Internet connection

Totally get it for you - would be a luxury for me :)

As opposed to my brief stint as a college student living on campus in the US midwest in 1999 (yes, last century) where the dorms all had T1 connections (1.544 Mbps) which I thought was AMAZING compared to my new super fast 56k modem ...

Xan see you struggling @Mark1966 - The beancounter side thinking a lift in fees of .25% would more than cover it - while the happy clapper side chants "yield not unto temptation" and "get thee behind me Satan".

I had a similar issue when I moved into my current place. A new build, NBN ready but not connected. Because it was a subdivision, a nightmare to get NBN to simply connect us to the network as we needed to provide a "development plan". No amount of explaining that we were the purchasers of the property and not developers would suffice, we simply got caught in a loop of generic response emails to that effect.
Frustrated with this, the simplest solution was to get a 12 month Sim only plan from Vodafone (Optus may be better for your area), put the Sim into an old 4G phone I had lying around and use it as a portable hotspot. A bonus was that it came with 12 months free Netflix. I'll never get NBN, been flawless for my needs. Netflix streaming without buffering. Current plan gets me unlimited data with 90GB p/m at the fastest speed for $60. As the meerkats keep telling us...simples!

nbn™ Fibre to the Node (FTTN) has been used in your connection to the broadband access network.

So I am assuming this is no good?
Run your address through this http://nbnmtm.australiaeast.cloudapp.azure.com/
Basically tells you the expected speeds for the technology available at your address. I can't recommend Aussie Broadband enough, been with them for years and can't fault them and anyone with an account can give you $50 your first month with a referral code.

You deserve a bit of luxury, Mate. ;)

Finally bit the bullet after increasing issues with Internode

Not sure I will regret it -

ZChqYiCh.png

I don't have an option for any kind of physical connection (Cu or fibre) since I live halfway up a mountain, with 1.5km of steep, winding and very rough gravel driveway between my house and the road, so when I moved in in 2012 my best option was fixed wireless (then 3G) which I used to think was crap having been used to really good ADSL2+ connections on the big island in the North, but most visitors from UK and Europe seemed to think was really good. Not cheap, though.

For the last few years I've been operating on satellite NBN for $52/month with iiNet (one way or another I've had an account open with iiNet for 18 years, even if just for email, and found their service to be good). Most people here in Tassie have less reliability issues with satellite than cable, which seems strange, but we've had no problems.

If you're into gaming, the speed is probably too slow: ~25MB/s, with 700ms ping times due to the 22,000 miles between us and the Sky Muster satellite. But streaming and Skype/zoom/etc work OK.

I don't have an option for any kind of physical connection (Cu or fibre) since I live halfway up a mountain, with 1.5km of steep, winding and very rough gravel driveway between my house and the road, so when I moved in in 2012 my best option was fixed wireless (then 3G) which I used to think was crap having been used to really good ADSL2+ connections on the big island in the North, but most visitors from UK and Europe seemed to think was really good. Not cheap, though.

For the last few years I've been operating on satellite NBN for $52/month with iiNet (one way or another I've had an account open with iiNet for 18 years, even if just for email, and found their service to be good). Most people here in Tassie have less reliability issues with satellite than cable, which seems strange, but we've had no problems.

If you're into gaming, the speed is probably too slow: ~25MB/s, with 700ms ping times due to the 22,000 miles between us and the Sky Muster satellite. But streaming and Skype/zoom/etc work OK.
One option I've seen people do:
1. Find a neighbour with good internet (preferably fibre)
2. Use a point-to-point link to forward data up the mountain
3. Bask in high throughput glory

I'm told this can work over quite long distances - multiple kms (line of sight).

Update:
- Building-to-building: ~500m https://store.ui.com/collections/un...ng/products/unifi-building-to-building-bridge
- Standard point-to-point: ~2km https://store.ui.com/collections/wireless/products/af60-us
- Some of their other solutions handle up to 300km. But, that might be overkill.

I have some equipment from these guys and have been very happy with it. Though, it's well above consumer grade.
ie: You're not going to to find it at JB Hifi.

... It may still not be worth it to most people. But, it's what I would be doing because I don't like being told I can't have something. :woot:

One option I've seen people do:
1. Find a neighbour with good internet (preferably fibre)
2. Use a point-to-point link to forward data up the mountain
3. Bask in high throughput glory

I'm told this can work over quite long distances - multiple kms (line of sight).

Update:
- Building-to-building: ~500m https://store.ui.com/collections/un...ng/products/unifi-building-to-building-bridge
- Standard point-to-point: ~2km https://store.ui.com/collections/wireless/products/af60-us
- Some of their other solutions handle up to 300km. But, that might be overkill.

I have some equipment from these guys and have been very happy with it. Though, it's well above consumer grade.
ie: You're not going to to find it at JB Hifi.

... It may still not be worth it to most people. But, it's what I would be doing because I don't like being told I can't have something. :woot:

We are not quite line of sight are we? What a shame ...