If you have ever considered it, why don't you shave with a straight razor (including shavette type)?

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
If you haven't heard already, once you learn the technique, straight razor (SR) shaving can give you the closest, most comfortable shave with no skin irritation.

Why don't you shave with a straight razor ( this includes a shavette type)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I did use a straight for some years when I was only shaving my face, but when I took to shaving my head also on a daily basis (nearly 20 years ago), I went back to using a safety razor.

Some people make a habit of repeating that claim that you can only get a proper shave with a straight razor. I'll just be polite (enjoy that while it lasts) and say it has no basis in fact.

In particular, some of the AC types of safety razor deliver a shave with a similar feel to a straight (owing to the stiffness of these blades), but any number of us can demonstrate that it is perfectly possible to achieve a perfect BBS with a DE razor.

@Gargravarr, and your reason?
My reason for stopping using a straight? Pragmatism. There is nothing holy or even inherently superior about using a straight razor.

I figured that while it is possible that I would have figured out how to shave my dome without resorting to a foolish dance with mirror in one hand and razor in the other, I can easily do so with my eyes shut or in the dark with a safety razor, all within a sensible timeframe.

I would stuff the edge - and then you have problems

@Mark was kind enough to help me into straights, yet lost touch with him to hone a straight, help me learn how to hone, along with not having the required equipment and a family member damaging the straight being my reasons.
I would like to try again one day, particularly alongside learning to hone properly.

I personally prefer a perfect edge wrapped in paper always ready for me...the upkeep (stropping, honing, drying...) is just too much time, I'd rather spend that time building lather :D

Straight shaving definitely opened my eyes to how perfectly close a good shave can be and lifted the bar for DE razors to aspire towards.
A few of our fellow members enablers have me thinking the Blackland Vector or Colonial General might be close to straight and requires further investigation. Maybe when I run out of DE blades :unsure:
I admit I was very nervous about using a straight and expected to be covered in so many weepers that I would abandon it after a few attempts but it has had the opposite effect.
If I had the time would happily straight shave every day to perfect my shaving technique and honing skills. There is an added level of satisfaction using a tool you have sharpened yourself just like a good chisel or knife.