Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
HAPPY NEW [FINANCIAL] YEAR!

What shaving acquisitions does this new financial year bring people?

Post details of your shaving acquisitions here (with pics please - we love pics)

Cool non-shaving stuff here

Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite Shave Soap Tub - Triple Milled Tallow Shaving Soap Puck
O4M24l4.jpg

IMG-20220705-145250.jpg

The last Lavender Patch on the BDSC website. I'm sure there's more elsewhere, but this will do me nicely. Cheers, @CraigE. (y) The G5C knot from AP Shave Co will go straight back into the post to @TroyTools for a certain long-term project. The turnaround time for AP packages to get from Canada to here is always staggering - in this case 4 weeks to Sydney, then 3 weeks meandering around NSW and VIC before arriving here, but IMO these are the best synthetics money can buy.

Well, I’ve been a bit spendy….I decided that I need a few more brushes to give them time to fully dry given that it’s wet season where I live. I like dense scrubby brushes.

- Zenith Best Badger 27 x 51mm

- Zenith Copper Manchurian 2 band 28+ x 51 mm

- Zenith Manchurian 27.5 x 51mm

- Short & Scrubby Zenith Boar 24 x 48mm

- Shavemac Silvertip D01 2 Band Fan 24 x 48mm

Shavemac currently have a 20% Summer Discount (last day tomorrow!!!)

IMG-20220705-145250.jpg

The last Lavender Patch on the BDSC website. I'm sure there's more elsewhere, but this will do me nicely. Cheers, @CraigE. (y) The G5C knot from AP Shave Co will go straight back into the post to @TroyTools for a certain long-term project. The turnaround time for AP packages to get from Canada to here is always staggering - in this case 4 weeks to Sydney, then 3 weeks meandering around NSW and VIC before arriving here, but IMO these are the best synthetics money can buy.
this would of been nice information a few days ago.. ok we'll got one the way so will have to see about that :)

now to think of my next @TroyTools project :unsure:

Yeah, fool me, I know synthetics and I don't get along but still trying to prove otherwise.
26mm G5C knot on the way from AP Shave Co to fit Blue Devil Doral (Native Olive) handle
uonVN0P.png

Yeah, fool me, I know synthetics and I don't get along but still trying to prove otherwise.
26mm G5C knot on the way from AP Shave Co to fit Blue Devil Doral (Native Olive) handle
uonVN0P.png

Nice handle, sounds like a great combo. I'd suggest setting the knot as high as possible to get all the splay, unless you prefer a really tight focus. But you should find it works well both as a painter and scrubber without hogging your lather.

Nice handle, sounds like a great combo. I'd suggest setting the knot as high as possible to get all the splay, unless you prefer a really tight focus. But you should find it works well both as a painter and scrubber without hogging your lather.

does that go for the lansky hd also? setting as high as possible?

uonVN0P.png

honestly I love most of my synthetics, especially the cheapo yaqi's. the tuxedo, pony and mew brown knots are great. also have a cheap RR which I think is a plissoft I really enjoy too.

I have a g4 that's avg and an oumo g5 which feels amazing in my hand but not so good for lathering I think cos its a short knot and set deep

hopefully this lansky is a good one

does that go for the lansky hd also? setting as high as possible?
I can't say for sure, since I haven't tried it. Most of the G5 knots seem to have quite short fibres though, so I'm guessing that might be a yes. That Lansky appears to be a bulb though, so it won't perform the same as a fan. Even among the AP knots there's a big difference between the Japanese fibres of the G5C and the German fibres in the G5A.

I can't say for sure, since I haven't tried it. Most of the G5 knots seem to have quite short fibres though, so I'm guessing that might be a yes. That Lansky appears to be a bulb though, so it won't perform the same as a fan. Even among the AP knots there's a big difference between the Japanese fibres of the G5C and the German fibres in the G5A.

I did read that about the G5 and was going to get one and set high due to the short knot but no idea on the lansky

@TroyTools what's your opinion? BTW one is on route to you 😁

honestly I love most of my synthetics, especially the cheapo yaqi's. the tuxedo, pony and mew brown knots are great. also have a cheap RR which I think is a plissoft I really enjoy too.

I have a g4 that's avg and an oumo g5 which feels amazing in my hand but not so good for lathering I think cos its a short knot and set deep

hopefully this lansky is a good one
Hoping that Japanese fibre makes the difference. What approximate depth do you recommend @Gargravarr? Have tried a few you mentioned @StratMan (tuxedo, plissoft, G5) and moved them on.

Hoping that Japanese fibre makes the difference. What approximate depth do you recommend @Gargravarr? Have tried a few you mentioned @StratMan (tuxedo, plissoft, G5) and moved them on.
Troy set my last one just deep enough to hide the glue plug, maybe a whisker more. It might have opened up just a little since then, and I couldn't be happier with it, it gives lots of space for lather. Here's how it's looking now:

1.png

Of course, this is a 28mm, so it might have a bit more backbone than the smaller sizes. I've given up on the 28mm G5B, it came out of my CaYuen handle intact, but I'm not going to use it again. If anyone wants it, put your hand up. If I get lots of responses, I'll make it a lottery.

Troy set my last one just deep enough to hide the glue plug, maybe a whisker more. It might have opened up just a little since then, and I couldn't be happier with it, it gives lots of space for lather. Here's how it's looking now:

1.png

Of course, this is a 28mm, so it might have a bit more backbone than the smaller sizes. I've given up on the 28mm G5B, it came out of my CaYuen handle intact, but I'm not going to use it again. If anyone wants it, put your hand up. If I get lots of responses, I'll make it a lottery.
That's a beautiful brush and the one that convinced me to give G5C a go

Ooh. It'll be a bit embarrassing if you don't like it... :oops::unsure:
Knot really :wacky: even the Muhle STF could not convert me. If we dont get along will send it your way (unless 26mm is too small) and put a nice badger in the handle

Knot really :wacky: even the Muhle STF could not convert me. If we dont get along will send it your way (unless 26mm is too small) and put a nice badger in the handle
26mm is a bit on the small side for me usually, but I'm sure you'll find another taker here. If you like 2-band badgers, you might be pleasantly surprised by the G5C.

Status
Not open for further replies.