Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Beautiful Autumnal weather in Canberra - just PERFECT for buying shaving gear!

D4wVH3El.jpg

Show us what you have gotten here :giggle:

So I picked up the King C Gillette $21 special at Coles, plus Nivea AS, Nivea hand /Face cream, Cussons Original AS. Shaveshop for Proraso white soap, feather blades, the usual simple stuff.

May the 1st, and before lunch I had turned up a little stand for the razor out of a handle offcut, and reknotted a tragic little (my 1st shave brush 16th birthday present in early 80's) brass handled boar brush.
Poor thing after all these years shedding and falling apart, the brass all tarnished and angry about being stuck in a shoe box in the linen cupboard for over 30 years.
With all the hundreds of knots I have, the only 20mm was a Plissoft, so in it went. probably never use it, but its sentimental value is why I gave it new life.
Funny little handle, it felt solid and hefty for it's size, but found it was hollow when I drilled the glue knot out.
No loft options, it is what it is, a small rebate/shelf in the bottom of the knot socket is all there is to glue against.
Little guy turned out really nice for what it is.
Now just have to polish up the brass stand and razor that form the whole set like new again.

RASzwGe.jpg

So I picked up the King C Gillette $21 special at Coles, plus Nivea AS, Nivea hand /Face cream, Cussons Original AS. Shaveshop for Proraso white soap, feather blades, the usual simple stuff.

May the 1st, and before lunch I had turned up a little stand for the razor out of a handle offcut, and reknotted a tragic little (my 1st shave brush 16th birthday present in early 80's) brass handled boar brush.
Poor thing after all these years shedding and falling apart, the brass all tarnished and angry about being stuck in a shoe box in the linen cupboard for over 30 years.
With all the hundreds of knots I have, the only 20mm was a Plissoft, so in it went. probably never use it, but its sentimental value is why I gave it new life.
Funny little handle, it felt solid and hefty for it's size, but found it was hollow when I drilled the glue knot out.
No loft options, it is what it is, a small rebate/shelf in the bottom of the knot socket is all there is to glue against.
Now just have to polish up the brass stand and razor that form the whole set like new again.

RASzwGe.jpg
Holy bloody mother LOFT!!!! :wideyed: what size knot is that plissoft, but, the loft height looks way over 65mm???? floppy as a shitty paint brush.

RASzwGe.jpg

Nice work mate, especially given what you had to work with!

Holy bloody mother LOFT!!!! :wideyed: what size knot is that plissoft, but, the loft height looks way over 65mm???? floppy as a shitty paint brush.

Being a plissoft knot, I would say it will still splay pretty well for a face lather.

It does look a little out of proportion, I'll give you that.
It is a 20mm knot. The visual deception comes from the brass handle being only 40mm long. The loft is 55mm.
There weren't any loft options with the hollow handle, just a small rebate the glue knot sits on.
Probably won't use it, you know, given I make spectacularly high end / obscenely expensive brushes now, and can have my pick of any of them (even though I don't use them:shifty:) but I couldn't keep it in the cupboard for another 30 years.

Couldn't you drill out the shelf, fill up the cavity with sugru and cut a new shelf?

To go any deeper would have run into the undercut curve, giving me a 2 piece handle. Not an ideal re-design opportunity. Plus I didn't really want to be cutting brass with wood working tools on an inside bore. Not that I couldn't have snuck another 1mm or 2, but just wasn't worth it.
I had thought about it and measured it up, but decided the depth was maxed out when made.

Got home today to find this "care package" from @rhodes96 in the mailbox at the bottom of my mountain.

p.png

I have to say, I'm awed and more than a little humbled by this man's generosity. Not content with packing nearly two dozen amazing samples, he has included some of my favourite blades and a full wooden tub of D.R. Harris hard soap. I haven't used triple-milled for over 20 years, so that's going to be an experience.

Far beyond picking a few items out of his shelves, this is serious retail, incidentally providing some insight into the depth of his appreciation and experience of scents that would most likely otherwise remain beyond mine, and will keep me going for many, many months.

So thank you @rhodes96, I really appreciate all the time, thought and expense you've put into gathering this collection of goodies, and I hope one day to be able in some way to return the favour if you'll allow me. In the meantime, I hope circumstances finally fall into your favour with both your recovery and your return home.

