If you only kept 5 soaps what would they be?

Ebonysw45

I’m looking at running down all my soaps to a useable 5. What would your selection be? Scent, price and functionality all play their part. I’ve decided on 4 staples and 1 rotating for a change. The Staples for me have to have continued availability, so soap base X from unobtainium producers are unfortunately out.

So far.

MDC
Castles Forbes Lavender
Tabac

I admire your determination and see myself eventually doing the same as I've collected way too many soaps that sit there half empty.

As for limiting the choice to 5, its really difficult as most of my soaps are either LE or seasonal so availability moving forward complicates things?

Saying that, I could easily just use Cella or MWF as both are solid performers and somewhat available locally but I'm sure I'd tire of the scent or lack of in MWF's case quite quickly...? Plus Cella come in bulk but I'd then need to separate it up and that's just time consuming and storage could lead to spoilage/loss of scent...?

Seeing that Stirling is available locally then I'd happily stock up on the Bay Rum or Black Cherry as I love the scent and pound for pound its worth the price and performs wonderfully... (y)

I admire your determination and see myself eventually doing the same as I've collected way too many soaps that sit there half empty.

As for limiting the choice to 5, its really difficult as most of my soaps are either LE or seasonal so availability moving forward complicates things?

Saying that, I could easily just use Cella or MWF as both are solid performers and somewhat available locally but I'm sure I'd tire of the scent or lack of in MWF's case quite quickly...? Plus Cella come in bulk but I'd then need to separate it up and that's just time consuming and storage could lead to spoilage/loss of scent...?

Seeing that Stirling is available locally then I'd happily stock up on the Bay Rum or Black Cherry as I love the scent and pound for pound its worth the price and performs wonderfully... (y)
2 I have yet to try, and from what I have seen 1 of them will makes it’s way to the 5.

I haven't yet tried MdC, but it's probably next on the buy list. Pretty much universally liked, and the price is more palatable given that it seems to last forever.

Mine would be, in order of how much I use them:
  1. Mitchell's Wool Fat
  2. Mike's Natural Soap (Orange and Peppercorn)
  3. Pannacrema (Lavandotto)
  4. Tabac / Irisch Moos
  5. P.160 Tipo Duro (original, not the RazoRock reproduction)

A&E - All Bases (especially Kaizen) and all scents i have tried so far
B&M - Both reserve and Exelsior
Stirling
Whispers from the Woods - All things Nice
Declaration Grooming (only used tallow base but love it)
Squadron - Group Capt Blend / The Warden (I know you asked for 5 but i cant keep these out of the rotation as both scents are amazing)

MdC:
  1. Agrumes
  2. Rose
  3. L'Original
  4. Vetyver
  5. Fern

hey rabid, i have McC Agrumes and have used it a few times, but to say i have been underwhelmed is an understatement. I didnt find it bad at all, but nothing special.. now this is more than likely due to me (possibly overloading at the start), is there a special method to get the best out of it?

hey rabid, i have McC Agrumes and have used it a few times, but to say i have been underwhelmed is an understatement. I didnt find it bad at all, but nothing special.. now this is more than likely due to me (possibly overloading at the start), is there a special method to get the best out of it?
Hey @StratMan. For me, I find I get the best lather from MdC if I do a couple of quick swirls with a pretty damp brush (no water dripping off). I then proceed to paint and swirl on the face, adding drops of water to the brush as I go. I find I get my best lathers when I use my Chubby 2.

Wow not even a MWF. MDC for the win.
Maybe I replied too hastily. I liked the fact that there are 5 scented MdC soaps. This made the selection easy. However, coming back to it, I can't believe I did not have a B&M soap on there. My list was also not in order of preference. I would consider swapping the Agrumes for B&M Cologne Russe

Just to add a couple more, subject to availability:

Any Squadron soap as the scents are some of my favourites
Mikes Natural Soap - older formula (supplied in the tin)

If I could keep just one scent it's hard to go past Declaration Grooming Chatillon Lux Collaboration Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli as it smells amazing and the older base works great!!! :love:

Hey @StratMan. For me, I find I get the best lather from MdC if I do a couple of quick swirls with a pretty damp brush (no water dripping off). I then proceed to paint and swirl on the face, adding drops of water to the brush as I go. I find I get my best lathers when I use my Chubby 2.

just a couple of quick swirls? hmmm.. we'll i have been loading for 30 - 60 seconds, good chance i have been overloading and my lather is under hydrated, i will give it another go tonight.. so to be sure, less than 10sec of loading with a damp brush?

This is a bit like my Desert Island Soaps poll a few weeks ago, but a choice of 5 makes it more interesting.

I tend to be disappointed more often than not with soaps (and I don't fancy unscented), so right now I would give just 3:
Stirling Bergamot Lavender
Noble Otter Two Kings
Castle Forbes Lavender

However, I've got a few more in the post that I hope will change my mind...

just a couple of quick swirls? hmmm.. we'll i have been loading for 30 - 60 seconds, good chance i have been overloading and my lather is under hydrated, i will give it another go tonight.. so to be sure, less than 10sec of loading with a damp brush?
Yeah mate, with the Chubby 2, I literally give about 3 or 4 swirls. Definitely no more than 10 secs. Look forward to hearing how you go.

In the last few years, there are artisans who are constantly tweaking their soap formulas and listening to what the wet shaving community is after. I have about two dozen Artisans for me who could easily fill this spot at producing the best soaps.

One particular area as of late is post shave. I know alot of people don't care as they apply lotions and balms afterwoods which go along way to helping with any post shave related issues. In order to be truly subjective about a shaving soap, I judge not only the preparation and performance during the shave, but also after the post shave.

Based on that, I am going to leave scents aside and give my top 10 as of August 2020. There is no way I could do less than 10. ( This is hard as there are so many good artisans and 1 or 2 commercial brands that could easily be top 40, and so many more I would like to try.)

No Particular Order

Declaration Grooming ( Milksteak Base)
Ariana & Evans ( Kaizen)
Wholly Kaw ( Siero Base)
Noble Otter (new base whatever is in Rawr and The Noir Et Vanilla is excellent)
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (CK6)
Stirling (Mutton tallow base)
Zingari Man (Sego Base)
Murphy & Mc Neal ( Kodiak Base )
Barrister & Mann (Excelsior Base)

A lot of the above artisans previous and alternate formulas are just as good. It's too difficult just to make a decision. I have a bunch of new soaps arriving soon, I am sure at 1 or 2 will change my list for next month.