Knives & Knife sharpening

FWIW I tell a lie, Scanpan use a similar but slightly different steel, X45CrMoV15. But is essentially identical in terms of its relative characteristics. I assume your knives are the 'Classic' line? There's a few cheaper ones they make too which might use lesser stuff.

This knife site is absolutely fantastic and has so much info on it which is invaluable in selecting new knives or just technical know how. Handy one to waste a few hours on. ;-)

My wife has a husband who can cook - you think she ever going to get in the kitchen?

Her friends are jealous, yet she doesn't see how perfect I make her life. Why is that?

The Scanpan isn't pitting - that was the globals. The Scans edge is chipping and the hardest work it gets is onions. I did cut a few metres of lino with it too, but any good knife should cope with that.

My wife has a husband who can cook - you think she ever going to get in the kitchen?

Her friends are jealous, yet she doesn't see how perfect I make her life. Why is that?

The Scanpan isn't pitting - that was the globals. The Scans edge is chipping and the hardest work it gets is onions. I did cut a few metres of lino with it too, but any good knife should cope with that.

Haha ok I'm not going to touch the first 2 questions but fellas feel free to jump in and help a brother out. :) FWIW my missus is the same, but hey I'm a control freak so its just fine with me. Quite seriously we've been together around 15yrs and I think she's cooked for me around 10 times. Kid you not. But I'm a prick to live with so I think I'm still up in the deal. ;-)

Chipping? Hmmm well thats only a few possible things.....and really we have to rule out manufacturer fault as thats unlikely. My gut call would be that they've been resharpened at too acute an angle. A lot of steels just can't take sub-20 degree usage and will end up chipping. Thats why the EdgeFaux is great as you can put on a specific angle.

As if that isn't enough I actually have an AnglePro (brand name for a digital inclinometer) which I use to make sure it's bang on each time....I do my Wusthofs at 18 and the Artifex at 15. My cleaver and a few cheapies get 20.

Otherwise it could only possibly be cutting stuff that shouldn't be cut (frozen food, bones) or cutting ON stuff that shouldn't be cut....but I suspect that the angle on the secondary bevel is too acute. Could be Scanpan are sending them with too acute an angle on them....in which case I'd redo at say 20 degrees.

As you probably know once the blade is chipped its VERY hard to fix it up as you've got to grind the whole blade back to get rid of it or use it with the chip which makes smooth slicing a bastard.

I wouldn't rule out them coming from the factory with an inappropriate angle on them as really you've already bought the blade and there's no way you can prove it was their fault and a more acute angle will make the blade sharper....but at a price. Hence the chips and also you'll lose your 'sharpeness' faster. Also resharpening costs you more of the blade.

Get the proper sharpener and rescue them while you can. $32 posted and you sound like a guy that would really appreciate what it can do :)

Photos as promised

Not too sure of the quality but should give you a feel for the set.P1010426.jpgP1010427.jpgP1010428.jpgP1010429.jpgP1010430.jpg

gain the only thing I can say about them is their old. But I woulkd early love to be able to use them at times other than the once a year at Christmas when I drag them out more to make me feel good than any fund=ctional purpose.

Pulled the trigger on the ebay sharpener Nick linked.

Most likely course of action...work out how to get a good servicable edge.

Get gung ho and ruin it with my coticule :laugh:

Me too (pulled the trigger on a EdgeFaux Nick linked to that is)

Should be on a commission mate!

Not too sure of the quality but should give you a feel for the set

gain the only thing I can say about them is their old. But I woulkd early love to be able to use them at times other than the once a year at Christmas when I drag them out more to make me feel good than any fund=ctional purpose.
Oh for something that old the aesthetics are always going to find it hard to match up with our present day one. :)

Alas from those pix I really couldn't see a closeup of the blade of the knife itself....haha got a good feel for the handles though. :) But from the little I could see it did appear like the blade needs thinning. This is characterised by the knife having a sharp edge when you test it with your fingers etc but it not cutting food well. Like I said is relatively simple to do, hence I'd say you could do yourself with that sharpening system.

