June 2018 SHAVING Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without wanting to sound a complete dick here, mate if you mix and match niche artisan fragrances without experiencing them first you are going to have a bad time.

The only thing that can work is using those soaps you have with fragrances/splashes that usually feature one forward note rather than a whole fragrance design, in a majority of cases the designs are just too complex and are designed with a distinct fragrance narrative to pair meaningfully. GLS for instance works really well with Old Spice or Barristers Reserve Spice for example.

I really advise people to buy the soap and the splash as a pair, rather than say the soap from Artisan X and the splash from Artisan Y as this happens so often and the result is often disappointment.
Apologies, not the way I meant it. I was/am always prepared to buy matching sets from the same artisan. I was just spreading myself between different scents I thought I would like (glad I didn’t get the soap and splash of the ones I didn’t like which I was considering). There were a few similar notes and was hoping I would like both offerings (Chatillon more so as I could grab the edp). Thinking I may have to try to get to TSW next time I’m in Sydney for a bit of a walkabout. Coming down a few times over the next month.

5GIKxpBl.jpg

5AgOObSl.jpg

I suppose these aren’t really shaving related really but hey ho.
The Kemi ‘ILM Parfum is just 3 different types of Oud, aged Indian Assam, Bangladesh and Laos. I say ‘just’, it quite simply doesn’t need anything else. Not something most would wear, it’s a challenge. It’s opening is quite violently pungent and basically Blue cheese and cow shit left in the sun after a couple of minutes in the blender, most would run to the shower, get through the first 30 mins or so and the rewards start coming.
I haven’t had a go the Tempest yet, it’s a 15ml Attar.

Maxim's EDT sprayer from Germany AND the girlfriend came round with some vintage purchases from this morning!! $45 for a 50s English Fat Tech, a 77 Black Beauty and a late Schick Krona. Here they are after an initial polish and clean. Yes, that's right. I have a girlfriend who feeds my RAD.

I think the retro Maxim's aftershave and EDT have the best scent. There is still some available from the bay and perhaps one of our artisans would like to resurrect the profile?

Last edited:
IMG_20180611_184453.jpg

Vintage aftershave again. This one comes in an Imperial Leather bottle and actually smells like leather. It's like English Leather from first sniff but is more complex. Citrus and leather? Intriguing and I can't help myself on the bay...
To an oldie like me that takes me back a lot of years really nice good score enjoy @Greenpike

ySFzWygl.jpg

Stray Whisker order arrived.
Can't wait to try it all out.
Not sure if I will go for Wickham Classic 24 and the Platinum splash tomorrow or the Bon Vivant Soap and Splash combo.
That YRP is killer!
I think it'll pair ok with XXX for now, I can't justify buying any more soap or aftershaves for a while, need to finish what I have!

Still waiting on my Karve Razor to ship, ordered on the 23rd but haven't heard anything or had a reply to my email a few days ago, hopefully it arrived before I leave for a few months at the end of the month.

Still waiting on my Karve Razor to ship, ordered on the 23rd but haven't heard anything or had a reply to my email a few days ago, hopefully it arrived before I leave for a few months at the end of the month.

What plate/s did you end up ordering? I'm eyeing the C or B

What plate/s did you end up ordering? I'm eyeing the C or B

I ordered the D plate. I'm going home to Canada for Christmas this year with the family so I figured I could pick up more if I needed to.

I'm sure glad that I didn't wait till then to order the razor though, who know how long the wait times will be as we get closer to Christmas!

guETJ6ql.jpg

Mail call from TSW. I deliberated for a long time over what to order, and tried to spread to cover my bases. Unfortunately, not a huge fan of the bon vivant or GLS scents. Think my nose just ain't that fancy. Hoping the BV might change a little when lathered, however the GLS doesn't pass the wife test. I was hoping the tobacco/leather would partner with the project leather somewhat, but totally different. Kicking myself that I didn't go for TSM Fougere or the YRP. Ahh well, if anyone wants to talk trade lol

I have had the Bon Vivant soap for awhile now.
It took me a little bit to warm up to it to be honest but I do enjoy it now.

I just recently got the matching aftershave and it made me realise something about the soap.

I may be wrong but to me there is an additional scent in the soap that is not in the aftershave which I can only imagine is the smell of the bison tallow.

For me the aftershave smells amazing and the soap smells pretty good.

Just my two cents

I ordered the D plate. I'm going home to Canada for Christmas this year with the family so I figured I could pick up more if I needed to.

I'm sure glad that I didn't wait till then to order the razor though, who know how long the wait times will be as we get closer to Christmas!
I placed my order for a D plate and Top cap on the 23rd of May and finally received confirmation for shipping today, so here's hoping you're next...? I think 12 days is the postage time and can't wait to give it a shave soon :)

5UrZLjQl.jpg

Some blades! Thanks @Nightguard , oh and for the couple of extra's too.:)
Super Swords rock - nice pickup, @Pbgoose. @Nightguard is always a (dare I say it?) gentleman to deal with. Not because I doubt Nightguard's nature, which is rock solid, but more because the G word is verboten on this Forum. I hope the moderators will cut me some slack, given the descriptive use of the term on this occasion.

MOD EDIT: Slack cut [we are watching you thought]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.