I used some lovely rocks last weekend

Havachat45

I just thought I would share my experiences from a couple of weekends ago.

We had a catch-up with a few of the local guys and I had the opportunity to use both the Chosera 1K and the Sigma Ceramic 13K.

As some of you will know, the Chosera is the preferred option for a lot of professional honers around the place and, after using it, I can see why.

It is a very soft stone to use and yet cuts really fast. I was able to set a bevel on a smiling blade in a matter of minutes and the scratch pattern was very light, making the rest of the honing process quicker as well.

One of the guys honed his razor using only the Chosera and the Sigma 13K. I would not ordinarily go from a bevel setter to a finisher, however apparently, it worked very well, from what I have heard.

I had a Simmonds blade with me that needed a bit more work as the blade was 'not quite there' in terms of sharpness.

I used the Sigma 13K with a light slurry, diluting to water as I went - all I can say is "WOW" - I shaved with it that night and couldn't even feel stubble for a day and a half!!

For anyone wanting to hone their own razors, I don't reckon you could go past these hones.

Nice post.... straighties aren't my thing but like the sharpening aspect of it, though I'm purely focused on knives myself.

Know a lot of the guys order their Chosera's and also Shaptons from Jende Industries....expensive suckers indeed.

Personally, I quite like my Coticule for Honing.

The learning curve was very steep, but after lots of practice, I am now able to get an edge out of it that I am more than happy with!

Anyone else used a coti?

I have recently got my second Coti and am still learning it's nuances.

I've got a few naturals and really like them.

2 x coticles
1 x Thuringian
2 x JNats
3 x Welsh slates
1 x Cambrian
1 x PHIG and
a couple of ones I don't know the name of.

I want a Zulu Grey too

Mmmmmmmmm now that I list them, I might have HAD (Hone Aquisition Disorder) starting

Just an update

Well my Sigma set arrived a few months ago and I've giving them a workout in combination with a mates 3/8 Naniwa (temporarily swapped for my Norton 4/8).

Done about 50 blades since I got them.

Lovely edges and great value - even better now that the AUD is up against the Yen

I've also expanded the natural stable as well: -
Now got three coticles and three JNats with an artificial Nagura and two natural ones.

Loving the edges off both styles

I assume that if someone like me (who knows nothing) looked at the edges on your blades, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between any of them. Having worked with a bunch of different stones and coticules, do you find that you get different results from each of them? I always thought that a shave-ready edge was a shave-ready edge.

I assume that if someone like me (who knows nothing) looked at the edges on your blades, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between any of them. Having worked with a bunch of different stones and coticules, do you find that you get different results from each of them? I always thought that a shave-ready edge was a shave-ready edge.

I take it you haven't got stones for your knives yet, Mong?

I was all set to get them, but to be honest, my newest Tojiro is still going pretty strong and only needs a touch up every few weeks from the EF 1500 stone. It makes it hard to justify something like this when I consider some upcoming expenses for uni. I've been hunting around a few forums for a good second hand deal, but no luck yet. I'm thinking about just getting a King 1k stone from that seller you posted up in the knife thread. Almost half the price of the Bester 1.2k once shipping is factored in.

Carba Tec have a Melbourne store too. It's in Springvale (CARBA-TEC), not that I know where that is in the scheme of things. King stones are probably, from what I've read, the most popular stone in Japan and are stocked by most stores. Yes it'll dish like a good'n but most whet stones will. And for the amount of use you and I put it to it's not really such a drag. Just buy some wet and dry sandpaper and flatten it every now and then. It really is a good first stone to have in my opinin.

Thanks mate, unfortunately it's a good hike to where the store is. I might give them a call and see if it'll knock off some postage though. You used one of those diamond plate doohickeys to lap your stones, right? That's one area in which I'm a bit wary. Not because it's hard to find sandpaper or that drywall stuff, but because I'm going to struggle finding something around the house that's perfectly flat (or close to it). Maybe a silly question, but could I just use a loose tile?

Havachat, do you do knives with your stones too?

Thanks mate, unfortunately it's a good hike to where the store is. I might give them a call and see if it'll knock off some postage though. You used one of those diamond plate doohickeys to lap your stones, right? That's one area in which I'm a bit wary. Not because it's hard to find sandpaper or that drywall stuff, but because I'm going to struggle finding something around the house that's perfectly flat (or close to it). Maybe a silly question, but could I just use a loose tile?

Yes I bought a diamond plate. Not one of the huge ones but big enough to use for flattening and small enough to use as a hand held sharpening stone/device. With regards the sandpaper all you need is a bit of bench space next to the sink. An old loose tile would be perfect. Just need to make sure it doesn't move around when it's being used.

I second the idea about using the tile. Found one that was perfectly flat and smooth at Lowes, it was from an open box. 1 or 2 dollars.

Yeah, Mong, I do.

There are some knives in the kitchen SWMBO won't even look at let alone use....hehehe