Madness?

Ok guys. I am thinking that I need to rest my skin. too many mistakes trying to get bbs shaves. And I am digging a hole I can't get out off. So February is back to basics month for me.
So, I have two options
Daily shaves with a straight ( one wtg) or
Daily shaves with a de(wtg *2 or wtg/xtg) progress dialled to 2.5
Soap is lpl or maybe something else will make up my mind last minute I suppose.
Brush is the stray whiskers
Aftershave is the apr or possibly b&m reserve.

So any suggestions/changes ?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Rami you're better off using MWF for a month without any aftershave because MWF has fantastic post shave and after shave feel on you're skin, and this will bring your skin and face feel back to basic.

Edit:- you can still used Witch Hazel Astringent as you're aftershave ;)

Last edited:
@Rami you're better off using MWF for a month without any aftershave because MWF has fantastic post shave and after shave feel on you're skin, and this will bring your skin and face feel back to basic.

Yea, but as I am on sabbatical I have limited choice and the prospect of trying to lather mwf and failing to get a good one going. Then get stuck with it for a month [emoji33]

Yea, but as I am on sabbatical I have limited choice and the prospect of trying to lather mwf and failing to get a good one going. Then get stuck with it for a month [emoji33]

@Rami tell us what you've got available while your on sabbatical soaps, brushes and aftershave etc etc etc will help you to narrow this back too basic for a month

Ok guys. I am thinking that I need to rest my skin. too many mistakes trying to get bbs shaves. And I am digging a hole I can't get out off. So February is back to basics month for me.
So, I have two options
Daily shaves with a straight ( one wtg) or
Daily shaves with a de(wtg *2 or wtg/xtg) progress dialled to 2.5
Soap is lpl or maybe something else will make up my mind last minute I suppose.
Brush is the stray whiskers
Aftershave is the apr or possibly b&m reserve.

So any suggestions/changes ?

I'd go the Progress. It's adjustable so you can dial it up as you if needs be.

@SpeedyPC
Here is what I have fine platinum, saponifico 70 anniversary and Stella alpina, b&m Seville and latha, lpl cedre and barbershop, paa lime ginger tea tree and dr Harris

I'd go the Progress. It's adjustable so you can dial it up as you if needs be.

A straight is also adjustable but I am afraid I have not picked up the skill. Need to spend more time researching and working out what I can do better. Or maybe a single WTG pass would still be gentle enough to have the intended effect.

I would suggest the Progress is the best option. as @Sxot said you can adjust the aggressiveness as much as you want. Using it for the month will really help you dial in the setting that works best for you and also your technique with the razor itself. Also if you are in a rush you can still knock out a reasonably quick shave with a DE whereas I would imagine that it is a lot harder to do that with a straight. Not being a straight user myself I may be somewhat biased though.

I would go with whichever of your soaps you are most comfortable with and find that you get the most consistent results with. You could even change soaps every week if you wanted to.

I would go with whichever of your soaps you are most comfortable with and find that you get the most consistent results with. You could even change soaps every week if you wanted to.

Yea but that would defeat the feb madness part :)

A straight is also adjustable but I am afraid I have not picked up the skill. Need to spend more time researching and working out what I can do better. Or maybe a single WTG pass would still be gentle enough to have the intended effect.

Absolutely. If you can get the minimum required shave quality from a single WTG, go that way. It is an excellent training opportunity because you have removed as many variables as possible. Others still exist such as how well you built the lather, the edge, stripping and how dry your skin is.

You can try two WTG passes waging is @bald as preferred technique.

I would suggest the Progress is the best option. as @Sxot said you can adjust the aggressiveness as much as you want. Using it for the month will really help you dial in the setting that works best for you and also your technique with the razor itself. Also if you are in a rush you can still knock out a reasonably quick shave with a DE whereas I would imagine that it is a lot harder to do that with a straight. Not being a straight user myself I may be somewhat biased though.

No you can't! No changing any equipment choice for February Flagellation!

I am looking forward to this,or maybe I just need therapy.
My lineup:
Kiss My Face Olive Oil soap,
Shaver Heaven Arctic Mango,
Simpson "Chubby" synthetic Badger,
Fine Superlight slant( I refuse to spell this superlite)
Ladas Super Stainless
Witch Hazel
Razo Rock 888 aftershave wax.
Let the self abuse begin.

I am out. I will be getting a few razors honed up with mark and it would be a shame not to shave with them.

They'll be ready and sharp next month!

Well, I can't test my honing if I don't shave with the blades. And I would rather work around Marks availability than try to move things around.