Review LEA Classic Shaving Soap

Bump!

I recently purchased a refill puck of the new veggie formulation of this soap (by mistake - I forgot they were no longer making this in tallow) and @nav1 asked me to post my thoughts. From my first shave with it, they are:

- The puck smells amazing - I'm no scent expert and this is a complex scent with a lot of things going on. I really like it although I usually prefer less scented soaps. I'm not even going to try to describe it, although the box says "sandalwood and moss". It also says "With Sandalwood, Lanolin, Glycerin, Bisabolol, Allantoin and Menthol".
- However, the smell dissipates relatively quickly - by the end of the shave I wasn't smelling anything on the face, which is perfect for me.
- To me, the puck is the same size and shape as MWF - if anything it would be an even harder consistency and should last a looong time.
- Rather than stand there twirling my brush, I treated it as I would MWF (ie as a wide and short shave stick) - rubbed the puck over my wet stubble and then also loaded my soaked and squeezed Omega 48 a bit before going to to work. Then I know I will have enough product and get there quicker.
- It started out as a dry paste (like other veggie soaps) and then I added water slowly. To my surprise, it just got thicker and creamier, with only a few bubbles - result! The longer I worked and the more water I added to it, the more creamy and shiny it got.
- I didn't really notice the menthol in the first pass but it came out in increasing amounts in subsequent passes - oddly it seemed like less menth than Proraso Green at the start but more at the end. Refreshing on a cold morning...
- This reminds me a lot of the tallow stick as well as the La Toja stick - when you go to re-apply for the next pass it starts out a bit thing but add water and a bit of work and it builds a lovely slick creamy lather again without going back to the puck. My 48 kept it nicely on my face rather than in the brush.
- Slickness was good but I have only had one shave with this soap so I suspect it will get even better as I dial it in.
- I re-lathered as usual at the end of 3 passes (BBS) while I cleaned up and the post shave has been excellent so far - no surprise given the amount of good stuff in the ingredients list. Will have to do consecutive shaves with MWF to see who is the winner....
- Compared to the Tallow stick it's a difficult call to me - I love that stick for the fact it has less scent if anything but this might have the post shave edge even though the stick has lanolin as well. I clearly need to do more shaves with both before I can compare!

Overall, I was annoyed when I found out this wasn't tallow but it is by far the best veggie soap I have ever tried, rivalling my best tallow soaps. No regrets now...!

5.37 Euros before shipping and P&C discount at Gifts and Care. Ingredients: Sodium Palmate, Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Aqua, Sodium Stearate, Glycerin, Cocamide DEA, Palm Kernel Acid, Parfum, Menthol, Allantoin, Titanium -1 Dioxide, Bisabolol, Lanolin, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Limonene, Hydroxycitronellal, Benzy Salicylate, Coumarin.

@RazorPlay
Nice review!!
I would have to say I agree with each and every point you have made! The scent is awesome but doesn't linger (which I also prefer).

The menthol for me is nice and subtle as I'm allergic to too much.

The post shave for me is basically tied at #1 with MWF.

And yes, I also feel the soap is harder than MWF. A 100g puck lasts me about 125 shaves, so less than 1g per 3 pass shave!!

Great to hear they didn't screw up the performance with the veggie base. I have the tallow but will try the veggie in future just out of curiosity.

I've been recommended to try the shaving cream rather than th soap. Any experience around? I reckon they are rougly the same in terms of money costs

I've been recommended to try the shaving cream rather than th soap. Any experience around? I reckon they are rougly the same in terms of money costs
I have had good results with a sample tube of the cream that i received. I would suggest that it is worth giving a try.

The cream sampler i used was a good performer but a fairly run of the mill.
The soap is one of my favorites though... As the review may suggest :D

I'll definitely get some lea while on spain, but I may also bring some eufros and byluna stuff, so I cannot bring everything. I was thinking in a small tube of cream to taste (While living in Spain alwais shave with La Toja stick..)

If any is interested, there is a new formulation for Lea hard puck of shaving soap (non tallow). I have read really goodopinions in Spanish forums,being in some aspects better than lea cream, and the scent is a bit more sandalwood. It is available in Gift & care (other shops may still have the old one, that sometimes din't perform properly, I reckon)