Kanayama Strop Pass-around

Rami

2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Hi guys,

Well. I have been here a little while, so in order to contribute; I have decided to do a pass around of an old kanayama strop I have. It has a bit of a nick so it's not in 100 percent condition however it's good enough to do the job well.

I will be guided by @Mark1966 in terms of any protocol that needs following. For now I would like to keep it to members of good standing about 2 weeks per member.

I'd be very in for this amazing PIF but I've mainly been using Schicks lately so it'd be a shame to go to someone who isn't in full-on straight mode.

Good luck everyone!

Not a straight user myself - but very generous of you @Rami (y)

Seems I gotten my terminology mixed up. It's a pass around rather than a pass it forward. @Mark1966 would you be so kind as to change the title.

Sorry for the confusion. Hopefully a few people join in :)

I'd certainly like to try this strop as they have such a great reputation, however, I have no idea of the protocols involved - help please Mark
Thanks a lot Rami

Sorry guys, been tied up!

So to check my understanding -
  • PIF = 'Pay It Forward' = give something away now (title passes to another) in the hope/expectation/desire that 'karma' will result in something good happening to you later.
  • Pass-around = I have something I'm prepared to let others try/use but I want it returned.
  • Pass-around/PIF = combination of the above, pass it around first and give away at the end.
This seems like a Pass-around as noted above and title now fixed.

Up to @Rami to decide how he wants to organise and what conditions he may impose. There is one noted above already - 'members of good standing about 2 weeks per member' - which he can determine how he likes. You may also want to think about postage and contact details. Insisting on tracking numbers can be helpful and for more valuable items insurance. For those valuable items I've passed around I've also required a mobile number which I confirm - so I have a backup means to hound people should it all go pear shaped.

Apart from those thoughts and the disclaimer that P&C takes no responsibility for any lost, damage etc etc go for it (and thank for this contribution to the wider community here (y))

Sorry guys, been tied up!

So to check my understanding -
  • PIF = 'Pay It Forward' = give something away now (title passes to another) in the hope/expectation/desire that 'karma' will result in something good happening to you later.
  • Pass-around = I have something I'm prepared to let others try/use but I want it returned.
  • Pass-around/PIF = combination of the above, pass it around first and give away at the end.
This seems like a Pass-around as noted above and title now fixed.

Up to @Rami to decide how he wants to organise and what conditions he may impose. There is one noted above already - 'members of good standing about 2 weeks per member' - which he can determine how he likes. You may also want to think about postage and contact details. Insisting on tracking numbers can be helpful and for more valuable items insurance. For those valuable items I've passed around I've also required a mobile number which I confirm - so I have a backup means to hound people should it all go pear shaped.

Apart from those thoughts and the disclaimer that P&C takes no responsibility for any lost, damage etc etc go for it (and thank for this contribution to the wider community here (y))

The lawyer has spoken...

Would be great to try the Kanayama if I meet the criteria Rami
Are you looking to have personal reviews also as part of the conditions ?
As it would be good to get others feedback compared to their Regular daily drivers
Regards
Dion

That would be nice. But people aren't really obligated. I would like to keep let as many people try it as possible.

Now that would be cool. There was a guy on SRP that did that. Posted photos of him making his actual strop.

That's how I know he was in Tokyo. Lost the address thou. So need to look it up. Can't find the thread anymore :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I will keep this open for the rest of the week. Only 2 responses so far. Anybody else?

I thought the master retired last year and was not making the strops anymore
So only what was in stock was available

"But don't quote me" and this the only thing I remember right

No, I don't think so. I bought one from So recently

He is getting quite old though.... they won't be around for much longer but then I suppose there might be an apprentice we don't know about although I doubt it.

He is getting quite old though.... they won't be around for much longer but then I suppose there might be an apprentice we don't know about although I doubt it.

Can always ask him when I see him :)