How to know the right amount of water in bowl lathering

CRuss

I’m after some tips on how to add the right amount of water for bowl lathering.

How do I know when it’s dialed in right? Any clues on things to look for?

I think it’s ok but I could still be well off.

The right amount of water is relative to the amount of soap loaded on the brush, best thing is to lightly dip the end of the brush in water and swirl in the bowl (or face), and continue doing both until u reach the desired consistency

When u fist load the brush it should be relatively dry, as you add water, swirl etc the soap will continue to build

You keep going and What your roughly looking for is the consistency of Greek yogurt with a sheen but that is a personal preference

Some like more cushion others more slickness.. if u start seeing air bubbles and thin lather you gone too far

Hope that helps

@StratMan is spot on. For me, the secret is to add water slowly - I add a few drops at a time from my fingers until I get the Greek yogurt consistency.
If you overshoot, it can be difficult to recover and you may need to start again; hence the slow addition rate.
Not sure about fist loading, though :p.

I was taught by a professional barber who loves straight razors, he’s loves Sweeney Todd.

1. Wet your inside lather bowl rinse it under the tap and tip the water out, just damp wet.

2. Grab your damp wet dry brush and start loading the brush and make sure you’ve got plenty of soap on the brush.

3. Scoop out any wet soap from the tub with your clean finger and transfer to your lather bowl.

4. Start loading the lather bowl and gradually add dribble of water as you go along while building up the lather slowly.

5. Don’t over do it with too much water as you go, just be patient until the lather looks just right and how you like it.

6. The rest is up to you and have fun shaving.. Bro 👍

@StratMan is spot on. For me, the secret is to add water slowly - I add a few drops at a time from my fingers until I get the Greek yogurt consistency.
If you overshoot, it can be difficult to recover and you may need to start again; hence the slow addition rate.
Not sure about fist loading, though :p.

hmmmm... i certainly dont recommend fisting :eek:

"if u start seeing air bubbles and thin lather you gone too far"

This is key IMO. And ofcourse every soap is different, so I start damp and add water very slowly. It doesn't take much to push it too far.

This thread was a good reminder/ refresher. Lately I found my lather was a bit hit and miss.
Cutting the water back a little more did wonders. Still probably not worthy for the lather shots thread, but a noticeable improvement.