Location field under members avatar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a fine idea - not sure if anyone would have any privacy concerns, but you could make it optional.

If you click on the user name on the left you will get a pop-up with the details for that user. It tells me you are 59 from Redbank QLD @Havachat45 :)

Adding fields under the avatar is a @Monsta_AU thing - above my capabilities I'm afraid and I'm not even sure it is feasible.

In relation to privacy concerns @GregP I think the details are up to the member to provide on their profile page or not - and in any case we are below the threshold of 'turnover' for the Privacy Act to apply :)

Yeah, we won't be making any changes to things at this stage. We do ask for a location as part of signup.

While user profile pages are blocked from the GoogleBots and other search engines, the site is public so normal people can find it on your profile page. I don't suggest putting your home address there, but a general region or major nearby suburb gives people an idea of where you are and that is very helpful for trading, and also to our state convenors.

Fair enough - now that I look back some have a location and others don't - it'd make life easier if everyone had, at least, a city and state.
Thanks for considering it guys.

No problem at all. Like most of these inquiries and requests, some consideration has usually gone in prior to anyone asking. Sometimes these things are a fine line to walk and I am acutely aware of the tradeoff of being 'useful' while respecting privacy. I think we have a reasonable balance in not allowing search engine indexing of profiles or having the locations on the postbit (that's the thing on the left of the post with the avatar, name etc), but having the information on the profile page.

I think I made the location required for signup well after we opened the site which was quite a while ago now - possibly even after the move to XenForo. Some earlier members will not have locations, but if they edit their profile now they will need to put something in.

Status
Not open for further replies.