Life after HD 34C

mr626

ARKO! TERMINATOR!
Good evening,

I will always have a soft spot for my vintage Gillettes, but I know that personally my trusty Murkur is what I reach for most often.
However, since returning from a multi-year sabbatical, I've noticed that the 'shave of the day' thread is full of these amazing, 'new' (as opposed to vintage) razors.

Let's say I like the styling, weight and performance of the 34C and don't want to spend a bomb, where do I go next?
In terms of aggressiveness, I'm happy with and enjoy using the old Red Tip Super Speed, if that helps.

Without knowing much about anything, I would guess that a Lupo 95 with bulldog handle would suit. But please, educate me.

As they say, if it ain’t broke…

And as you can see in this forum, bad influences abound (in a good way)…

I have the Lupo 72 and 95. Both are smooth and efficient with the 95 a step up in the matter. The Lupo 95 is a real bang for buck razor.

Or I could steer you towards a particular ubiquitous razor here known as the Rocca which is similar to the Lupo in aggression but imo far more beautiful. And good value if you take advantage of beardandblade’s 15% off Black Friday sale.

Bang for buck Lupo or Rocca but which one works best for you YMMV

I'll second the Rocca, or if it's variety you're looking for, you could do worse than try out the slightly cheaper Razorock Hawk V3 with a small selection of Artist Club SE blades.

Nothing wrong with the 34C as when paired with a sharp blade it gets the job done.
Enjoyed the GC .84P but it just didn't do it for my growth and many a razor later I can happily recommend the Rocca as significant upgrade that won't cost you an arm or a leg and comfortable to use for daily shaves that are efficient and long lasting.

I still LOVE my very trusty 34C & 34G in my den for life, you'll love the Lupo 72 & Lupo 95, however, you gotta LOVE the Rocca R94.

Remember YMMV (y):)

Rocca R94 :love:
9d1eea6a6dd77e61f02c883839c1acde.jpg

Thanks for the feedback all. Life has thrown some unexpected financial curveballs since I posted this, but once things are under control I will revisit this subject with interest :)

Thanks for the feedback all. Life has thrown some unexpected financial curveballs since I posted this, but once things are under control I will revisit this subject with interest :)
Sorry to hear that, hope things resolve themselves soon...

Thanks, nothing too major. Just a couple of things that put the brakes on discretionary spending for a little while.
Maybe my waiting will pay off, and there will be a pre-loved Rocca that someone wants to sell me :LOL:
I’m sure @StratMan will be very happy to sell his Rocca R95 Birch Bark and he’ll keep the R96 :ROFLMAO: I think @StratMan has sold his R94 many many moons ago here on this forum.

R96 is the black handle ;)
images

R94 just for you @mr626 with love from @StratMan :ROFLMAO:
images

I’m sure @StratMan will be very happy to sell his Rocca R95 Birch Bark and he’ll keep the R96 :ROFLMAO: I think @StratMan has sold his R94 many many moons ago here on this forum.

R96 is the black handle ;)
images

R94 just for you @mr626 with love from @StratMan :ROFLMAO:
images

As much as I appreciate timber, I'm afraid for razors I'm more of a metal fan. I'm sure someone would appreciate something like that though.

I picked up a Rockwell 6S in the auction this year, haven't shaved with anything else since.

As much as I love my Fatboys and Slims, it's hard to find good ones now that aren't knocked out of alignment. My daily driver Slim got damaged in travel and is probably going to need a decent amount spent to make it shave ready. Comparing the brass in that to a solid 316 Stainless modern DE, there's no comparison.

As much as I appreciate timber, I'm afraid for razors I'm more of a metal fan. I'm sure someone would appreciate something like that though.
That's what I thought, but the birch bark is something else (even though I bought mine on the BST and subsequently moved it on likewise). The texture is more like cork, warm and grippy.

Hey @mr626 i can absolutely recommend the Rocca's and the lupo 72 with a nice combo.. there both amazing razors and hold them up to the Wolfman WR2 no problem

@SpeedyPC I still have all three, do I need them all? Absolutely not but the love for Rocca is strong i do enjoy them all.. it's nice to use different handles, each handle gives each razor a differ feel with the same results plus, plus I'm a bit of a collector 😀

@Monsta_AU if u like the 6S will be blown away by a rocca and/or lupo

I’ve got a better idea @mr626, ask @StratMan if he could lend you the Rocca R94 and the Lupo 72 & 95, for a test spin shave before you buy, that way you’ll get a better idea to feel, weight and shave.

An interesting thought, but I think for now I need to work though my vintage collection again to remind myself of what I like. Now where did I hide that red tip??