Making Straight Razors WIP - stock to Str8

Discussion started by Substance, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Substance

Substance Member

did the primary ( 50 grit ) flattening & shaping ready for the rough bevels tonight hopefully,
    still need to drill pivots then check the tangs center etc before moving to the 120 & 240 grit for pre-heat teat finishing

note the small Kamisori is now out & a smaller object due to a disagreement with a small hammer to remove a bend
    and the object below it is wrought iron with a piece of 1095 steel forged to the end (twice) as the first time failed, so not sure if this will be a small kamisori, a small knife or even a chisel, I will have to see how the 1095 steel lines up with an edge not looking to good so far LOL
    [​IMG]

also took a pic of the sheep's foot utility knife, at a similar stage for @Ferret619 it is a 3" blade from 30*5mm 1095 steel hollow ground blade & the tang is hollowed ready for tapering post Heat treat.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    beerhog, Snooze, fruityasu and 3 others like this.
  2. Ferret619

Ferret619 Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs 2018 Sabbatical

OMG OMG OMG
    That looks amazing,I’m soo excited about this!

fruityasu likes this.
  3. Arnold J Rimmer

Arnold J Rimmer Member 2017 Sabbatical Fail Artisan Producer

That is a pretty sweet story so far. Can't wait for further updates.

4. Substance

Substance Member

gress
    50 grit hollows ground in, pivots drilled, tangs tapered and checked for centering

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thanks for looking

5. LukehGee

LukehGee Member

@Substance whats happening in the last photo? Is that the cantering check you mentioned? Can you explain what is happening there?

Substance likes this.
  6. Substance

Substance Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] Got the 6/8" blanks ground to 120 grit and heat treated
    All the O1 straight blanks got normalised at 850c to room temp then
    Triple quenched 815c +/- 5c for 5 minutes soaks then into Houghton-Quench K at 35-47c each time
    Also did a 1095 sheep's foot blade while I was there
    It got a 855c to. Room temp normalising then
    850c ( non magnetic) into 38c houghtons K also
    Now all are tempering at 225 for 2 hours

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    fruityasu, Pbgoose, alfredus and 2 others like this.
  7. Ferret619

They are all looking awesome!
    Love the shape of all of these blades.

Sheepie is best though

Substance likes this.
  8. Substance

Substance Member

Yeh mate,
    what I use is 2 pieces of 3mm G10 and some 1/16" Microfasteners and bolt the faux scales to the pivot, this helps to check the tangs are even and the blade will be centered and that the tangs are vertically tappered or at least parllel and not wider at the edge instead of the spine
    So when I make the final scales all is right, I also checks there is enough room for movement, I do a similar check when I make the wedge the keep them about 3-5mm wider each side of the tang at the pivot to allow for the tail to rotate through the scale with out hitting

fruityasu, Ferret619 and LukehGee like this.
  9. Ferret619

Man I gotta know, what are you thinking for scales on the razors and even more curious about the knife

Substance likes this.
  10. Substance

Substance Member

current plans for the 6/8" Str8's
    I made a laminated G10 blank of 0.5mm red-white-black on a 3mm black G10 backing (club jersey colours) for one 21st
    I am thinking the JWest style will suit the Faux Tortoise shell
    & I have a couple of experimental options going on for the last 2

the 8/8" when I get to them will most likely be naturals - horn, antler, bone or burl options

2 of the str8's had minor warping during heat treat that need correcting most likely due the triple quench I did on them to keep the O1's grain as fine as possible
    1 has been flexing to more than 3mm & back over a 60mm width, so have it over night under tension to re-align it

The sheep's foot is now a stanley knife due to a dis-agreement during some post heat treat alignment corrections in the vise
    pics to follow tonight since I had to walk away last night :mad:
    but seeing the 8" hollow was only about 1.5mm at the thinnest hollow point, I think it may be to thin for its size after final grinding anyway
    but the grain does look nice & fine, so I may make a dedicated option for a new sheep from 20*5 O1 about 3/4 the size of this one with a flat or 36" hollow grind instead

fruityasu and Ferret619 like this.
  11. Ferret619

Those scales sound amazing!
    Flat grinds make up the VAST majority of my collection, donno why but they just look great, then again sometimes you get a hollow with swedge and they are just so fascinating to see.
    Sorry to hear they are being a little disagreeable

12. Substance

Substance Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Stanley sheep lol

And the blanks cleaned up with a worn 120 grit
    [​IMG]

Also found a crack in 1 blank at the heal to tang transmission
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Ferret619 likes this.
  13. Ferret619

Oh Mr Sheepie, why you do this! Your cowardice is influencing the other blades.

Substance likes this.