Merkur 42C

Merkur 42C a.k.a. Merkur "1904"

28147.jpg

@MrT and others have it or used it (like myself).

It's well known to be a mild razor.

Oh, mild? Unfortunately that's not what I'm after. Thanks mate. I probably need to lean toward medium aggressing. Any suggestions? Thank you.
It sounds like you want an Open Comb razor. Have you tried one before?
If you want a Vintage then try the Gillette NEW Long Comb.

No, I haven't tried an open comb. I will have a look at the Gillette NEW Long Comb, thanks!
There are modern Open Combs too of course. I haven't tried too many modern OCs though so can't give recommendations. I know @Drubbing likes the Merkur 25C and others here have an iKon OC or ATT OC. Oh! Speedy is raving about his Razorock Mission razor which is an OC from memory. There are Fatips too (which I find would be more "aggressive" than what you're after I think).

There are modern Open Combs too of course. I haven't tried too many modern OCs though so can't give recommendations. I know @Drubbing likes the Merkur 25C and others here have an iKon OC or ATT OC. Oh! Speedy is raving about his Razorock Mission razor which is an OC from memory. There are Fatips too (which I find would be more "aggressive" than what you're after I think).

Okay, thanks. I'll have a close look at all things open comb, tomorrow! Got my first Feathers today... looking forward to the morning shave! :eek:

My only DE is a NEW LC - actually from filobiblic I think. When I can't use a straight this DE has given me no reason to look for another.

Merkur was too mild, like shaving with a cheese stick. Fatip and R41 were too aggressive - more like the cheese grater.

Nothing wrong with 'mild', it depends what kind. Take a mild razor and a sharp blade lie a feather and you could have the right mix.

Mild means gentle on the face. Some razors are mild and just glide over the lather, leaving more work to do, which means more passes and possible irritation. I found the Slim too mild. It needs 4 passes to do what other razors did in 2.

Mild and efficient is my ideal razor, and I let the choice of blade do the rest. That is, I can put any blade in it and it will not be either useless or a face rapist. My first 34C was a Jekyll and Hyde. Some blades played really nice, others didn't. The pricier Merkur adjustables were fucking beasts as soon as you dialled them past 2. Open combs were horrible face peelers. Most of these aggressive razors didn't leave any hair behind, or much skin. I sold them all.

So I found mild and efficient. All the cutting power without the skin removal. I found it in the 20C with a longer handle, then got another to put a put large SS handle in it. A friend recently died and his mrs gave me his 34C. Is a lot milder than my old one. So there is variability with the modern mass production stuff.

Thanks boys. Struth!!! A couple of weeks ago I had finally had enough of razor burn from my Remington cordless and disposables so I decided to go back to wet shaving after thirty odd years........ what could be difficult about that? :eek:

A lot of people of your generation often have bad memories of it. The choice of razors and blades was almost zero and few were taught, or taught by people who learned badly and suffered through having to shave. A lot different now, the net makes it easy to get almost anything, and you can also get what our dads never had - help.

A lot of people of your generation often have bad memories of it. The choice of razors and blades was almost zero and few were taught, or taught by people who learned badly and suffered through having to shave. A lot different now, the net makes it easy to get almost anything, and you can also get what our dads never had - help.

I did the bulk on my wet shaving in the Army, much of it in the field. Mostly without the luxury of hot water, often using the last inch of coffee in my drab olive green Army mug. The Blue Gillette blades were issued two per fortnight which, coupled with the water quality of black Nescafe instant floor sweepings and little if any soap, tended not to produce very long-lasting blades... especially in tropical Asian countries or QLD and NT. I still have my Army aluminium Gillette Tech razor as a reminder of those wonderful "Arse in the grass" days! :rolleyes: