Knives & Knife sharpening

King 1K stones are excellent. Tend to hollow out a bit quicker than others but those are considerations you'd only take in to account if you did it for a living. I've got one and use it more by far than any other ones. That is the only danger with stones. You can always talk yourself in to getting another one.

Last edited:
I picked up a King Home Stone K-45 from my local catering supplies place. With only a few minutes work on each knife they are not dramatically sharper, not quite shave ready but they will take the hair off my fore arm.

At king of knives you can find shun brand. Now on eBay there is the same thing chinese branded out of hk for cheaper. But for people in here I would get the norton 500/1000k combo to start. Because one day... You might want to get into straights too. Any then you can add the 4000/8000 and then a 12k ....... And then .......

But seriously a 500/1000 combo anything is a great starting place for knives. Bevel ten polish.

I just got three kitchen knives sharpened at my butchers, cost me $6 each. Back in two days razor sharp. I don't need to learn how to sharpen or spend a small fortune on paraphernalia. Which in turn removes the risk of getting addicted to yet another pursuit I can outsource.

I use Kiwi knives from my local Asian supermarket. Around $5 each and when I can no longer keep them sharp with a diamond steel they get replaced. I've used a lot of knives in various jobs over the years and these are my favourite in the kitchen.

I've got some really nice knives but I have to admit I find myself doing the same and using my cheapie Kiwi's more often than not.

The BIG advantage they have is they've such a thin profile on the blade itself - so it's one thing to have a very sharp edge (e.g imagine an axe thats razor sharp) but this alone won't slice most kitchen items well unless the profile of the blade suits the job.

I know from an economic stand point using and tossing them is completely justifiable - alas I live in regional Aust and so access to them is limited - but I, similar to you use a ceramic hone/steel for touch ups between sharpenings - but find that due to their very low HRC steel they're very easy to sharpen to get back to being as good as new.

I do look at my carbon steel japanese knives and wonder when they'll get a use but the Kiwis do a great job and can be used without worry etc.

I just got three kitchen knives sharpened at my butchers, cost me $6 each. Back in two days razor sharp. I don't need to learn how to sharpen or spend a small fortune on paraphernalia. Which in turn removes the risk of getting addicted to yet another pursuit I can outsource.

That's just wrong. Using those arguments you could start going to a barber for a shave every other day. You can also forget all you ever knew about shaving and save yourself an absolute fortune.

Ok, diamond plates, tiles, whetstones faux this with genuine that.
WTF ?
Can someone explain the differences please
Am looking at something for kitchen knives and straights for shaving.
Also, how do you sharpen a serrated knife ?

Diamond plates are stainless steel plates with embedded diamond grit. You can get various grit sizes. Fairly expensive. Good for a certain number of sharpening jobs but I think for sharpening knives by hand I prefere whetstones which neatly brings me to:

Whetstones are natural or man made stones used for sharpening. Unlike diamond stones which can be used dry, whetstones need to be thoroughly wet.

Tiles? Not sure in which sharpening context that fits in although I think that might be a part name for a sharpening system called the Edge Faux which is a cheaper version of the original Edge Pro system. It involves clamping the knife down and running different tiles (?) which have differing grit sized embedded sharpening stones set at a pre-fixed angle over the edges.

I prefer using whetstones for kitchen knives although I have used other sharpening devices. If you're thinking of sharpening/honing straights you need'll a whole array of stones.

A serrated knife is sharpened each serration at a time using wet and dry sand paper wrapped around something that is the exact shape (triangular or whatever serration shape it has) of the serration. After you've painstakingly done that you just run the flat side on a whetstone to take the burrs off. I'm assuming you're referring to a bread knife here. If your knife has serrations on both sides of the knife you can still use wet or dry sand paper but think I'd chuck it and buy a new one.

Last edited:
Diamond plates are stainless steel plates with embedded diamond grit. You can get various grit sizes. Fairly expensive. Good for a certain number of sharpening jobs but I think for sharpening knives by hand I prefere whetstones which neatly brings me to:

Whetstones are natural or man made stones used for sharpening. Unlike diamond stones which can be used dry, whetstones need to be thoroughly wet.

Tiles? Not sure in which sharpening context that fits in although I think that might be a part name for a sharpening system called the Edge Faux which is a cheaper version of the original Edge Pro system. It involves clamping the knife down and running different tiles (?) which have differing grit sized embedded sharpening stones set at a pre-fixed angle over the edges.

I prefer using whetstones for kitchen knives although I have used other sharpening devices. If you're thinking of sharpening/honing straights you need'll a whole array of stones.

A serrated knife is sharpened each serration at a time using wet and dry sand paper wrapped around something that is the exact shape (triangular or whatever serration shape it has) of the serration. After you've painstakingly done that you just run the flat side on a whetstone to take the burrs off. I'm assuming you're referring to a bread knife here. If your knife has serrations on both sides of the knife you can still use wet or dry sand paper but think I'd chuck it and buy a new one.
The tile comment is something I've read members comment here in conjunction with whetstones/diamond plates.

What are the advantaged/disadvantages of the three different sharpening styles ?
Can the Edge Faux be used with straight razors ?

Can the Edge Faux be used with straight razors ?

Not with the stones that come with it, they're way too low in grit. The 1000-1200 stone might be okay for the initial work, but it's a long way off being able to polish a straight enough for it to be useful. Whetstones around the 1k mark can produce a very sharp knife edge, but it's one that still retains a little bit of roughness and bite to it. Although this might not be enough for the culty-Japanese knife crowd, it's actually pretty useful in a practical sense because you get a little bit more 'blade grip' when you start to slice into something.

I can definitely recommend the Edge Faux for kitchen knives though. It's an easy and cheap way to keep your knives sharp, and it takes almost all the effort out of doing it too.

As far as tiles go, some people use a tile (or any other flat surface) with some low grit sandpaper to flatten their whetstones. I've done it a couple of times, and although I'm going to buy a small diamond plate for that task eventually, it's a cheap way to keep your stones flat.

........What are the advantaged/disadvantages of the three different sharpening styles ?......

There are probably more than two with a few different systems out there but it basically comes down to hand sharpening or using a system set up such as the Edge Faux/Pro. I prefer hand sharpening using whetstones. In reality you only really need one 1000-1500 grit stone to keep your knives as sharp as you want them.

...........Can the Edge Faux be used with straight razors ?

Never heard of that. Half the fun of owning straights is all the sharpening/honing paraphernalia such as whetstones and strops. You'd also be banned/laughed at/ridiculed by all your straight mates.

I have no idea about their quality but your link indicates out of stock.

Similar price (although without further discount) here at Everten which I use as my benchmark on pricing kitchen stuff. Their standard pricing is pretty good but their specials are when to buy.

I had to re-set the edge on my old Woolworths cheapie knife which is one of my favourites just before Christmas. The 120-stone that came with my Edge Faux was prefect for the job of taking the 'chunks' out of the edge. Made it super simple to cook at Christmas with my favourite knife and having it of a useful sharpness, although I only took it up to 600-grit as my 1200 stone is broken and requires a replacement.

Also did the Kiwi knives I had. Unfortunately the blades are so thin that they had a number of dings in them. The Chefs/Guyuto was dropped and broke the tip off of it, which means it is now in the bin. The other two one tip is a bit bent (I will sharpen that away in time) and the other was perfect.

Went on a wander near Town Hall station and found a number of Japanese Stainless knives with a thicker spine but still under $5 per pop. The steel looks much better quality, normal pinned Micarta handles. May yet have to give them a go, didn't buy any at the time but likely will in coming weeks.