Loading A Brush....

fruityasu

smashes all the likes
2018 Charity Auction Winner
Good afternoon fellow Wet Shavers....
Question, does loading a brush directly from a soap tub, then rinsing soap tub, and leaving soap tub open to dry out for 12 to 24 hours harm or accelerate break down of scent and soap....
Curious....

Good afternoon fellow Wet Shavers....
Question, does loading a brush directly from a soap tub, then rinsing soap tub, and leaving soap tub open to dry out for 12 to 24 hours harm or accelerate break down of scent and soap....
Curious....
Consensus that I've read across different soap makers says no. I've not experienced any adverse affects by doing this in my time either.

I load direct from the puck/tub and build the lather up on the puck. I usually leave open for 24 hours to dry and then put the lid back. Never had a problem so far. The scent seems to fade with older (vintage) pucks and soaps that are maybe 6 + years old. Even though the scent may fade, they still seem to lather up ok.:)

I generally load up straight from the soap tub and either build a lather on my face or in a bowl then rinse the soap tub and allow to dry for 24 hours before closing and putting away....
There seems to be mixed thoughts on YouTube and other forums specifically spoiling the soap/scent....
I guess reading and watching too many vids can confuse and I thought I'd ask the question from fellow P&C members....
Thanks for your thoughts guys....

then rinsing soap tub
I do basically what you said. However I'm not sure how far you're going with the rinsing. I know some people rinse excess lather etc. from the soap in the tub and then leave it out to dry, but that's just a waste of soap.
If I am messy then I'll rinse the outside of the container and clean up the threads, then leave it out to dry. Any excess lather will dry out and become soap again for next time.

I do basically what you said. However I'm not sure how far you're going with the rinsing. I know some people rinse excess lather etc. from the soap in the tub and then leave it out to dry, but that's just a waste of soap.
If I am messy then I'll rinse the outside of the container and clean up the threads, then leave it out to dry. Any excess lather will dry out and become soap again for next time.
I try and get most of the lather out with finger and smear it on my face but any leftover lather I rinse away....

I load direct from the puck/tub and build the lather up on the puck. I usually leave open for 24 hours to dry and then put the lid back. Never had a problem so far. The scent seems to fade with older (vintage) pucks and soaps that are maybe 6 + years old. Even though the scent may fade, they still seem to lather up ok.:)
I'm with Sleepy on this one.

I'm the same as sleepy head, no issue so far.

What's the reason for drying it out?
I know some people don't and really it's whatever works for you. Though I have heard some people getting squishier soaps over time due to the added water.

For me, it's to help remove the water that you introduce when loading. I think of it like bath soap, when you're done you don't put it away in a container wet or leave it in a bowl with water. You'd put it on a soap dish or something similar, which is raised to let the water drain off. Leaving it out overnight is similar to that, letting it return back to it's normal state.

I agree and will keep with what I have been doing....
It's been working with no issues....
Thank you Gents....

Like most people here, I let the soap dry for 12/24 hours before I put it away.

I did inherit one soap where the previous owner obviously didn't do that... The soap had taken-on an almost memory-foam consistency.
I dried it for 2/3 days and it got less spongy. I actually haven't tried it yet. But I'm sure it's fine.
For me, it's mostly psychological. I just don't like residual moisture in my bathroom or anything related.

These days I'm taking a bit of soap from the puck and bowl lathering so this is irrelevant but when I do lather on the puck I rinse the puck in the tub then remove excess moisture with a tissue then put lid on and put away. I don't really like leaving puck open, just my preference, though as I've got quite a few soaps now, I want to limit their exposure to the air to encourage longevity. The only soap I've got an ageing issue with so far is my second batch that is stored in a pottery tub with a pottery lid with no seal. It seems to be suffering from some oxidation.

I load in the brush in the tub then build lather in a bowl
then just tip any excess water from the tub then put the lid on & back in the cupboard until next use
the MWF I started this year & have been using almost exclusively at home hasn't left the bench top, as it is in its ceramic tub and is not airtight anyway so is dry by the next shave, the lid is just keeping dust etc out
I do the same with the TOBS & Paraso tubs also but these are soft soaps & can dry out & if the older ones are dry I just add a wet brush & swirl then close them up again to rejuvenate

I also just put the lid right back onto the tub, no drying or cleaning.. after all it is soap and i guess its clean.. never had an issue and do the same thing for every soap i have