Ladas Super Stainless behaves like a Derby

SpeedyPC

NEEDS more soaps ...
Grand Society
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
G'day ;)

My brother and I can only get 3 shaves from the Ladas Super Stainless blade and we can't squeeze any more than 3 shaves and the blade feel like a Derby, so I'm asking for those who have used the Ladas Super Stainless blade and many shaves do you normally get from this blade and it doesn't feel sharper no where near GBS or Perma-Sharp Super.

Cheers (y)

@SpeedyPC - I cannot speak to Lada's as such but if 3 is the limit 3 is the limit. Me personally when ever I used a safety razor I would shave with the new blade to the point it was no longer giving a pleasant shave and take off one day from that. I presume the Lada's are about $20/100 so that is 20 cents per blade and about 10 cents a shave if you only allow 2 shaves per blade. I always want comfort above that extra shave from a sub standard edge.

I tried the Ladas and binned them after 2 shaves. First shave was nothing exciting and it didn't improve in the second. Tried in both the DE86 and the standard razor, couldn't get any improvement on it.

Usable in a pinch, but there are much nicer blades around.

I absolutely agree: comfort and smoothness are the most important factor, when it comes to blades for me.

I get 2 shaves (8 passes) out of Ladas and that's fair enough, given they cost 6-8 AU$ for 100 delivered...that's 1.5 cents a pass (y)

I get the same out of PolSilver - they are ~20AU$ for 100 - that's 2.5 cents a pass
I get the same out of GSB - they are ~35AU$ for 100 - that's 4.4 cents a pass

So why do you want to waste your money on blades @SpeedyPC - when you could waste it on great new brushes and razors :p

I absolutely agree: comfort and smoothness are the most important factor, when it comes to blades for me.

I get 2 shaves (8 passes) out of Ladas and that's fair enough, given they cost 6-8 AU$ for 100 delivered...that's 1.5 cents a pass (y)

I get the same out of PolSilver - they are ~20AU$ for 100 - that's 2.5 cents a pass
I get the same out of GSB - they are ~35AU$ for 100 - that's 4.4 cents a pass

So why do you want to waste your money on blades @SpeedyPC - when you could waste it on great new brushes and razors :p
What is this rubbish talk about "wasting" money on brushes and razors?

I try to justify my crazy expenditure by thinking of it as an investment :ROFLMAO:

What is this rubbish talk about "wasting" money on brushes and razors?

I try to justify my crazy expenditure by thinking of it as an investment :ROFLMAO:
Oops sorry @nsavage your are absolutely right!

Why waste money on blades, if you could save up and invest on great brushes and razors (y)

I've been keeping track record for each blade brand for the total number of shaves from close comb to open comb razor during my shaves, and I do a 3 pass shave WTG, XTG & ATG because YMMV for each blade.

DE Blades (#? of max. total shaves per blade) (*** means I'm starting my next shave with a fresh blade):-

Astra Superior Platinum = (Fatip #?***), (Merkur 25C #?), (Phoenix Double OC #?), (Phoenix Symmetry OC #?), (RazoRock Old Type OC #?)

Feather Hi-Stainless = (Fatip #2), (Merkur 25C #?), (Phoenix Double OC #?), (Phoenix Symmetry OC #?), (RazoRock Old Type OC #3)

Gillette Silver Blue = (Fatip #6), (Merkur 25C #?), (Phoenix Double OC #?), (Phoenix Symmetry OC #?), (R41 v2013 #4), (RazoRock Mission #4), (RazoRock Old Type OC #5)

Ladas Super Stainless = (Fatip #3), (Merkur 25C #3), (Phoenix Double OC #?), (Phoenix Symmetry OC #?), (RazoRock Old Type OC #3)

Personna Lab Blue = (Fatip #?), (Merkur 25C #?), (Phoenix Double OC #?), (Phoenix Symmetry OC #?), (R41 v2013 #3), (DE89 & R89 #4), (RazoRock Mission #4), (RazoRock Old Type OC #?)

Personna Platinum = (Fatip #2), (Merkur 25C #?), (Phoenix Double OC #?), (Phoenix Symmetry OC #?), (RazoRock Old Type OC #2)

Perma-Sharp Super = (Fatip #?), (Merkur 25C #?), (Phoenix Double OC #?), (Phoenix Symmetry OC #?), (R41 v2013 #4), (DE89 & R89 #5), (RazoRock Mission #5), (RazoRock Old Type OC #?)

Polsilver Super Iridium = (Fatip #5), (Merkur 25C #?), (Phoenix Double OC #?), (Phoenix Symmetry OC #?), (R41 v2013 #4), (DE89 & R89 #4), (RazoRock Mission #5), (RazoRock Old Type OC #4)

Vintage Polsilver Stainless = (Fatip #6), (Merkur 25C #?), (Phoenix Double OC #?), (Phoenix Symmetry OC #?), (R41 v2013 #4), (RazoRock Old Type OC #6)

Voskhod = (Fatip #4), (Merkur 25C #?), (R41 v2013 #3), (DE89 & R89 #4), (Phoenix Double OC #?), (Phoenix Symmetry OC #?), (RazoRock Mission #4), (RazoRock Old Type OC #3)

German Wilkinson Sword = (Fatip #3), (Merkur 25C #?), (Phoenix Double OC #?), (Phoenix Symmetry OC #?), (RazoRock Old Type OC #3)

Last edited:
I haven't tried Ladas, but I'm using Voskhod. I can get only 3 great shaves from Voskhod in closed comb and only 1 great shave on open comb razor.
However with Polsilver SI I've got 6 great shaves in closed comb and 2-3 great shave on open comb razor.

As you know I predominantly use a straight. My DE however is loaded with Ladas. In the Merkur Bakelite at least they are superb and I get three or four out of them. Depends as always on the razor, the face, the skin etc. As bald as says; what ever works for you is what works. Run with it.

i can get about 2......razor strokes!
Then I have to throw it out due to the tugging and pulling.

Same with derby so I guess I would agree they behave the same :D