Maggard Brush Now a TF Custom

Tony Forsyth

Man of the Lathe
Artisan Producer
P&C LE Supplier
@Draco Noir asked us if we could do something with his old Maggard shaving brush so we did.
We had to remove the Maggard knot which turned out to be a difficult one due to the knot plug having the knot hair set at quite a significant angle to the plug itself. The plug also had a crack through it which we had to also repair. Once the plug was leveled to allow the brush to stand vertical we then had to trim the sides of the plug to square everything up.
All in all the repairs all worked well and we ended up with a very good end result considering. The new handle was to be made using our "ICE FUSION" blank and was to be based on a similar shape to the Simpson X2. The knot was re set with a slightly lower loft and the handle re-scaled to suit the knot.
Anyway enough of me rambling on and here are some photos including a before shot to start. Big thanks to @Draco Noir for his business.
Cheer
Tony
vBJO6r9.jpg

YBkd5xe.jpg

RYKg2El.jpg

33Jwa2B.jpg

GfAr19p.jpg

Nm0gadh.jpg

1fjEON5.jpg

@Draco Noir asked us if we could do something with his old Maggard shaving brush so we did.
We had to remove the Maggard knot which turned out to be a difficult one due to the knot plug having the knot hair set at quite a significant angle to the plug itself. The plug also had a crack through it which we had to also repair. Once the plug was leveled to allow the brush to stand vertical we then had to trim the sides of the plug to square everything up.
All in all the repairs all worked well and we ended up with a very good end result considering. The new handle was to be made using our "ICE FUSION" blank and was to be based on a similar shape to the Simpson X2. The knot was re set with a slightly lower loft and the handle re-scaled to suit the knot.
Anyway enough of me rambling on and here are some photos including a before shot to start. Big thanks to @Draco Noir for his business.
Cheer
Tony
vBJO6r9.jpg

YBkd5xe.jpg

RYKg2El.jpg

33Jwa2B.jpg

GfAr19p.jpg

Nm0gadh.jpg

1fjEON5.jpg

Looks awesome and great shape!

Thank you so much @Tony Forsyth - it looks just fantastic mate. A quick correction for those interested : the brush wasn't old - it was actually a brand new brush from Maggards.

@Osman and I were hunting for that "Game Changer" knot that's been getting a bit of press lately, and this was the only way we could find of getting one. They were cheap as chips : $11.95 each, so I could even forgive the crooked mounting etc.

I was fortunate indeed that Tony was able to resolve the issues and create such a work of art. I think this is going to be my go-to travel brush - it's a pretty capable little latherer and looks a million bucks!

Thanks again @Tony Forsyth - I love it and I haven't even handled it yet :happy:

Thank you so much @Tony Forsyth - it looks just fantastic mate. A quick correction for those interested : the brush wasn't old - it was actually a brand new brush from Maggards.

@Osman and I were hunting for that "Game Changer" knot that's been getting a bit of press lately, and this was the only way we could find of getting one. They were cheap as chips : $11.95 each, so I could even forgive the crooked mounting etc.

I was fortunate indeed that Tony was able to resolve the issues and create such a work of art. I think this is going to be my go-to travel brush - it's a pretty capable little latherer and looks a million bucks!

Thanks again @Tony Forsyth - I love it and I haven't even handled it yet :happy:

Awesome mate and I hope it serves you well on your travels. It is in the mail so hopefully you will see it before the end of the week.
Cheers
Tony

There may be options for tuxedo/black wolf style knots locally in the near future...