just getting started

thatguy

Hi All,

Just getting started with a DE razor after buying a Jack the Barber set on sale at the Supermarket. I definitely cut up my face a little, but have seen the potential and am now looking for some better options.

I currently have a Yaqi Moka synthetic brush, a Final Cut adjustable, and some blades ... Well... Maybe too many blades on the way ;) It seemed like better value to get packs of 100 rather than a third of the price or so for 5 or 10 blades. So... I'll probably be posting in the swap thread soon enough (anyone got some of those super iridiums I've heard great things about?)

Any thoughts on the quality of the final cut vs the Parker variant? And if non-adjustables give better cuts and less 'chatter' than adjustable? I'm very tempted to get some of the CNC dscosmetics stainless razors as well ... or maybe the Rockwell 6S, or the Merkur 34c... I'm starting to see why many people have collections... But would love to really only get one or two great razors and stick with them if possible.

Keen on some great soap suggestions, or if anyone in Sydney is willing to loan razors etc, I'd be keen!

G'day @thatguy, welcome aboard. You'll find the YMMV acronym to be very true with shaving. What suits me might not suit you etc. As @Gargravarr said, the razor reviews are great. I too started off with a Jack the Barber setup, and I've now found a setup that I really like and I'm in no hurry to change or add to my very limited collection. Others, as you'll see, love to add all the time and have enough gear to shave several generations of descendants!

Have fun, have an open mind and be prepared for trial and error, and you'll soon have the gear that really suits you.

PS. Beware of the Vector gang, they're a very thinly disguised cult, ready to ensnare you... ;)

Welcome @thatguy !

Oh, and beware of those who warn against joining the elite Vector users, they're just not sharing the joy. ;) The same applies to Sabre users.

Ummm, you mean the Vector, as in the razor that has difficulty with blades fitting? Hmmm ...

Welcome to P&C @thatguy - great to have you here (y)

As others already said, don't buy too much at first - a good razor to get you started and to improve your technique is certainly not a bad idea...

If @Errol recommends a cheap DE razor you certainly can't go wrong 😉

Is that this one: https://www.blacklandrazors.com/products/blackbird or the single edge vector? https://www.blacklandrazors.com/products/vector
Or something else? They look gorgeous, though I'll probably stick with DE for the moment.
The Vector is the razor I'd run back into a burning building to save, but some have had problems with very recent products being made to tight tolerances that preclude use of the (IMO) best blades, Schick Prolines, unless you modify either blade or razor. See this thread.

Hi All,

Just getting started with a DE razor after buying a Jack the Barber set on sale at the Supermarket. I definitely cut up my face a little, but have seen the potential and am now looking for some better options.

I currently have a Yaqi Moka synthetic brush, a Final Cut adjustable, and some blades ... Well... Maybe too many blades on the way ;) It seemed like better value to get packs of 100 rather than a third of the price or so for 5 or 10 blades. So... I'll probably be posting in the swap thread soon enough (anyone got some of those super iridiums I've heard great things about?)

Any thoughts on the quality of the final cut vs the Parker variant? And if non-adjustables give better cuts and less 'chatter' than adjustable? I'm very tempted to get some of the CNC dscosmetics stainless razors as well ... or maybe the Rockwell 6S, or the Merkur 34c... I'm starting to see why many people have collections... But would love to really only get one or two great razors and stick with them if possible.

Keen on some great soap suggestions, or if anyone in Sydney is willing to loan razors etc, I'd be keen!
Welcome to the famous P&C Doghouse old school shaving, you've come to the right club and the most trusted people here, just make sure you don't go down into a very dark rabbit hole too bloody soon.

First of all, may I strongly recommend using the Merkur 34C, for starters and beginners, please, trust me as you watch this YouTube below. OR get the Rockwell 6C.

Don't be afraid of asking questions, just learn the basics first.

Wow, that's high praise! Is it something about the single edge blades or format, or just the razor itself is incredible?

I looked at the 9306, but was actually more intrigued by this one: https://www.amazon.com.au/WEISHI-Adjustable-Butterfly-Double-Safety/dp/B08C2SZ97N/ which looks like an updated, adjustable version. Actually had the yintai version on order, but cancelled it after ordering the final cut from the wetshavingco. One at a time...

I wouldn't start with a single edge razor...get your skills up with a double edge, especially as you have so many DE blades incoming 😉

Haha, I did have that immediate momentary regret. Not the first time, I'm sure it won't be the last...

I wouldn't start with a single edge razor...get your skills up with a double edge, especially as you have so many DE blades incoming 😉

Welcome to the rabbit whole @thatguy

3 years of DE shaving and around 50 soaps here. That’s considered modest in the wetshaving world

Oh dear... Which would be your highest recommended soap for a beginner (easy to learn with, good value, smell great... Although honestly, if there is one that is a little pricier but is better to buy once, cry once ... That's fine)

Last edited by a moderator: