JRR Amazon?

Ferret619

Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs
2018 Sabbatical
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
As many of you know Amazon has bought the rights alone to create a Tolkien/Middle Earth Tv series for around $250m with some story stipulation*, People are talking about this as being a Game of Thrones killer, what do you think?

I’m personally very hopeful, there are thousands of years of middle earth history and with the cash being thrown around in epic TV series I’m so optimistic about this, I just really hope the do a good job of ensuring continuity and and leaving any sex stuff out of it, please oh please Amazon, don’t F this up.
As far as Game of thrones goes I don’t even care.

*250m for the rights alone!
Also I understand the stipulations in place serve to ensure Tolkien’s vision is maintained.

I think that we're well down the path desire by those that want us to pay per view, despite already effectively being paid via ad revenue, thus make a conscious decision to object and not pay to view it.
Still managed to watch TGT despite it initially being behind a paywall.

GoT is a great series of twist and turns using cunning, sex, mystery and violence hence the mainstream success.
Tolkien is a niche viewer market IMHO. Not sure if I want to see hobbits going for it, unless killing each other as they annoy me so much. Never finished the Hobbit as I wanted to kill every Hobbit before they left the village.
However elves are another matter.

Wish someone did a GoT style of Harry Potter when they have all grown up as it is a rather violent world they live in and not so innocent as they imply.

Last edited:
As many of you know Amazon has bought the rights alone to create a Tolkien/Middle Earth Tv series for around $250m with some story stipulation*, People are talking about this as being a Game of Thrones killer, what do you think?

I’m personally very hopeful, there are thousands of years of middle earth history and with the cash being thrown around in epic TV series I’m so optimistic about this, I just really hope the do a good job of ensuring continuity and and leaving any sex stuff out of it, please oh please Amazon, don’t F this up.
As far as Game of thrones goes I don’t even care.

*250m for the rights alone!
Also I understand the stipulations in place serve to ensure Tolkien’s vision is maintained.
Could be good as long as amazon don't butcher it like Jackson did with the Hobbit. How the hell that was made into a three part film with a love story between an elf and a dwarf is beyond me. If they keep it close to the original story it'll be great. FWIW I also couldn't care less about GoT.

I love the complexity of the Middle earth world and given that there are thousands of years of “history” its such a rich area, it could be so great.

I love the complexity of the Middle earth world and given that there are thousands of years of “history” its such a rich area, it could be so great.
Indeed it could be. I'd love to see a series on the wars of Sauron and the Elves of the second age.