Got home today to find this "care package" from @rhodes96 in the mailbox at the bottom of my mountain.

p.png

I have to say, I'm awed and more than a little humbled by this man's generosity. Not content with packing nearly two dozen amazing samples, he has included some of my favourite blades and a full wooden tub of D.R. Harris hard soap. I haven't used triple-milled for over 20 years, so that's going to be an experience.

Far beyond picking a few items out of his shelves, this is serious retail, incidentally providing some insight into the depth of his appreciation and experience of scents that would most likely otherwise remain beyond mine, and will keep me going for many, many months.

So thank you @rhodes96, I really appreciate all the time, thought and expense you've put into gathering this collection of goodies, and I hope one day to be able in some way to return the favour if you'll allow me. In the meantime, I hope circumstances finally fall into your favour with both your recovery and your return home.
So happy to see that your Care Package arrived safely and look forward to reading your thoughts as you work your way through all the awesome goodies!!! Cheers again to @rhodes96 for his generosity and kindness as its greatly appreciated! :love:(y)(y)(y)

p.png

Phewwww arrived safe and sound.:)
Thought a Thylacine may have attacked the mailman, and took off with your package.:LOL:

Whilst I am committed to my MdC Fougere for the rest of this year (I have not faultered), I also wanted to jump on this bandwagon:

Tropical Colada and Frankinscents. I'm a fan of the scent of the Tropical colada (off the puck), but am less drawn to the Frankinscents. Wish I'd waited for the lavender to be put down.

Whilst I am committed to my MdC Fougere for the rest of this year (I have not faultered), I also wanted to jump on this bandwagon:

Tropical Colada and Frankinscents. I'm a fan of the scent of the Tropical colada (off the puck), but am less drawn to the Frankinscents. Wish I'd waited for the lavender to be put down.
I get to finally try the Lavender tomorrow, though I did thoroughly sniff it when I picked it up on Monday. However the scent comes through, it'll be a superb performing soap, I can absolutely guarantee that.

Mail Call!
In no particular order:

Something I am very thankful for and really keen to try out are several AC blades from @Gargravarr, Cheers mate!
  • Feather Pro
  • Feather Pro Super
  • Shick Proline
  • Kai Pink
Zingari Man Wanderer Splash & Balm from @bernie01 - Thanks again!
Homelike Colibri with plates 1.1mm, 1.3mm, 1.3mm OC & 1.5mm
Homelike DeJavu Cool Aftershave Splash
Homelike Alum Block
Razorock Hawk V3, Barrister & Mann Pertichor, Diamond, Oceana & Full Measure of Man ($50 Vshod raffle win went towards the Hawk and the B&M were freebies..... :oops:)

A bag of schwag from Vshod.com, thanks guys!
DZocBsK.jpg

Alum di Rocca; Rockwell 6C, 25 x 7 O'clock, Mikes Natural 'Barber Shop'; 2 x RazoRock shave sticks; Lupo SS 95 + 2 piece Halo handle; RR 'Big Bruce' plissoft and a Focus Tritok slant still to come! Wow. Can't wait to try the Lupo, it certainly looks great.

Last edited:
Mail Call!
In no particular order:

Something I am very thankful for and really keen to try out are several AC blades from @Gargravarr, Cheers mate!
  • Feather Pro
  • Feather Pro Super
  • Shick Proline
  • Kai Pink
Zingari Man Wanderer Splash & Balm from @bernie01 - Thanks again!
Homelike Colibri with plates 1.1mm, 1.3mm, 1.3mm OC & 1.5mm
Homelike DeJavu Cool Aftershave Splash
Homelike Alum Block
Razorock Hawk V3, Barrister & Mann Pertichor, Diamond, Oceana & Full Measure of Man ($50 Vshod raffle win went towards the Hawk and the B&M were freebies..... :oops:)

Interested in your thoughts on FMoM.

Today I visited @shavetheman with my SO with the intention of purchasing just a few shaving soaps to expand my collection, and ended up walking away with double what I expected. Looking forward to giving them all a try.

Soaps: PAA Frost Byte and Awesome Sauce, A&E Kaizen and Strawberry Fields

Aftershave: PAA Awesome Sauce

Status
Not open for further replies.