Massdrop: Bulova 96A119 Automatic

I picked up a watch on massdrop recently. It was the cheapest i could find it but agree others were quite close and would arrive much quicker.

Miyota 82S7 is a pretty average movement. If we're sticking Japanese auto movements I'd probably opt for the Seiko 7S26 in something basic like the SKX-series, or even wait for a SARB - such as this one from Massdrop (only aged off quite recently). Otherwise, there are some decent watches that don't cost an arm and a leg with the basic but reliable ETA 2824 Swiss movement on-board.

TBH, it's probably only the watch nerds that consider the auto movements with these purchases. I'm sure they're all fairly good at timekeeping. When you get into the high end movements (not suggesting the 7s is one), like anything, you're paying massive overs for massive diminished returns, and intangibles. That said, my net forays into watches the last couple of weeks does show the nerds have a thing for the Seiko movements.

What I did find, which says something, is that there are only 2 companies left that do everything in house when making their watches, including making their own movements. Seiko. And Rolex. Seiko even grow their own quartz for their quartz driven watches FFS.

TBH, it's probably only the watch nerds that consider the auto movements with these purchases. I'm sure they're all fairly good at timekeeping. When you get into the high end movements (not suggesting the 7s is one), like anything, you're paying massive overs for massive diminished returns, and intangibles. That said, my net forays into watches the last couple of weeks does show the nerds have a thing for the Seiko movements.

What I did find, which says something, is that there are only 2 companies left that do everything in house when making their watches, including making their own movements. Seiko. And Rolex. Seiko even grow their own quartz for their quartz driven watches FFS.

So Seiko is like Shavemac and Rolex like Simpson :D :D :D

Nice looking watch @Korbz .

I am loving my Seiko Flieger SNK Auto which I purchased off massdrop. The Automatic has impressed me too. Last week I was on the road for 8 days. I would be awake at 5am, take my watch of at 6am. I would only put the watch back on at around 5pm, bed at 10pm. I wore it while I slept to help wind it although I don't suppose it got wound very much. Long story short is it had sufficient winding to keep it running on time for the full 8 days. Given they say it needs to be worn for 8 hours a day, and when I was wearing it, I was doing as little as possible (not active) I was pleasantly surprised.

Regarding massdrop pricing, you have to wait to see what the lowest price available is before you can judge how much cheaper it is. The other thing I suppose is they are a known quantity, have a good reputation where as some folks might be nervous buying things cheaply off unknown websites.

So Seiko is like Shavemac and Rolex like Simpson :D :D :D

I don't know if it's the watch nerd community's internal confirmation bias, but I'm left with the impression that Seiko is one of those brands that quietly does everything as well (or better), than the "big" names. Although, they're a lot less quiet about it when it comes to the Grand Seikos.

Of course, you have to factor in price points of reasonable comparison. But the amount of times you hear them suggest that a $500 Seiko is easily as good - technically, materials and finishing - as anything Swiss or US made, which can cost 4-5 times as much.

What Seiko doesn't have is the badge value (and premium). There are some people that have to have [Insert status symbol brand] on show. For those that don't care, but like to know they've bought heirloom longevity and quality, they buy Seiko.

I don't know if it's the watch nerd community's internal confirmation bias, but I'm left with the impression that Seiko is one of those brands that quietly does everything as well (or better), than the "big" names. Although, they're a lot less quiet about it when it comes to the Grand Seikos.

Of course, you have to factor in price points of reasonable comparison. But the amount of times you hear them suggest that a $500 Seiko is easily as good - technically, materials and finishing - as anything Swiss or US made, which can cost 4-5 times as much.

What Seiko doesn't have is the badge value (and premium). There are some people that have to have [Insert status symbol brand] on show. For those that don't care, but like to know they've bought heirloom longevity and quality, they buy Seiko.
A somewhat biased view but some would share your sentiment. I find many of the Swiss watches have a completely different aesthetic. For example, this is my main watch and there's nothing like it from Japan.

420a4ebc9c3feb94430beed01355cb23.jpg

Also some of us are big fans of vintage watches, wherever they might come from.

Last edited by a moderator:
A somewhat biased view but some would share your sentiment. I find many of the Swiss watches have a completely different aesthetic. For example, this is my main watch and there's nothing like it from Japan.

420a4ebc9c3feb94430beed01355cb23.jpg

Also some of us are big fans of vintage watches, wherever they might come from.

True, but aesthetics are are different proposition. Also, there are Euro brands that are massively expensive, that few will have heard of, so people are less likely to be buying these to impress the boardroom.

True, but aesthetics are are different proposition. Also, there are Euro brands that are massively expensive, that few will have heard of, so people are less likely to be buying these to impress the boardroom.
I hear you mate.

