Managing Email - expert advice welcome ...

Mark1966

Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Inspired by this thread - Calling an IT Guru

A question for those more expert than I ...

Office365 is our work solution. In addition I have:
  • a hobby email
  • a person email
  • a community organisation email
  • a church email

(of course there are LOTS of forwarders [aliases] set us to be able to trace the source of spam messages sent to theshopIpurchasedfromin2015@ type addresses)

For some time now all of these other emails have been set up in my Outlook client as POP3 accounts with the mail to my single Inbox and then saved in sub-folders.

Pros - a single Inbox and folder structure supported by rules to organise the incoming mail and all backed up nice and safe and sound.
Cons - I'm only receiving these when my laptop Outlook client is connected, I don't get them on my mobile device, when I have to rebuild my laptop profile I have to recreate the POP connections and rules.

Is there a better way? Pros and cons of any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
POP3 - Just don't.

IMAP is far better, but does not co-exist with Outlook running against Exchange/365 nicely. Use a separate app (same advice applies) for IMAP email and leave it on the server and let everything sync.

Forwarding - you are crazy. Mail Aliases is what you want, and easy to do in Gmail.

POP3 - Just don't.

IMAP is far better, but does not co-exist with Outlook running against Exchange/365 nicely.

Nobody likes POP3 :( Everybody says IMAP - but it doesn't play nicely with Exchange/365

Use a separate app (same advice applies) for IMAP email and leave it on the server and let everything sync.

But then I would need to manage each server and the mailbox size even if they are all collected in the one client at my end?

Forwarding - you are crazy. Mail Aliases is what you want, and easy to do in Gmail.
Sorry, forwarders is the term used in cPanel, clarified in the original post - we are talking the same thing I think

Nobody likes POP3 :( Everybody says IMAP - but it doesn't play nicely with Exchange/365
Seriously, POP3 is useless and support should be dropped for it globally.

Leave Outlook for 365/Exchange mailboxes, use an IMAP client for everything else (eM Client, or Thunderbird).

But then I would need to manage each server and the mailbox size even if they are all collected in the one client at my end?
I would suggest you get the mail off cPanel and move it to GMail or similar. While I have some email on the hosting here, I do not rely on it at all. Trying to manage mailbox sizes is for chumps. If you don't have the disk space or skills to manage a server or have the available storage and backup, get off it and drop everything into GMail or other similar hosted IMAP service.

Sorry, forwarders is the term used in cPanel, clarified in the original post - we are talking the same thing I think
Ah, yes possibly. I don't use it on cPanel - its just outbound email processing.

Again fully agree with @Monsta_AU - POP3 is so last millennium and just crap

Thunderbird is most likely your best friend and very easy to setup - you can have as many Emails as you want - they are all nicely visually separated or not depending on your personal preferences.

The thought of having two clients and separating my life - challenging ...

Thanks guys

Thunderbird does that for you - but in just one App - you see the different accounts, you can answer from different accounts - but you only have 1 app - perfect ;)

Thunderbird does that for you - but in just one App - you see the different accounts, you can answer from different accounts - but you only have 1 app - perfect ;)

Except for my work emails on Outlook :)

Except for my work emails on Outlook :)
I have my outlook work email 'working' in Thunderbird. Let me check one of these days how's the configuration (I think I buy a thunderbird extension, but I am not sure if this is needed at all) once back to the office and I'll drop you what I did :)

Exchange supports IMAP just fine, as long as your admins have it turned on.

Exchange supports IMAP just fine, as long as your admins have it turned on.
I am not an IT guy, but I remember issues, maybe because I am a linux user and IT at UNI does not support it (but the local IT guy is really helpful, even with stuff that is not on his working stuff, like supporting linux users). I am a completely ignorant on this stuff, I just wanted to mention that thunderbirds can work with these micrososft accounts, even if I don't know the details