Looking to start DE

Fake sandalwood to be honest...
[shugs] dunno.

Some moons ago wife was tinkering with parfume/soap making using all-natural hippy-approved stuff, so i remember all those essential oils smells a bit too well. Red proraso seems to be spot on, to be fair.

Glad to hear there aren't many other problems. :)

I've yet to try the Red but enjoy the Green & White but in all honesty Proraso is quiet pricey.

spot on, proraso is too expensive for what You get but it’s real easy to lather..

I would recommend the straight line if going for proraso, lime Azur cream, easy to make lather and quite slick

Welcome @Chappo

plenty of great soaps around.. if u go proraso go the cream Azur Lime, otherwise I love the following soaps

squadron, Stirling, Ariana & Evans, whispers from the woods, barrister and man, tabac

my favourite all round blades are polsilvers but hard to come by and from what I have heard wizamet are the same.. feathers are excellent but very sharp worth a sample pack for sure, German Wilkinson sword, persona platinums, rapira Blade’s are very smooth and worth a try

razor wise the 6s (or 6c for cheaper zamak version) as this will give u 6 different shave options ranging in efficiency. Once you work out the efficiency levels u like u can splurg on a Wolfman Razor, imho the greatest razor out there

For a brush just grab a yaqi tuxedo knot 26mm for starters, they are cheap and work perfectly.. yaqi also has an aussie outlet

good luck, enjoy the ride and emptying your pockets :)

Welcome @Chappo enjoy your time here as you can see there is plenty of great advice and knowledge with these great guys and everybody here is more than willing to pass it on, the one thing I can say is stick at it as this a beautiful art and your skin will love you for it😀

Proraso is a good starting point - but don't get the red (Sandalwood) - there is no real Sandalwood in there probably...
Just as a matter of interest Sandalwood Oil is actually a listed ingredient albeit the least prominent ingredient but it is still there. I suspect it must contain some as a company that large would not risk reputation by falsifying their ingredients list. I suspect it is simply a small amount however to enable a claim of being “Sandalwood” scented.

You sound very happy and really enjoying the R41 :happy:

Yeah mate, I’m on good terms with it now, riding the cap got me on the right track was contemplating dropping a feather in it tonight but would rather consolidate with another polsilver, you know keep things stable whilst still learning. Question though I get about 6-8 shaves on a polsilver (merker 23c) if I take care of the blade but I’m only getting 4-5 on the R41, is there a reason you know of why this would be?? Mind you just bought another 100 polsilver blades so I’m not concerned just curious. Thanks mate

Question though I get about 6-8 shaves on a polsilver (merkur 23c) if I take care of the blade but I’m only getting 4-5 on the R41, is there a reason you know of why this would be?
Any razor with a higher aggression rate like the R41 for example or open comb razors can shorten the edge of the blade life much quicker from 3 to 4 shaves maximum, depending on how thick is your stubble, the more you shave the thicker your stubble will change over time as YMMV.

@Mark1966 or @alfredus could you please transfer topic #30 to #33 to SOTD 2020 topic, thank you.

Last edited:
Well, the shaver and witch hazel arrived on Monday, and I just received the blades and brush. Soap is still coming, ETA is still another few days. Vshod gave me 7 free packs of blades and block of alum! What a champion.

I can't wait for the soap as I'm already up to 6 days' growth, so I'll use the shave cream that came with the Rockwell tonight and give this wet shaving thing a go.

Any razor with a higher aggression rate like the R41 for example or open comb razors can shorten the edge of the blade life much quicker from 3 to 4 shaves maximum...

I've adopted a policy of using any blade no more than twice. I shave face and dome completely on a daily basis, so that's a fair bit of acreage, and although I can "push" many blades further, I have enough in stock that I'll never need to. The blades are so damn cheap, there's no real reason to go beyond what's comfortable, especially since the steel is perfectly recyclable.

It costs a lot of money to keep sharp cartridges in stock, but not DE blades. I just make up for that with expensive soaps (sigh)... 😏