Lather Shots

hiI9ZMu.jpg

During my shave today I got a really funky smell while lathering up NO Two Kings which I can only assume is badger funk. Following some online info I've decided I might let my brush sit for a few hours or even over night with some Proraso Green in it.

If you think that's a bad idea please let me know!!! I read that it helps get the funk out fully :)

During my shave today I got a really funky smell while lathering up NO Two Kings which I can only assume is badger funk. Following some online info I've decided I might let my brush sit for a few hours or even over night with some Proraso Green in it.

If you think that's a bad idea please let me know!!! I read that it helps get the funk out fully :)
Nice looking lather (y)

I've found Proraso has a habit of leaving a film on any surfaces. One approach that lots of guys like is a good vinegar rinse, then shampoo.

A couple of weeks and you won't notice it.
Good excuse to practice bowl and palm lathering technique with your strongest smelling or least favourite soap.
Shampoo and condition will speed up the process (lather/soak/lather/rinse/repeat) and condition, even soak for a few hours or overnight.
I found medicated shampoo works better than normal daily use shampoos but don't bother unless really funky (worse than wet dog)
A mild funk dissipates after a few weeks normal use and can be hurried along by any of the above.

A couple of weeks and you won't notice it.
Good excuse to practice bowl and palm lathering technique with your strongest smelling or least favourite soap.
Shampoo and condition will speed up the process (lather/soak/lather/rinse/repeat) and condition, even soak for a few hours or overnight.
I found medicated shampoo works better than normal daily use shampoos but don't bother unless really funky (worse than wet dog)
A mild funk dissipates after a few weeks normal use and can be hurried along by any of the above.

Yeah I didn't think it was bad at first, just smelt a bit like my cats haha, but occasionally I get a a scent that overpowers the scent of the soap which isn't the worst but not pleasant either.

I decided not to let this one sit over night, it sat for a couple hours. I do admit shampoo makes more sense than shave soaps haha! Maybe I'll practice my face lathering a few extra time over the next week or two, that ought to do it :)

Just a quick bowl lather to continue breaking in the Boar bristles on my TF Customs brush with the last squeeze out of a sample sachet of St. James before binning it.
Not a wonderful lather, but wasn't much soap left to work with anyway. Working the bristle tips towards softening was the aim of the exercise.
Once again, waste not want not.

VZgdPSx.jpg

G3iOgyK.jpg

Brush:- Vie-Long 22mm Brown Horse Hair
Soap:- Le Pere Lucien - Le Savon du Barbier
Surprised by how much lather this little horse hair brush generates considering it is not a lather hog

After 2 pass WTG shave
fp1gsa8.jpg

Don't bowl lather very often and only when working through small samples
TF Custom Phantom Nebula handle 28mm badger
Murphy & McNeil Mandate of Heaven
This one is my retirement scuttle for the cold Tassie winters down in Huonville although there are plenty of potters to buy from in Tassie ;)
hA4aQ2P.jpg

Just a quick bowl lather to continue breaking in the Boar bristles on my TF Customs brush with the last squeeze out of a sample sachet of St. James before binning it.
Not a wonderful lather, but wasn't much soap left to work with anyway. Working the bristle tips towards softening was the aim of the exercise.
Once again, waste not want not.

VZgdPSx.jpg

G3iOgyK.jpg
Where did the knot come from and what size and loft?

Where did the knot come from and what size and loft?

The knot is 28mm x 72mm, with 58mm loft above the handle.
I actually used it for yesterday's shave. Quite noticeable backbone, but not at all unpleasant in the softness feel on the face.
There really is a difference between the feel of a dry brush, compared to the feel of a fully lathered brush.
Quite surprising to me, I expected this brush to feel rough on the face, but it didn't.
It was quite nice not being fully broken in yet.
As for where the knot came from, not trying to be a smart arse, but I can only assume it came from this box of 26 & 28mm boar knots I have, (pictured below) given that the brush itself was made by TF Custom Shave Brushes.

wJvAWTs.jpg

Simpson 90th Anniversary Astor Super Badger 84/90
Murphy & McNeil Ouroboros
aeYMGas.jpg

Ouroboros is definitely on the wish list.
Scent Profile
Scent Strength: Strong
Top: Orange, Grapefruit
Heart: Rose, Jasmine
Base: Patchouli, Amber, Incense, Vanilla

I'm blaming lockdown
Shavemac - Americana thx to @Mark1966
Murphy & McNeil - Trinity
wxS8VNc.jpg

The lather started too wet off the brush (didn't squeeze enough out) and could not quite recover. A bit light and airy but still a damn good shave