Mail order honing

Ferret619

Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs
2018 Sabbatical
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
hey guys,
I'm sure this has been covered but could you recommend a local honemeister and contact info.
Thanks in advance.

Beautiful @Mark if you are up for it can u PM me with the info?

Definitely recommend @Mark - closely followed by learning the art of rock rubbing.
Yeah it's on the list to learn but between everything else I don't have time, plus my Dovo is not something i want to practice on

I keep my knives etc in good shape but a razor is a different beast

That will get you started on your blade, at least.

Mine are 1000 synthetic, 3000/8000 combo synthetic, and 13000 natural finishing.

I would probably like to add a 10000 at some stage, so there is more even graduation up the line.

Forgot until this morning I have a Chinese gold dollar, I offered it to someone as a PIF who declined it soo I got to learning to hone.
Will see how it shaves tomorrow

Fantastic, thanks for the recommendations guys

It amazing how much difference a good hone makes.

I have been refining my technique, and not being in such a rush on the stones.

The result - the Puma now has a magnificent edge. It was always good, but now it is at least a level better. This morning's shave was sweet.

I also re-honed the Wester and changed the edge profile on the Broken Hill Bengall. All now have serious sharp sides.

With the Bengall, I took about 150 laps on the 1000. The steel seems quite hard, and took a while to reconfigure. The others have never needed more than 40-50. The Puma in particular seems quite soft.

I'm still looking for someone who's willing to put an edge my Dovo. I need a yardstick to measure my efforts

Did you get a hold of @Substance? If you are stuck, I would be willing to do it for you. I would have offered sooner but figured you were after a pro hone.
I actually typed the message to him but my phone died then I forgot to re write it, where are you located @Sxot? pm me with some info and I'd be keen to set some arrangement up