How to use a splodge of soap?

eggbert

is full of Vision Collision
2018 Sabbatical
2017 Sabbatical
Da Menth Heads
I got several 10g samples of mostly softish soaps with my recent purchase, and they were delivered double sealed within ziplock bags.

How would I go about using them? I only want to use a shaves worth at a time, and then move onto the next one so I can determine which I like best.

I don't see that I could face lather with such a small amount, and can't think of other ways to use them which wouldn't leave me having to use up each soap before I can try the next.

So, what do you do with small soap samples?

I got several 10g samples of mostly softish soaps with my recent purchase, and they were delivered double sealed within ziplock bags.

How would I go about using them? I only want to use a shaves worth at a time, and then move onto the next one so I can determine which I like best.

I don't see that I could face lather with such a small amount, and can't think of other ways to use them which wouldn't leave me having to use up each soap before I can try the next.

So, what do you do with small soap samples?

Have a very small brush? Try putting them in a wide bottomed cup and getting your lather from there. You may need to use them up one at a time this way.

Try putting them in a wide bottomed cup and getting your lather from there. You may need to use them up one at a time this way.

This was my thinking too, which is why i asked the questions as I would prefer to try each one and compare.

Not sure how many shaves I will get out of each sample, if it is only 1-3 I guess I will just have to do this.

How soft are they? You can always put a bit in a bowl and load your brush that way. Although it's probably hard to do that, chasing a pea sized bit of soap around a bowl. I don't know in other words. I'm sure drubbing can come up with some useful suggestion. He's the man of many samples.

Edit: Oh well, looks like the other man of many samples has spoken.

This was my thinking too, which is why i asked the questions as I would prefer to try each one and compare.

Not sure how many shaves I will get out of each sample, if it is only 1-3 I guess I will just have to do this.

Take copious notes and then purchase Mark(o)s "Secrets of Cella" only 897 pages and see how your soaps stack up.

Take copious notes and then purchase Mark(o)s "Secrets of Cella" only 897 pages and see how your soaps stack up.

Don't, whatever you do, even suggest that it might rival or possibly better Cella. His Sicilian connections are strong.

How can they rival Cella? None of them smell of marzipan *or* Dr Pepper.

In my mind this means they are already streets ahead even if they don't create a lather (which I am sure they will).

/edit Probably a good thing I didn't "win" the great unwashed PIF or i would definitely be getting a 1kg sample, and the whole book with appendices.

Last edited:
How can they rival Cella? None of them smell of marzipan *or* Dr Pepper.

In my mind this means they are already streets ahead even if they don't create a lather (which I am sure they will).

/edit Probably a good thing I didn't "win" the great unwashed PIF or i would definitely be getting a 1kg sample, and the whole book with appendices.

I would still keep an eye out for swarthy looking characters carrying violin cases and if they smell of Almonds then RUN

Where do I start?

Hey, who has been editing my posts?

Last edited:
I suspect it's Mark(c)o's henchman, Drubbing.

I can't see it happening, but just in case anyone does get sensitive about this, please see the edit reason that I added to my previous comment.

I've never bought soap samples, but I can see that they'd be difficult to work with. If they're soft try pressing them into a ramekin or similar, and get a thin layer in the bottom, just so you've some surface area to load a brush from.

I've never bought soap samples, but I can see that they'd be difficult to work with. If they're soft try pressing them into a ramekin or similar, and get a thin layer in the bottom, just so you've some surface area to load a brush from.

This is the way to go.

I've still got a Valobra and Cella sample mushed together in a ramikin somewhere.