Howdy from QLD

Director

Hey all, I stumbled across this site yesterday on my new quest. Even though I'm over 50 I have always used cartridge razors but am getting sick of popping 4-5 bux per cartridge. Today I ordered up some Squadron soap but would like to try some APR (?). I think I've settled on a Merker 1904 razor as it has good reviews and is supposed to be fairly idiot proof. Am looking to get a boar brush as the badger ones seem a little expensive at this stage but who knows in the future?

Any initial advice greatly appreciated. :)

Welcome @Director. I think , like me, you will enjoy your new wet shaving experience after years of those ridiculous cartridges.

Welcome to P&C @Director - great to have you here (y)

Great choices on gear already - I can definitely highly recommend APR soaps as well.

The brush recommendations could open up a can of worms - but I personally would recommend a synthetic brush for a beginner. Boars need a break in period and in my personal experience produce some sub-par lather during that period.

Although badgers are my personal favourites, to start with a synthetic is the easiest to use, you can use it out of the box and the quality of lather you get out of them is good.

I will leave it for others to recommend makers and shops - but there is a ~8AU$ delivered one from China that @bald as showed me once with a stainless steel handle that I think would make for a nice starting brush

Hey thanks for the welcome chaps!
Re the brushes, are all synthetic brushes created equal?
Happy to get one from China but would prefer to buy locally to cut down on delivery times. I have about 2 weeks worth of cartridges left ATM so would prefer not to have to buy any more once they run out. :)
Does this site have sponsors that I can patronise or is it OK to talk about any retailers?

Hey thanks for the welcome chaps!
Happy to get one from China but would prefer to buy locally to cut down on delivery times. I have about 2 weeks worth of cartridges left ATM so would prefer not to have to buy any more once they run out. :)
Does this site have sponsors that I can patronise or is it OK to talk about any retailers?
Only one rule on these forums mate, "don't be a dick" :) None of that nonsense about sponsors or preferred vendors here. Feel free to talk about any retailers/sites/vendors.

Welcome to the forums! Good to have another Qld'er on board before Wed night. Where abouts in the Sunshine State do you hail from? Got a few of us all over, but I'm northside Brissie here.

This synthetic from Beard & Blade would be a good starting place.
https://www.beardandblade.com.au/co...plissoft-synthetic-badger-shaving-brush-black

We also have some sample blades available to new members (will try to find the post, although we should pin it)

https://paste-and-cut.com.au/commun...ampler-packs-for-new-members.2098/#post-54886

Last edited:
Welcome to you.

APR is available from The Stray Whisker and the artisan who create the scents (@todras) is right here too! Highly recommend getting the matching Aftershave as well - all of the ones I have tried have been excellent, it's just personal preference in scenting. I'd humbly suggest General Ledger or Mycroft as the two you would likely want to start with although I am very partial to Suitable Attired Australian.

If you are ordering from TSW, then I recommend the 24mm diameter '452' brush in synthetic. I bought my nephew one and it's cracking value for what you get and mile better than the Chinese Synths I have tried. Will push you over the free postage mark also.

The 'After Balm' there is also a fantastic product. Con is usually very good with the sample products also.

Last edited:
Cheers, that brush looks perfect!

Korbz, I'm in SE Qld, about 90 minutes west of you. :)

Just thought of another question, we had our hot water service replaced about 12 months back and at the time the plumber 'had' to install a temperature governor because the QLD government has decided that grown adults can't have their hot water hotter than 50 degrees c (yes, I've already tried to adjust it. :) ). All of the shaving guides I've read this weekend say to use warm and not hot water when shaving so I'm guessing that 50c might be the perfect temperature, or would it still be too hot?

Also, how long should a 150ml tub of shaving soap last?

Cheers

The only issue with too hot water I can think of, is the glue on your brush. As a rule of thumb, if you can hold your hands comfortably in the water, it has the right temperature...

Don't worry about how long a product lasts - concentrate on the quality of the lather...my guess is, you will have soon more soaps/creams than you can use ;)

Some info in this post. There's been quite a few different types of synthetic knots over the last few years
https://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/for-the-synth-fans-or-those-curious.4065/

All of the shaving guides I've read this weekend say to use warm and not hot water when shaving so I'm guessing that 50c might be the perfect temperature, or would it still be too hot?

I just use warm water that's comfortable to the touch. Warm helps to keep the pores open whilst shaving. Then the cold at the end to close them. Some here prefer cold for the whole shave. It's all personal preference.

Also, how long should a 150ml tub of shaving soap last?

Depends how you load the soap and the consistency of the soap. If you load like @alfredus you get 17 shaves :) For the rest of us, 50-75 shaves would be comfortable I think?

Welcome @Director to P&C. Its a great forum and always plenty to learn.

One soap puck will usually last around 2 months of daily shaves depending on how much you load, what size brush you use and how "hard" the soap is. "Croaps" e.g. Proraso and creams are much softer and will usually not last as long.

Can pretty much guarantee you will never go back to carts and canned foam once you try a DE and good soap.

Thanks again all!

(Geez I've already spent about 2 years worth cartridges getting kitted out in the last 2 days... :) I'll start pacing myself now and maybe try a new soap every now and then. )

Thanks again all!

(Geez I've already spent about 2 years worth cartridges getting kitted out in the last 2 days... :) I'll start pacing myself now and maybe try a new soap every now and then. )

Welcome mate - but the word is INVESTED not spent ;)

Some good advice above - enjoy the ride!

Welcome to P&C @Director, the recommendations from @Monsta_AU as to the APR fragrances are good ones. For winter my choices would be Winterfell, Bay City or General Ledger.

Thanks Todras, might have one final splurge on some APR soap (shhh, don't tell the missus ) and then wait by the mailbox for all the goodies to arrive. :)

Actually pores don't open and close like a doggie door
How about you add something useful (like a link or something explaining and dropping some knowledge on us, rather than one line being a dick)?

Last edited: