I should get back to work..

Ferret619

Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs
2018 Sabbatical
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I have been cleaning up my knives lately and yesterday I spent some time on the stones with my opinel #7 Carbone.
For those who don’t know the Opinel is a cheaply made French peasant knife with a long history however they are fantastically sharp knives, some of the best slicers bar none.
As per my usual honing I run the blade across my thumb nail and wow is it sharp, like razor sharp and that’s just off a dragons tongue stone, I keep going through the stones, my balsa then the leather, wow this thing takes an edge
I can’t help but wonder how it would go as a razor, it would need to be modified of cause, no one likes a clip pointed razor....
I genuinely think there may be an inexpensive Kamisori in the making here.

Full disclosure I did order 2 opinel prior to the sabbatical starting so no risks there but they do also make “my first opinel” basically a round tip knife for the kids, what can I say, it’s french.

I just may try this, initial impression based on arm hair and hanging hair tests are VERY promising

g1mrhHTl.jpg

My opinel no 7 modified to have a drop point and a lanyard.

The next great razor?

Nice to see a basic clasp knife again. I'm tired of the all-singing, all-dancing fancy multi-tools, even Victorinox!
They are a great knife, super cheap too.
This one was $24 and is used daily in the kitchen, it’s Blade geometry make it as good of a slicer as my shuns.

They are available in many sizes and stainless should u prefer.

My knife was always cleaned and dried after each day's use.
That’s the way to do it, I love the patina on a carbon blade, makes it yours just that bit more.

I would be in trouble if I show up in the office with a knife. I don’t even have apples to use it on.

Which is why I keep getting kitchen knives.
Ultra sharp implements of veggie prep

I love my knives but yes there is a time and place for them.
With the popularity of scary looking tactical folders at its peak (well a tad past) it’s easy to unnerve people regardless of your feelings on knife politics.
I think there should be a blanket law for say under 3.5” being legal as we all open packages, cut food, rope or that sort of thing at some point in our week.