Knives & Knife sharpening

They are both persuasive points

any suggestions for an electric sharper? Or attributes to look for in one?

Looking around when I did my research this one seems to provide a reasonable amount of guidance for the blade, ensuring a more consistent angle AND the three levels provides more control over the sharpening process. You might not use the first slot all the time if you are merely doing a bit of a tidy up.

On a few other sharpeners even with a guide there was a fair degree of potential variability on the angle based on how you held the blade. Lots of reviews and commentary on YT and there abouts.

@Mark1966 and @StratMan you will have to trade in your DE razors and buy an electric razor to go with the knife sharpener :)

Um, no - because I can throw my DE blade out when it needs to be replaced. Of course I don't use a straight because ...

Up to a point, those are wise words. A roughly sharpened knife is better than a blunt one. ...

That is my thinking too. My BiL has these uber expensive Japanese knives, for which he paid top $$ at The Essential Ingredient, which I've noticed getting progressively less sharp - as he cannot (does not?) sharpen them ...

the horror.

ah well. Honestly, better use it and replace your knives every few years, life is too short for blunt knives.

Yep, and I have bog standard Mundial block knives - nothing fancy there!

Whetstones will be better BUT ...

@Mark1966

yep agree with the video completely.

In regards to your BIL the less said the better. But then, some of the commercial Japanese knives are no different than German.

in regards to @StratMan, the video will be useful. Electric sharpeners may cut, but will it be any better than your own stones?

went through a few vids suggested here and got started, cleaning up the stones exposed the numbers 8000 not 6000 as I thought yday. So i have a 400 grit, 1000 grit and 8000 grit

50690305237_d96df60d1c_c.jpg

first I flattened both synthetic stones, used the 400 to flatten the 1000, and the 1000 to then flatten the 8000 and they turned out awesome

started with some guidelines on basic sharpening techniques and when/how to change grits. tell you what i was pretty dam happy with that first attempt, I should shave 'some' hairs off my arm but not all.. Still got a ways to go but I reckon the best results to date.. need to try stropping next time

although the sharpener would be a no fuss endeavor there is something special about being able to sharpen your own knives, and keep them sharp..

Just bought this to round out my collection of Japanese Chef's knives.
Not much dearer than a crappy piece of stamped out stainless that some companies call a knife ('that's not a knife...this is a knife' sort of thing).
Anyone else enjoy using a decent and 'really' sharp piece of hardware?
It's good looking too, and happy to have it in my kitchen.
https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...es-uzushio-series-ud-2-santoku-170mm-6-6-inch

jck-natures-santoku-jck-natures-uzushio-series-ud-2-santoku-170mm-6-6-inch-14549391507553_1024x1024.jpg
Nice one, @Blackie - 170 or 180mm Santoku's are very versatile. Happy slicing and dicing!

@StratMan 1k to 8k is a bit of a jump.

make sure you deburr properly. And spend a lot of time on that 8k. Keep your hand steady and you will build up that muscle memory in no time. Use the sharpie trick.

@StratMan 1k to 8k is a bit of a jump.

make sure you deburr properly. And spend a lot of time on that 8k. Keep your hand steady and you will build up that muscle memory in no time. Use the sharpie trick.

so should I get another stone? What grit?

by deburr do you meant with the strip or steel rod?

I Didn’t see the sharpie trick better google that..

so should I get another stone? What grit?

by deburr do you meant with the strip or steel rod?

I Didn’t see the sharpie trick better google that..
A 5k will fit nicely.

a burr is a thin piece of metal right At the edge. That is what stropping gets rid of.

let me see if I can get the right videos.

Also. I don’t typically use whetstone to flatten whetstone. Use the mirror and you will get a true flat stone.

Naniwa Chosera 3000 or Suehiro Rika 5000 would be a good start

Are your other stones soakers or splash'n'go ?

A 5k will fit nicely.

a burr is a thin piece of metal right At the edge. That is what stropping gets rid of.

let me see if I can get the right videos.

Yeah, easy huh ...