How to measure blade gap

Rami

2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I have a couple of adjustables and looking to get my first multi guard system. Is there a way to work out which gap to get?

A set of feeler gauges would be the easiest. You could look up the thickness of paper you have on hand and use that as some feeler gauges and take a guess at it.

Never heard of them before today live and learn. Is that with the blade in or out?

I do not think you can just measure and go off blade gap to know how a razor will perform. It would be best to get comparisons from people who have used similar razors.

For example:
https://dailylather.com/content/sotd-february-2-2018
He finds the aggressiveness of the Timeless Bronze .78mm blade gap similar to that of a .95mm Timeless.

Edit: Another example
First shave with the Karve C plate, and can certainly understand the hype. Initial thoughts were is this thing even cutting (fearing the C plate might be too mild), but after the xtg pass a lot of those concerns were alleviated.

This was only my first shave, so all comments are fluid and subject to change as I learn it more. Blade feel was equivalent to a #2 on the Rockwell. Honestly "felt" like it was too mild (e.g. blade feel not performance). Trouble spots on my neck however are closer than the rockwell #4 (lots closer), yet my cheeks aren't as close as my really efficient razors (Rex on #4 for example). I think my angle was wrong for the cheeks on the last pass though.

Even after 1 shave, tempted to grab a D plate. I will certainly be getting Stainless or Titanium version when they are released, and going C & D equivalent plates with my limited experience so far.

tOD0L9kl.jpg

Karve: https://karveshaving.com/
  • C - 0.85 mm
  • D - 0.98 mm
Rockwell: https://rockwellrazors.com/apps/help-center#!what-are-the-blade-gaps-for-each-of-your-sizes
  • R2: 0.014" (0.35 mm)
  • R3: 0.019" (0.48 mm)
  • R4: 0.024" (0.61 mm)

Last edited:
Then how do I find the level of aggressiveness I like. Buy the lot and sell the guards I don’t need?

I thought I can measure the setting on the murgress that I have and go one up/down for choices

Then how do I find the level of aggressiveness I like. Buy the lot and sell the guards I don’t need?

I thought I can measure the setting on the murgress that I have and go one up/down for choices
Doesn't work like that sorry. Blade exposure, angle, rigidity (how tightly the blade is held), etc. all come in to play and make a difference in how mild/aggressive the razor shaves. A 0.84mm blade gap in one brand of razor will generally shave differently to a 0.84mm blade gap in another.

So if I like the mergress XL level 2 what Krave plate do I get?

I'd suggest either B or C plate for that (c's probably closer to 2.5-3 in efficiency, same feel as 1.5-2). Heap of posts on some of the other forums about comparisons for the Karve (which is what I used to judge the plates I ordered). Don't take my word for it alone (or anyone else's for that matter), research is key.

I'd suggest either B or C plate for that (c's probably closer to 2.5-3 in efficiency, same feel as 1.5-2). Heap of posts on some of the other forums about comparisons for the Karve (which is what I used to judge the plates I ordered). Don't take my word for it alone (or anyone else's for that matter), research is key.
From my reading I'd also say B & C...waiting patiently for the SS model :D

I actually have the a b and c in my cart.
Going to think about it a little more

I actually have the a b and c in my cart.
Going to think about it a little more
Shipping one razor (1 base plate only) = $11.72 CAD. Shipping on razor with 1 extra plate = $22.41. Shipping on 2 individual plates = $11.72.

Looking back, I wish I had just gone the C plate, then decided to go more or less from there (as it wouldn't have cost me extra shipping really placing a second order $1.03 extra big woops). I probably would have ordered both B&D plates now after using the C. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Shipping one razor (1 base plate only) = $11.72 CAD. Shipping on razor with 1 extra plate = $22.41. Shipping on 2 individual plates = $11.72.

Looking back, I wish I had just gone the C plate, then decided to go more or less from there (as it wouldn't have cost me extra shipping really placing a second order $1.03 extra big woops). I probably would have ordered both B&D plates now after using the C. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
What plates did you get?