I need a few minutes of your time if you have used AP Reserve Soap

todras

est Français pour après-rasage
In Memoriam
2019 Charity Auction Winner
Menth Dealer
Hello people :)

I have a favour to ask those of you who have tried and used AP Reserve Soap, @Sxot and I have recently began exporting our soaps to Maggards in the US which as most of you will know, is one of the toughest markets in the world given the exceptional range of US artisans already there doing such fantastic things.

If you so feel inclined, could you head over to Maggards and leave a review of the AP Reserve Soap that you have used under the relevant product. I am not asking for people to astro turf, bullshit or anything like that whatsoever, however I am simply asking you to leave your impressions and rate the products that Scott and I have spent so long researching, developing and now exporting.

Why am I asking the community to do this, what's going on ?

The airfreight to the US is substantial and this has necessitated Maggards adopting a higher list price than is normal, by way of example the airfreight on 20kg to the US is $195.00 which is a charge they have to wear in order to stock our soaps. The same applies to B&M soaps in Australia and why we pay $39 or thereabouts, airfreight quite simply costs a lot of money!

So a novice user recently rubbished AP Reserve in a thread on r/wetshaving complaining about just about every aspect of our product in his review, several people jumped in to correct him on many of his inaccurate and frankly bloody stupid claims, however I defended his right to have an opinion and express it as someone who had purchased my product. In other more recent threads, shavers with substantially more experience (and hundreds of soaps in their collections) have posted reviews supporting the product, and appreciating the fragrances and soap.

So that is the situation, if you feel you would like to or are happy too, your honest, open review about the AP Reserve range at Maggards would be welcomed. If you want to post things you don't like or think we could improve, please feel free to include those too - as I said, no astro turfing, bullshit or rubbish.

I am confident in the quality of the products Scott and I make as Aussies.

Cheers,

Dan

Done a couple and will do a couple more later!

Hello people :)

I have a favour to ask those of you who have tried and used AP Reserve Soap, @Sxot and I have recently began exporting our soaps to Maggards in the US which as most of you will know, is one of the toughest markets in the world given the exceptional range of US artisans already there doing such fantastic things.

If you so feel inclined, could you head over to Maggards and leave a review of the AP Reserve Soap that you have used under the relevant product. I am not asking for people to astro turf, bullshit or anything like that whatsoever, however I am simply asking you to leave your impressions and rate the products that Scott and I have spent so long researching, developing and now exporting.

Why am I asking the community to do this, what's going on ?

The airfreight to the US is substantial and this has necessitated Maggards adopting a higher list price than is normal, by way of example the airfreight on 20kg to the US is $195.00 which is a charge they have to wear in order to stock our soaps. The same applies to B&M soaps in Australia and why we pay $39 or thereabouts, airfreight quite simply costs a lot of money!

So a novice user recently rubbished AP Reserve in a thread on r/wetshaving complaining about just about every aspect of our product in his review, several people jumped in to correct him on many of his inaccurate and frankly bloody stupid claims, however I defended his right to have an opinion and express it as someone who had purchased my product. In other more recent threads, shavers with substantially more experience (and hundreds of soaps in their collections) have posted reviews supporting the product, and appreciating the fragrances and soap.

So that is the situation, if you feel you would like to or are happy too, your honest, open review about the AP Reserve range at Maggards would be welcomed. If you want to post things you don't like or think we could improve, please feel free to include those too - as I said, no astro turfing, bullshit or rubbish.

I am confident in the quality of the products Scott and I make as Aussies.

Cheers,

Dan
On my way to the maggard site now.... I wish you luck in the US market. You deserve it to kick ass ;)

On my way to the maggard site now.... I wish you luck in the US market. You deserve it to kick ass ;)

To be clear, the reception to AP Reserve in the US has been nothing short of phenomenal and Maggards has reordered in response. My concern is that comments from novice users or 'blog site product shills' who got shown the door could colour the experience of the product unfairly. I have to ensure that people looking at the product have the widest variety of opinions possible available to them.