I've used it to thin only one knife, that being an old Global utility knife of a friends. It came out very well. :)

Me too (pulled the trigger on a EdgeFaux Nick linked to that is)Should be on a commission mate!
Oh, I must have been responsible for 50+ of them selling over in the WP thread as they didn't know about it either till I flagged it an now it's a 36 page thread. Thats not to mention dozens of orders the guys have placed with Congress Tools for new stones etc etc.

For others umming and ahhing about buying this is the authentic Edge Pro Apex sharpening system, which the Chinese replicas are all almost identical clones of! Reports from guys who have both say the authentic ones has slightly beeter build materials but otherwise they're all but identical in functionality.

The video demos are excellent for getting a feel for how easy the system is to use.

AND in an exclusive for you guys here's a link to the user manual for the Edge Pro, which is an invaluable source of handy info on sharpening and how to get the best from the system.

No excuses now. ;-)

Oh, I must have been responsible for 50+ of them selling over in the WP thread as they didn't know about it either till I flagged it an now it's a 36 page thread. Thats not to mention dozens of orders the guys have placed with Congress Tools for new stones etc etc.

For others umming and ahhing about buying this is the authentic Edge Pro Apex sharpening system, which the Chinese replicas are all almost identical clones of! Reports from guys who have both say the authentic ones has slightly beeter build materials but otherwise they're all but identical in functionality.

I did consider getting the authentic one and may still do so but wanted to dip my toe in the water first. My only concern was teh copy being harder to use but at $33 you can't really go wrong!

The video demos are excellent for getting a feel for how easy the system is to use.

They are great vids - especially the first one, it all made sense after watching it!

AND in an exclusive for you guys here's a link to the user manual for the Edge Pro, which is an invaluable source of handy info on sharpening and how to get the best from the system.

No excuses now. ;-)

Great, thanks! I was going to ask about that :D

And me, Hope it does the trick

Ah good one Glen! You'll get them back to as sharp as they've ever been, I've no doubt. Feel free to let me know if you need any assistance once the unit arrives.

Its quite obvious advice and applies to ALL new buyers of this system but test it out on your CRAPPY knives first.......it will take you several knives to get comfortable using it. Haha so maybe ask the mother in law if she needs hers done. ;-)

Is DEFINITELY a slow and steady wins the race kind of approach that works best....1hr of sharpening can be totally undone by one BAD stroke, so taking it very carefully and allowing the stones to do the material removal and NOT your force/speed is the best way by far.

Oh and I HIGHLY recommend you get used to the trick of using a marker/texta to ascertain where you're making contact with the blade etc. Is well explained in the manual and is absolutely invaluable and a can't miss method to getting a good technique going.

The great thing is everyone here is a wetshaver and so understands that technique is absolutely paramount, so don't get put off if it feels awkward at first or a tad tricky. I assure you within a few knives you'll get a much better handle on things.

Also be careful not to fall into the trap many people do when sharpening of switching up to the higher grits TOO QUICKLY. You really have to get it SHARP at the lowest grits, then when you're happy with this change up to a finer grit to refine the edge & improve the sharpness even more. :)

The great thing is everyone here is a wetshaver and so understands that technique is absolutely paramount, so don't get put off if it feels awkward at first or a tad tricky. I assure you within a few knives you'll get a much better handle on things.

Contrary to what Nick the Knife says, if you get a better handle you are doing it wrong.

................folks should try and use whats know as the 'pinch grip' whenever you can....this means you choke down a little on the knife.........

It hurts until you develop a callous on the top of your first finger. Always think knife manufacturers should provide some sort of extension on the top end of their handles to make it easier. But then again that would look a bit naff and probably make the handle weaker at that point. I've taken to rounding the top edge of my bigger knives near the handle with a whetstone or a bit of fine sand paper. Particularly with a cleaver for cutting harder stuff. I can see this thread going on and on...

Nick - thanks for all the advice mate. If it works out as well as you say we will all be happy campers!

Here is my "stable". From left to right.

