Merkur 34c v 38c

CTP

So - 2 shaves in with the 34c. why did I not make the DE swap sooner??

However, does the “c” stand for “child sized” or do I just have sausage fingers? I’m struggling a little when shaving the back of my head - it’s like the handles 15mm short. It might be exaggerated by having come from a leaf razor - since the handle is long enough to sweep a chimney!

I guess my real questions;

1. Is the handle length of the 34c standard(ish) for all DE razors?

2. The 38c is advertised as being a “longer handle” - is it literally a 34c with a longer shaft?

3. And the last question.... for the Headshavers in the group..... what’s your go to DE razor for trimming the dome?

C

Here you go...
1 No :LOL:
2 Yes
3 Blackland Vector... OK, that's SE, but my point is to say whatever razor you're using should be good for both.
Though I did use the 34C for a while. I used to think I preferred a shorter handle, but now I don't care too much so long as the balance is comfortable.

Here you go...
1 No :LOL:
2 Yes
3 Blackland Vector... OK, that's SE, but my point is to say whatever razor you're using should be good for both.
Though I did use the 34C for a while. I used to think I preferred a shorter handle, but now I don't care too much so long as the balance is comfortable.

that is one sexy looking razor - it’s mesmerising looking at those swirls moving up the handle 😣

9-FEBCDE2-7-D7-B-4-FDB-B580-E7-CD68151-EAB.png

However, does the “c” stand for “child sized”

I think the "C" stands for "chrome"? The gold version is 34G.

I can't speak of the what the 'standard' length of a DE razor handle should be, but my sweetspot is anywhere between 3.25 and 3.5 inch (8-9cm). I found the 34C handle too short, but I don't like the head geometry enough buy a 38C or 23C just for a longer handle instead of buying a different razor.

I don't have a 34c but I do have 38c and 39c and a few Hoffritz slants which appear to have almost identical dimensions to the 34 from what I understand.

38 & 39 are longer and heavier otherwise their heads are the same as the 34 & 37.

I don't use DE razor for headshaving due to my melon having a few bumps on it. I use a Leaf, or a Gem G-bar (SE) or a Headblade (sport I think) and have been known to Mach 3 it on occasion. all give me a great result. in terms of speed and efficiency I feel the Leaf and M3 are best for me followed by G-bar and then HB. I have not tried a DE for a headshave and doubt I ever will given that I have some great options already that give me terrific results.

most vintage razors had very short handles, maybe vintage men had small vintage hands... who knows? maybe the switch from straights to DE did not necessitate a longer handle and fatboys and slims changed all that. some other brands had longer handles also such as the valets and various lather catchers though all of these are SE's.

...maybe vintage men had small vintage hands... who knows? maybe the switch from straights to DE did not necessitate a longer handle...
Now there's a thought. Using a straight doesn't really involve more than thumb and first two fingers, unless you count propping those damn scales out of the way. (That's why I elected for a kamisori back before i started shaving my noggin.) Personally, I barely use my ring finger at all with any kind of safety razor, so a short handle is fine for me.

I for one love the shorter handle on the 34C as it sits nicely on my pinky when I shave, allowing for good control. If only it shaved efficiently as its a decent daily shaver when paired with a sharper blade.