Ingrams Menthol Shaving Cream

grunter

Have not posted for a while.
Can you fella's get 'Ingrams Menthol Shaving cream' over there?
Its a cheap (approx Aus$3) Uk made,well respected good cream with a lovely menthol hit.Feels very cold on the skin,
I'm wanting to spread a little love for the warm welcome i got recently when wanting advice on oz shaving stuff for an upcoming visit.However I can't see the point of sending stuff you can already get over there.
If you cant or its very expensive I'll send a few tubes across for you to try and then PIF. If it is available I'll keep looking for something you might not get.
Cheers

Hi mate,

I haven't heard of it, but I haven't really tried that many soaps/creams so that doesn't mean it isn't around.
Might be worth waiting for some more knowledgeable members to post and confirm if its available or not.

Regardless, thanks for thinking of us. If it were practical, I'd be asking you to bring over single malts and harris tweed items too :amuse:

(to give you an idea of prices, we typically pay $90AUD for a bottle of Laphroaig 10 y.o. Also, I saw in a shop on the weekend harris tweed caps for $130AUD!!! I paid about $35AUD for mine when visiting the UK and even then I was probably still paying tourist prices).

Hi grunter,

i've not heard of it. Menthol sounds like a good thing for down here!

I'd be keen to try one for that princely sum + postage :D

mr 626/SmallYetDeadly,
I'm off to buy 3 tubes today.They will have been opened just to check the consistency because there has been a bad batch fairly recently, but Ingrams have been replacing one bad tube with 3 good ones.
They will be UNUSED!
I hope you enjoy them,its getting a bit of a cult following over here.
I didnt think the menthol was that strong at first but by the time I did my second lather my eyes were beginning to water and my face was very cool.
If there is not much interest you two can have a tube each and the third PIF.
If you aussies go wild for it :) please PIF all three tubes.

Now, I will be in Sydney at the weekend so I plan to save myself a bit of brass and bring it over on the plane and then post internally. Would one of you two kindly PM with a name/address to post to and then organise a PIF if required.
I will be mostly out of circulation for the next few weeks but will try to pop in occasionally to make sure its arrived okay and what you think.
ENJOY........
Cheers

Nice one grunter. Just wished we could have offered something better than kangaroo scrotum in return! I'm not a menthol fan myself but there are plenty here that are. Thanks.

Just returned from shops with three tubes of Ingram's,all checked and okay.Also I got one tube of a 'surprise' cream shave which I will add. I have never tried this so if its not very good, I apologise- I don't think you will get this either in Oz.

Could one of you guys above who is willing to sort out the PIF side of things, PM me a name and address by late Thursday night your time, at the latest as after this I cannot guarantee that I will have access to the net until I hit NZ. I don't really want to carry 4 tubes with me if I don't have an address to post them to!
I anticipate that they will be posted from Sydney on Mon 25/3/13.

Is it warm in Sydney because its bloody cold here,just above freezing as I type and snowing.:sad2:

Would make the most sense to send to Mr626 I think as he is Sydney side also.

I'll PM my details through but only as the fall back position in case he doesn't online in time or something :)

.............Is it warm in Sydney because its bloody cold here,just above freezing as I type and snowing........

Can't talk for Sydney but just today in Perth, after a second day in a whole fortnight where the sky was overcast for a few hours, thought that maybe it's time we had some rain. I've seen a few football matches recently with shots of that 'orrible sleaty snow coming down making everything instantly very wet, very cold and very miserable. That's one thing I really don't miss about northern Europe.

mr626/Pjotr,
Got your messages and hopefully replied to them successfully.I don't how quick the Aussie postal system is but mr626 should hopefully have them by the end of next week (29/30th Mar). I hope whoever uses the creams gets on with them but if not, at least you've added another brand to your 'I've tried that' list.
I'm currently busy constructing a cardboard outershell to protect this most precious cargo during transit:embarrest:
Let me and others know what you think. I'm not expecting much from the 'surprise' cream.

