Looking to buy an MTB...

Mine too. I can see why people complain about the finish on cheaper Orbeas. The bike had barely done 50km since new but it has quite a few little chips and scratches.
When I put it together the front v brake just had no spring and the handle was clicking. A new cable sorted that though.

Not had chance to ride it yet - 16km ride to get it home tonight.

If it doesn't get chips and scratches then you aren't riding it hard enough!

Take a photo of it Egg.

Take a photo of it Egg.
I did, in the 'What do you have in the post right now' thread, but here it is again in all its glory.
I feel a little hard done by as it is in fact a Carpe H50, and not a H30 as it was originally advertised as. There were no markings on the frame that I could see at all to determine which model it was, it was only looking at the derailleur (Acera instead of Altus) that my suspicions were raised. Registering the bike on the Orbea website confirmed my suspicions. Still not a bad bike for the $, just not quite as good a deal as I thought.
j2BLhTg.jpg

That seat seems to point a little too far upwards towards @stillshunter's favourite area to shave and I forgot to bring padded shorts in with me today.
It's going to be a painful ride getting that bike home tonight.

That seat seems to point a little too far upwards towards @stillshunter's favourite area to shave and I forgot to bring padded shorts in with me today.
It's going to be a painful ride getting that bike home tonight.

Well you still had better move it mate as the sign clearly says - DO NOT PLACE ANYTHING ON OR IN FRONT of those mapping cabinets!

You know the ones - them behind all your junk .... ;)

Last edited:
I've already had to change the image as the original showed my real name and address I'm not going to take another just for you, when I am the person who does most of the mapping in the first place.

One of my maps made it onto the ABC website earlier in the week

I've already had to change the image as the original showed my real name and address I'm not going to take another just for you, when I am the person who does most of the mapping in the first place.

One of my maps made it onto the ABC website earlier in the week
Do you work at EcOz as a cartographer? Sounds similar to my old job...

Environmental Scientist, but a lot of my job is map making.

What did you do previously?

Environmental Scientist, but a lot of my job is map making.

What did you do previously?
Map making. But mostly digital maps. I was working for the Geological Survey of NSW as an Exploration Geologist.

Ouch I'm out of condition. Only averaged 20km/h on my 16 km ride home. And I'm paying in the nether regions for forgetting the padded shorts.

...I could see at all to determine which model it was, it was only looking at the derailleur (Acera instead of Altus) that my suspicions were raised. Registering the bike on the Orbea website confirmed my suspicions. Still not a bad bike for the $, just not quite as good a deal as I thought.

Everything other than the frame & forks will eventually wear out - the difference between Altus & Acera isn't that big but it does mean in due course when you do upgrade it to Deore (or above) it'll be even more noticeable...

Ouch I'm out of condition. Only averaged 20km/h on my 16 km ride home. And I'm paying in the nether regions for forgetting the padded shorts.
I did my first 3 months without padded shorts... The limit of riding was governed by the 'ball numbness factor' not fitness back then. Now it's the time available...

Last edited by a moderator:
I did my first 3 months without padded shorts... The limit of riding was governed by the 'ball numbness factor' not fitness back then. Now it's the time available...

I agree with this. All the padding does is delay the inevitable. But it does allow more time I guess.

Honestly, I would be looking at regular short bursts as often as possible to get used to it. I know I have not been doing that and still I struggle with it. Just takes time in the saddle.