Joe from Melbourne

Jcos

Hi all,

I’m Joe from Melbourne.

I started DE shaving about four months ago and am hooked. I shave every day and love the whole shaving process. Especially love the sound of my whiskers getting mowed down.

At the moment I am using a Muhle R89 with feather blade, which I think is an excellent first razor. Very forgiving. Once I have mastered my technic I would like to start trying some of my other razors. I use Proraso pre-shave and then Mitchell’s Fat Wool soap. It lathes up really nice for me and feels really good on the skin. I have tried Proraso Green soap and doesn’t even come close for me. But I really think the Proraso Green aftershave is awesome, nice sting and cool feeling.

I have best and pure badger brushes, but I prefer my $12 Omega Boar bristle.

I now have an obsession and have been buying a whole heap of razors, including some vintage Gillette’s. Through this obsession and Ebay purchases, I was able to make contact with a champion of a guy from SA. He suggested this forum, so here I am.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to reading others experiences and advice, and hope to offer my own experiences and advice as well.

Welcome to the forum @Jcos. You will certainly find a lot of like minded individuals here and I am sure we will be able to help you dig your way further down the rabbit hole.

Is the person from SA that you met through ebay a member here also?

Welcome @Jcos - I am sure you will have a fantastic time here (y)

Your line-up is already very impressive, no wonder you enjoy your shaves so much ;)

Welcome Joe!! Nice to see you here. Sounds like you are definitely on the right track with your current line up. Watch out for all these enablers haha

Do any of you guys use a scuttle (shaving bowl)?
and if yes are they any good, or is a $2 rice bowl good enough.
A scuttle is one of those things that you either use and love or don't use at all. Most people that I know of that have used a scuttle swear by them. Personally I face lather so all I need is a mug to soak my brush in (these days I generally only have my brush in there for a minute anyway) and a bowl for lathering samples in (I used a cheap $2 soup bowl for ages for this).

Definitely a case of each to their own.

Welcome mate - potter around and enjoy your stay!