No worries:laugh:
One tip: load your brush up more than you perhaps normally would and it does initially feel thin until the lather gets going.

mr 626- parcel posted this morning registered mail.Postal worker said should be with you in about 3 days.Loving Sydney!

mr 626- parcel posted this morning registered mail.Postal worker said should be with you in about 3 days.Loving Sydney!

grunter,

Thanks again for your generosity. If I have the chance I'd love to buy you a beer :)

I'm happy to say that the package arrived today, with everything in order (very well packed!).
I have to admit it was a fairly busy day at work today, and I had completely forgot about this. When the package arrived I had no idea what it was.

Very glad to hear that you are enjoying Sydney. I'm more of a country person myself, but I do enjoy visiting the city occasionally.

Anyhow, thanks to grunter I have two tubes of Ingrams to PIF, plus the mystery tube (which I plan to try for a little bit and then PIF also). If the people who expressed interest in this PIF could please shoot me a PM with postage details I'll get things happening (keeping in mind the long weekend- postage might take a little longer than normal).

Stay tuned for photos and first thoughts. I'll start with the mystery tube so I can on-send it.

Just returned from shops with three tubes of Ingram's,all checked and okay.Also I got one tube of a 'surprise' cream shave which I will add. I have never tried this so if its not very good, I apologise- I don't think you will get this either in Oz.

Could one of you guys above who is willing to sort out the PIF side of things, PM me a name and address by late Thursday night your time, at the latest as after this I cannot guarantee that I will have access to the net until I hit NZ. I don't really want to carry 4 tubes with me if I don't have an address to post them to!
I anticipate that they will be posted from Sydney on Mon 25/3/13.

Is it warm in Sydney because its bloody cold here,just above freezing as I type and snowing.:sad2:

I've been watching the weather back in Blighty the last few days, and can empathise with you. It was a bit chilly here this morning too Grunter.

I had to go back inside and grab a jumper before I went out as it had dropped to 24 degrees C.

Sadly, I am only half joking - I did feel cold enough to need the jumper.

The contents of the PIF from grunter:
IMG_20130326_154912_zpsba64b9e5.jpg

The 'mystery' stick is also a menthol lather. Not sure if you can see it in the photo, but the brand is 'Boots'. I remember seeing quite a few Boots stores when I was over there- basically a chemist chain like our Amcal or Terry White.

IMG_20130326_184715_zps7980bba1.jpg

Here's the opening combo. Everything is from 'Team GB' other than the blade :cheesy: I did say I'd try the mystery tube first, but I'll try that tomorrow.

Here's a quick run-down on the Ingram:

Scent: Hard to put my finger on it- I asked the wife and she said the same. The best I can come up with is citrus and spice. I found the menthol fairly potent, but that could just be because I'm not used to it (this is my first time using a menthol soap/cream). Doesn't seem to linger much after the shave.

Performance: Above average (I may revise this upwards as I use it more and get a better feel for it). My process:
-Wet face
-Wet brush
-Apply a small amount of Ingram to the brush
-Lather up
-First pass: WTG
-Wet face
-Second pass: XTG

First pass was great- very smooth and effortless. Didn't take long for the menthol to quick in either- a very different sensation but not unpleasant. The cooling and numbing properties of this stuff are great, and I can see this being an excellent warm weather product. Second pass was good, but not as good as the first. The lather was the right consistency but there just wasn't enough of it- I think I just need to be a bit more liberal with the Ingram.

Overall, a very positive experience. The menthol sensation is great, and the scent is pleasant enough too. A great product for the price, and if it were easily avaliable here I'd happily have it as a regular in my rotation (particularly a Summer one!).

Will post updates as I use this more, as I don't think a single use is enough to really judge a product.

Thanks again to our generous friend from across the pond. I hope that you enjoy your time here in Aus, and that the drop bears leave you alone.

Glad it arrived intact!I'll be very interested in the review of Boots cream because I've never used it.
I've bought a couple of tubes of Fauldings/Shave whilst here and I must say its as good as any other cheap cream I've used.Nice manly smell, (not a feminine scent this one) and a decent lather.
What I have found interesting is the HUGE mark up on English shaving products in Oz.
I'll keep upto date with this thread when free wi-fi/family allow

Yup, the Boots cream is up next. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.