July 2021 SHAVING Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just took delivery. Time to clean up and get to
making me some pink scales.
Nice looking blade. I do like these square points. (y) It'll be perfect in pink... :giggle:
A few new soap brands to try, a few unobtaniums , and a new tub of Ozymandias to replace my 20% left tub.
It's hard for me to get my head around you ever finishing a tub... :unsure::LOL:

i5f1DfL.jpg

More soaps. From the WCS clearance sale. Shipped 15/6, arrived 8/7. Much quicker than Maggards/Asendia. Not any soaps that I would have bought full retail, but 30% off, worth a try. Tribute was the one I was most curious about. Sort of like bubblegum meets barbershop. Hydra is a sharp tangy citrus combo (great for me since I like anything citrus) enough for me to overlook that metal soap tin. Aegyptus smells like dark bread yeast, Humanitas is like cinnamon and spice, K Shave works Miami is like a fruity cologne and Uncle Jon's Cucumber Melon smells very melony.

Right, here I go:

Old Coticule whetstone.

LGZMpXT.jpg

Vintage Escher whetstone.

ZqqUGRe.jpg

Lapped and chamfered, ready to rock.

2PyqNjU.jpg

Set of two German razors. The Politician. Unknown maker but who cares, they need a bit of work but perfectly savageable.

seLY89n.jpg

Last, but not least, the item I am most happy about: Adolphe Arbenz Mandarin frameback, together with nearly all accessories, and a spare blade, underneath the lining of the lid, which I am fairly sure the seller didn't even know about.

AdwBMCM.jpg

Chuffed to bits. :)

Right, here I go:

Old Coticule whetstone.

LGZMpXT.jpg

Vintage Escher whetstone.

ZqqUGRe.jpg

Lapped and chamfered, ready to rock.

2PyqNjU.jpg

Set of two German razors. The Politician. Unknown maker but who cares, they need a bit of work but perfectly savageable.

seLY89n.jpg

Last, but not least, the item I am most happy about: Adolphe Arbenz Mandarin frameback, together with nearly all accessories, and a spare blade, underneath the lining of the lid, which I am fairly sure the seller didn't even know about.

AdwBMCM.jpg

Chuffed to bits. :)
You will love the edge of those and the Arbenz's is a great shaver.
49997160961_274e560d74_z.jpg

You will love the edge of those and the Arbenz's is a great shaver.
49997160961_274e560d74_z.jpg
That's great to know. I have yet to try the Coti, I am following a very methodical approach to my learning process, my Thüringen has been my only natural stone, so I will stick with it for a while. But I absolutely will give the Coti a go soon, as soon as I flatten it and, possibly, fix its box.

:) I bet you are. Will you let us know the progress getting the Frameback shave ready?
Also what size is the Coticule. In the image it seems if it may be fine, but you can't really tell.
Steve

I absolutely will. I have quite a few restorations that I need to finish first, but I will get to it, eventually.

The Coticule is 153 mm x 40 mm x 5,65 mm.

However, the yellow layer will have to be reduced to a width of ~2,1 mm. At its widest, the stone also has a BBW base layer, so the actual yellow layer is thinner, but the stone is heavily dished in the middle. By my reckoning, that will be the ultimate width I'll end up with once I flatten it.

In any case, plenty of life in the old lady.

Pretty stoked to have acquired my first vintage adjustable!

Picked up this Gillette Slim L1 (1966) for $15 today.

After cleaning:

Could probably get it a bit cleaner but as good as I could do with detergent and a brush for now.

I noticed some slight blade gap differences on one half (one shoulder of the razor but on both edges) I saw a thread about using a butter knife to fix this but thought I'd ask the experts @Mark1966 for any advice and or videos. Thanks :)

I noticed some slight blade gap differences on one half (one shoulder of the razor but on both edges) I saw a thread about using a butter knife to fix this but thought I'd ask the experts @Mark1966 for any advice and or videos. Thanks :)

[sigh]

blade gap ...

[sigh]

I think I've improved about 2/3 rds of those I've worked on and stuffed the rest.

If we are talking about adjusting the guard bars then leverage or sometimes tapping back into correct alignment can work - you just need to be gentle and patient.

If we are talking about the mechanism causing the issue then more investigation of the cause is needed to know what is out.

Look what happens when your in lockdown for a week
PZtWI6M.jpg

A big ThanQ to @Mark1966 for enabling offering some of his personal stash of vintage razors, helping to select a few that might suit my preferences and for all the free vintage unobtanium blades.

Hopefully I have labelled these correctly:

Cased #58
zPcW63Z.jpg

Cased New Improved Big Fellow
7d28aLE.jpg

Fatboy - in awesome highly polished condition
dfdW4fo.jpg

ABC Pocket Edition - A beautiful ornate piece of shaving art
yp9BKrF.jpg

#15 Aristocrat - talk about enabling I only asked about this one
y9DDnXt.jpg

all the free vintage blades
et94vN0.jpg

also collected these two beauties while at the post office
AqWYQal.jpg

I think I need a bigger curio
4yZ1drZ.jpg

Thank you P&C and all the generous members (y)(y)(y)

That Cased New Improved Big Fellow is actually a Big Boy Gold De Luxe.

1930%20NEW%20Big%20Boy%20Gold%20De%20Luxe.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.