Back to movements for one moment. I've had a few watches now with the ubiquitous ETA 2824 movement and have been generally happy. That's what beats in my Oris Diver pictured previously. Beauty of the ETA movement is that servicing is relatively cheap and less complicated than in house movements most jewelers or watch makers can attend to them. Also spares are readilly sourced. All these things can be important as automatics are not "set and forget" unlike quartz thatthat just ticks away until the next battery change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top thread @Drubbing and @stillshunter. As I've been chatting about watches with @Mark1966 and @todras, thought I'd copy you in also.
I admit to being a bit of a watch nut. You guys mentioned Bulova - a US brand. Well; a bit of history that you may find interesting. They were the pioneers of the tuning fork movement, which they named the Accutron. This caused the Swiss to hurriedly start pumping out their own version of tuning fork movements. The tuning fork movement was a battery-powered electronic movement that pre-dated the quartz movement that currently dominates modern watches. The timing of this watch coincided with the Space Race, and this movement was seen to epitomize technological advancement. What makes me chuckle is that at the time, they were so proud to show that it was an electronic movement that they released several models called Spaceview Accutrons. The dial of the watch was basically transparent, allowing the user to see the electronic components. Amusingly, the exact reverse exists today with mechanical watches, which often have either a dial window or a transparent backplate to allow the user to marvel at the mechanical components.
I never did buy a Spaceview - found them a bit garish. I do own some more conservative Bulova Accutrons, and also a Bulova Accutron clock, which has a much more subtle face window.
I attach a historical ad that gives some background, and also photos of my two Accutron watches and Accutron clock, that latter being just plonked onto the kitchen table and snapped with my phone. I need to re-finish the brass case on this - another on the project list. Note that the symbol on all Accutron watches and clocks is a tuning fork. Gotta love that funky '60s styling. The tuning fork watches were phased out when quartz movements arrived, but they remain a fascinating piece of horology. And yes - you can hear the tuning fork hum, but very quietly; about the same volume of the tick of a mechanical watch.
Hope I didn't bore you with the history lesson - I could talk watches and clocks until the cows come home.

SatEvePost12-1963_zps1zcbxcl2.jpg

tom2181z_zpsresn6s4v.jpg

tom2183_zpsil89zarj.jpg

2016-09-19%2000.18.13_zpsxxzay2lh.jpg

Top thread @Drubbing and @stillshunter. As I've been chatting about watches with @Mark1966 and @todras, thought I'd copy you in also.
I admit to being a bit of a watch nut. You guys mentioned Bulova - a US brand. Well; a bit of history that you may find interesting. They were the pioneers of the tuning fork movement, which they named the Accutron. This caused the Swiss to hurriedly start pumping out their own version of tuning fork movements. The tuning fork movement was a battery-powered electronic movement that pre-dated the quartz movement that currently dominates modern watches. The timing of this watch coincided with the Space Race, and this movement was seen to epitomize technological advancement. What makes me chuckle is that at the time, they were so proud to show that it was an electronic movement that they released several models called Spaceview Accutrons. The dial of the watch was basically transparent, allowing the user to see the electronic components. Amusingly, the exact reverse exists today with mechanical watches, which often have either a dial window or a transparent backplate to allow the user to marvel at the mechanical components.
I never did buy a Spaceview - found them a bit garish. I do own some more conservative Bulova Accutrons, and also a Bulova Accutron clock, which has a much more subtle face window.
I attach a historical ad that gives some background, and also photos of my two Accutron watches and Accutron clock, that latter being just plonked onto the kitchen table and snapped with my phone. I need to re-finish the brass case on this - another on the project list. Note that the symbol on all Accutron watches and clocks is a tuning fork. Gotta love that funky '60s styling. The tuning fork watches were phased out when quartz movements arrived, but they remain a fascinating piece of horology. And yes - you can hear the tuning fork hum, but very quietly; about the same volume of the tick of a mechanical watch.
Hope I didn't bore you with the history lesson - I could talk watches and clocks until the cows come home.

SatEvePost12-1963_zps1zcbxcl2.jpg

tom2181z_zpsresn6s4v.jpg

tom2183_zpsil89zarj.jpg

2016-09-19%2000.18.13_zpsxxzay2lh.jpg

Great post (and with pics!)

Did you notice the tag line on the advert? 'Symbol of accuracy through electronics' Wonder how that went for them when quartz watches took over ...

Great post (and with pics!)

Did you notice the tag line on the advert? 'Symbol of accuracy through electronics' Wonder how that went for them when quartz watches took over ...
Actually, the accuracy of the two movements (Quartz and Tuning Fork) are fairly similar. The issue with the tuning fork movement is that it is more power-hungry, and the coils would burn out.
A not dissimilar issue exists today with "kinetic" watches, which have quartz movements but need no battery, as the kinetic movement of the wearer's wrist charges an in-board capacitor, much like the rotor of a mechanical movement tightened the mainspring.
But there is always a catch - the Achilles heel of the Kinetic movements are their capacitors, which tend to last about as long as a battery (or maybe double that).

Actually, the accuracy of the two movements (Quartz and Tuning Fork) are fairly similar. The issue with the tuning fork movement is that it is more power-hungry, and the coils would burn out.
A not dissimilar issue exists today with "kinetic" watches, which have quartz movements but need no battery, as the kinetic movement of the wearer's wrist charges an in-board capacitor, much like the rotor of a mechanical movement tightened the mainspring.
But there is always a catch - the Achilles heel of the Kinetic movements are their capacitors, which tend to last about as long as a battery (or maybe double that).

I sit corrected :)