS 6.7" rating metrics etc.

I only use anherb aftershave balm and Polsilver blades with no urge to try any more.

Q: Are you a private shaver treating the shave as a time of retreat or can the wife, kids, cat or dog share your lather parlour?

A: I always invite my wife but she doesn't seem interested enough to actually watch me shave.

She is kind enough to put up with my ramblings about shaving stuff though so I'm happy.

Q: If you do shave every day, do you go for a full three passes/ BBS or opt for a less close and more comfortable shave?

A: I go for a 3 pass BBS daily. If technique is refined enough, there's no reason a BBS shave can't be a comfortable one. It's not a trade-off for me.

I am an evening shaver, also sport a beard. Shave the neck and cheeks.

Bit of both.

I only have five soaps and razors and content with what I have. Only get a dud shave if I rush it.

Usually private, It's the time of the day when I can unwind. My wife is 6' tall, I can't stop her if she wants to come in. :ROFLMAO:

If you do shave every day, do you go for a full three passes/ BBS or opt for a less close and more comfortable shave?
Two passes and touch up is all I usually need for a DFS.

Last edited:
- I used to shave in the morning, but now I am more into the afternoon-evening, as I have no rush to do it. And I try to do it everyday
- I don't need to shave, I do it because I like it. I already liked it when using cartridge razors with a brush and stick, so my move into Double edge, artisan soaps and splashes (at that time I usually used them from time to time) was to even improve it
- I don't fin it hard. I am still short on brushes and razors but that will be eventually fixed. What I choose each day cames from each day's mood, normally.
- The cats have sometimes came to sniff and close inspect, but are not very keen on shaving voyeurism.
If you do shave every day, do you go for a full three passes/ BBS or opt for a less close and more comfortable shave?
- I normally go for at east three passes, plus some minor fixes.

I will shave every day, different times.

I shave because I like to, personal pride and standards.

Do you find it hard to mix up the items in the shave or are you content to have a dud every now and then to see if you are missing something?
I don’t have many duds, no problem using different products or trying new ones. I know my blades, straights. I have a trusted brush. I bowl lather so can tell from there whether it’s going on my face or not. Some soaps are gone on scent alone.

I have a separate bathroom to the wife and we never venture into the others. The boy (7) pays infrequent visits, he may choose some music, more often than not he asks for some ‘smelly stuff’ not kept in the bathroom but I’ll take him and let him sample and choose one. He’s never too young to learn about personal pride and standards. He’s welcome any time.
Dave the cat bastard couldn’t care any less.

Weekdays in the morning, out of habit. Weekends, generally mid to late afternoon after running around. That way I can have a shower at leisure, take the time with the shave and settle in for a relaxing night (or go drinking).

Want to. I do have some stubble at the moment and shaving cheeks and neck. I was more likely to have facial hair before I really got into wet shaving.

Always up to test out things. I just grabbed a whole heap of blades I didn't like ages ago. Lord, Big Ben, Treet etc. and giving them a third go in different razors with my evolved technique.

Private is my preference. Looking forward to upgrading homes and getting a more private shave den.

It tests ones mettle using a feather at 5.45am Monday to Friday.

I shave because I want to, the time spent shaving is deeply reflective for me.

I did try a Polsilver once, Q.E.D.

I have a Russian Blue cat, it scrutinizes the morning ritual in painstaking detail as regular as clockwork, from exactly the same vantage point every single day. I tried locking the bathroom door one morning and it responded by shredding several mailing boxes as a friendly warning.
ROFL :ROFLMAO:

To learn and get more experience with DE shaving.
Because I can and the fact that I can't grow anything on my top lip so any beard on me is a Abraham Lincoln beard, which doesn't look good with a bald head.
Still in training so I try to KISS, but you have to try new things how would I know if there's a better blade, razor or soap :banghead:
I live alone.

Because I find shaving a great way to help me wake up.

Both. I don't like stubble on my face and my employer expects me to be clean shaven.

Do you find it hard to mix up the items in the shave or are you content to have a dud every now and then to see if you are missing something?
Happy to mix things up but just as happy to keep using my tried and true gear.

Prefer to keep it private but every so often one of my 3 y/o twins decides he wants to join in and is always welcome. Mrs NG rarely comes in but if she does it's usually to bathe and is very distracting. Most of the time it's just me and a podcast.