Looking for a local honemeister

Deadshort

Gday lads (and hairy lasses too I guess). Another Adelaide newbie...

Wondering if anyone knows of a honemeister here in adelaide for straight razors? I send mine to Sydney to be done by Ozzz Parker.

But the hassle of postage and the waiting has driven me to using my dovo with its disposable blades.

I sure would like to learn to hone - probably starting with an old relic. I think I'll check out any discussions about honing.

Mate I learned. If I can then anyone can.

Learned virtually. Lots of great resources online and folks to help you out with specific questions

Thx for the encouragement Stillshunter. Did you start with a relic?
If by 'relic' you mean an old beater off eBay or the suchlike - a big, resounding "NO!". I started by touching up some cheaper razors, but one's that had already had their bevels set. You could start from scratch, but I think getting the idea of what a set bevel looks and feels like first is better than stumbling on one. Hardest part of the process and one you need to get right, everything that comes after is 'easy'.

On this note you'll need to decide whether you want a set-up for touch-ups or from scratch.

Welcome @Deadshort
Have fun at the meet up - the Adelaidian blokes always sound like they are having a blast! Plenty on knowledge on straights and honing.

Welcome to the Aussie Wet Shaving Club brother ;)

Please don't forget to tryout the Shaver Heaven Shaving Soaps because these are 100% Aussie made soaps made by @Anthony see web link and help support our Aussie locals (y) Fantastic price much cheaper than oversea made shaving soaps and this will save you lots of money in the long term future.

Shaver Heaven: http://shaverheaven.com.au/

Cheers(y);)

Welcome @Deadshort. I encourage anyone to learn how to hone blades if they don't mind investing in a good set of stones. I never discourage a bit of reading and research in prior, there are a few helpful resources, my fav is Coticule .be. I've put up some of my own material (originally sourced from my blog) which you can have a read of as well in the straight razors thread, eventually when you're all hyped and ready to go you will work out a budget and a few guys here including myself will be more than happy to steer you in the right direction, have fun!

Hi people,
I am relatively new to the world of wetshaving. And am slightly hooked.
I recently purchased a custom T.I. 6/8
And it was super sharp to begin with. After about two weeks it has grown to be quite dull. I am stropping 70 times post and pre shave. I have tried a bit of chromox too.
Last night I put it on the 12000 naniwa for just a few strokes to see if i could refresh the blade. Still didnt pass the HHT.
Just wondering if you all still get together with your stones and pass on the tricks of the trade?
I currently have a 5k/8k/12k naniwa super stone set.
Cheers
Jimi

Where are you located @Jimi ? If in Adelaide @bald as can definitely help (y)

Fantastic @Jimi - you can either wait until our next meetup...probably at the last Sunday of July or PM @bald as directly and organise a session earlier.