Ikea cleaver.
Handmade carbon steel Nakiri I bought in Kyoto.
Handmade 63 layer Damascus Stainless Santoku we bought in "kitchen town", Tokyo (My Wifes)
Henckels cooks knife I have had since ~2002 (My first nice knife. It was $50 which I am stoked with!)
Henckels Santoku
Victorianox Santoku (my Wifes)
IMG_20120922_190426.jpg

I have an Edge Faux to keep them all sharp, and an Ikea three ceramic wheel sharpener I use the finest wheel of to realign the edge. I am getting better with the Edge Faux and can nearly shave with them every time. I have other kitchen knives, but these are the usual suspects that get the most use. I am 194cm and ~130kg so I like a large knife. My wife is a lot smaller so she struggles to use mine. The Victorianox Santoku is like using a feather to cut with, especially now it is super sharp. Her Japanese blade has a beautiful beaten pattern on it and is also quite light.

I also have a Leatherman and a couple of other pocket knives that I can shave with not that I have the Edge Faux. The only problem is I am getting scuffing on the blades from the slurry collecting on the blade rest of the Edge Faux. You can see it on the Henckels Cooks knife. Is there any way to stop this? I don't mind it, but I am understandably hesitant to mar her Japanese polished blade!

James

The only problem is I am getting scuffing on the blades from the slurry collecting on the blade rest of the Edge Faux. You can see it on the Henckels Cooks knife. Is there any way to stop this? I don't mind it, but I am understandably hesitant to mar her Japanese polished blade!

Nice selection, just need a nice paring knife in there for the finer work.

You take up both sides of the knife with masking tape before going to work on them.....obviously leave it back a few mm from the edge. Super simple.

I have messed around with tape on the Edge Faux and it makes bugger all difference. Tape the knife though, didn't think of that!

I haven't found a compelling reason for a paring knife. I have a crappy one I sharpened up and about the only thing we use it for is taking the tops off strawberries, and peeling kiwi fruit for my Wife. My next purchase is going to be a slicer type, and the thin blade will make it just as easy as a parer for that and more useful with the length.

James

Why oh why?

We have spent all this time and energy on the EdgeFaux when all we need is this.

I've seen the advert on TV and it is the best, at least they say it is....

Seems like it's too good to be true. Which inevitably means that it is. Like the picture of the lady lifting the bowling ball. Took me ages to work it out as a bowling ball isn't exactly a general household item outside the USA. For most people anything like that would be fine. Having spent a lot of time recently staying with family and friends I can say quite confidently that most don't seem to care and just keep buying a new cheap knife that's sharp for a while which ends up in a drawer with all the other ones. I once went through an entire six knife block set to find one sharp enough to open a packet of crisps. That's when blunt knives become dangerous as you're using the wrong knife for the job and having to apply too much pressure to get the job done. I would have been happy to see a sharpening device such as the Kleva Sharp or anything really as I was at times tempted to run them over a housebrick. I hate blunt knives! That's my rant for today.

By the way it's good to have one member here who spends time watching the shopping channels. Keep it coming Mark!

Seems like it's too good to be true. Which inevitably means that it is.

Yes, google reviews on it and read the problems!

For most people anything like that would be fine.

My problem is that I hate rubbish like these things BUT also don't get around to getting them sharpened often enough. I hope that the EdgeFaux provides a good alternative.

By the way it's good to have one member here who spends time watching the shopping channels. Keep it coming Mark!

Shopping channels? No regional TV in CBR! :mad:

........Shopping channels? No regional TV in CBR! :mad:

What? Yet another thing they haven't got in our nation's capital. In your case it's probably a good thing. You could be tempted to collect all kinds of other things like excersize equipment, commemorative coins celebrating Will and Kate's wedding, diet pills etc etc....

What? Yet another thing they haven't got in our nation's capital. In your case it's probably a good thing. You could be tempted to collect all kinds of other things like excersize equipment, commemorative coins celebrating Will and Kate's wedding, diet pills etc etc....

Sorry I wasn't clear. We do have the shopping channel here but getting regional TV the normal channels have a whole lot of rubbish adverts like this one or the Young machinery sales business owner with his son talking about tractors.

The other 'benefits' of regional TV? That would be Prime Possum and The Workers.

Enjoy!