One of the reviews published to the world at large is from an editor on a popular paid 'blog site' who made solicitations to my company. What he didn't realise is that I do not send free products to anyone for what is essentially a paid advertisement under the guise of editorial or a review. It's dishonest, potentially actionable in Australia and quite frankly it can stay in the gutter where it belongs. I won't name him, but you are free to search his name, published with his 'review' and establish your own connection to his affiliations. I won't comment again on this chump, it wastes my time.

It disappoints me that this goes on in our hobby. Seems that there is an ever increasing number of people with either a blog or review site or making YouTube review videos who think that as a result they are entitled to receive free product for review.

My understanding is that in a lot of cases they are offering a glowing review in return for free products. Not only is this behavior just plain wrong but it also invalidates and discredits the person and their reviews.

Personally I take a lot of reviews with a pinch of salt and in most cases either don't read or watch and simply skim over. I have noticed that there are far too many reviewers who either seem to love everything they review or alternatively are not experienced enough IMO to be reviewing and recommending products or otherwhise. In the case of YouTube reviewers there are a large number that display poor shaving techniques etc. and again IMO are not at a stage in the hobby where they should be recommending products or otherwhise.

To give a bad review because you did not receive free product takes it to another level altogether.

i already wrote some sort of answer in a US forum thread about one APR product (FBR) the other day. the guy was happy, and loved the scent, like me!, but the big concern of the user was the price, and I stated the same you said here, that well,he said that he would buy more on a lower range priceso I said that we have the same problem here, where their US based artisan soaps are much cheaper in the US than here.
https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/apr-fougere-bourbon-rose-1st-impressions.526783/
The review was positive form the guy, as were the rest of answerers
I already thought about placing some reviews in maggard (I already found some made by US costumers) but didn't have time properly give a proper review.
I have also made one review time ago in a spanish forum, hoping to made more when time let me do it. But I am a newbie, so I also want keep trying more for being able to made better reviews.

Any way, I see unfair form people to review a product after a single use, even if the first time is absolutely magnificent. WE also need some time to properly use a product in order to make a honest judjement. I wouldn't wrote a review of something before several trials. I may be temped to say something, like with cella, that I didn't like the scent, in some subuforums, or threads, as a side effect (like in SOTD), and because this is something normally more stable (if you don't like at all a scent, it is harder to end up loving it), but for performance, at least try a product both bowl and face lathering, different brushes, beard growth.... The quality and subjetive evaluation of a product is not a science art (even we on sience spend a lot of time modelling uncertainty, as absolute certainty is unexistant). And also, someone may be shaving in a warm-summer environment with a more winter fragance, and this may affect the evaluation

cheers
Fer

To be clear, the reception to AP Reserve in the US has been nothing short of phenomenal and Maggards has reordered in response. My concern is that comments from novice users or 'blog site product shills' who got shown the door could colour the experience of the product unfairly. I have to ensure that people looking at the product have the widest variety of opinions possible available to them.

One of the reviews published to the world at large is from an editor on a popular paid 'blog site' who made solicitations to my company. What he didn't realise is that I do not send free products to anyone for what is essentially a paid advertisement under the guise of editorial or a review. It's dishonest, potentially actionable in Australia and quite frankly it can stay in the gutter where it belongs. I won't name him, but you are free to search his name, published with his 'review' and establish your own connection to his affiliations. I won't comment again on this chump, it wastes my time.
That's just ridiculous mate. I've never asked for anything of that nature, here, on my YouTube videos or on blogs. The fact that people have the temerity to try and get the soap maker to make samples and ship it all the way out the them boggles my mind.

I read the Maggart "review" by that joker - everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it just came across as pompous and ill-informed. Hence, I posted a review for Bay City last week.
I am delighted (but not surprised) that my P&C brethren have followed suit with similar positive reviews. We are tough critics, and thus when we almost universally love a product range (APR), it speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Many thanks to those people who left reviews, your taking a couple of minutes to give your opinion of the AP Reserve soaps is appreciated by @Sxot and myself :)