Mid life and back to DEs

RustyBlade

2018 Sabbatical
Lurked on a few other shave sites and finally glad I found an Australian one with local knowledge to boot.
Back to DE shaving after filling drawers with cartridge blades while trying to find the one that irritates me less. The later never happened and finally on a whim purchased a cheap Comoy TTO with blade alignment issues and was very surprised by the results.

Months later I think I tamed my RAD but love the soaps as this I find after finding the right rig is the next crucial element to my setup. As it is all about the face and looking after your skin.

To brush hoes I am not overly excited about them as I can gain a lather with most (volley fired). But to soften the blow, lately Platypus brushes have pegged my interest with such beautiful handles and local craftsmanship.
Willing to support local businesses like Con from Lithgow, local soap makers like Squadron and other boys who take a risk as tried of supporting non Australian products.

Welcome @RustyBlade !

So in your opening post you:
  • claim to have 'tamed my RAD' - we shall wait and see
  • confessed to 'love the soaps' - opening a can of worms there don't you think @SydBJW
  • walked into a whole discussion on the importance of more than alcohol in aftershaves, 'it is all about the face and looking after your skin' - clearly in the market for APR @todras
  • offended the 'brush hoes' with claims of lather making excellence (@alfredus and others will want to see pics BTW)
  • sought to redeem yourself by spruiking the benefits of the Playtpus brush made by our own @Tony Forsyth
  • established your cred by dropping names of iconic Aussie wet shaving royalty like @shavetheman and @SchoolForAnts

WOW - that is all up pretty impressive!

What other tricks do you have up your sleeve :)

Welcome mate!

Don't forget about Washpool Farm shaving soap. One of the best I've ever used!

Response @Mark1966

Forgive my naivety in such matters as forum etiquette and treading on the body of knowledge within them. Though making a splash in the shaving community was expected. (y)

As you are aware most claims are unfounded so ‘currently’ my RAD is paused, so tamed in my eyes.

Otherwise would own a Merkur Progress (long), Charcoal Goods satin, FatBoy 1959 or maybe even a Rx Asylum (other SE), Barbaros Adjustable & Rockwell 6s by now as the last year saw an explosion of new designs….

Learnt so much about soaps and which fat is fat and if pickling my skin with alcohol will teach those pores that may or not exist according to some. As lurching has taught me not to be too steadfast to a claim or idea.

Which brings me to the salvo on brushes and gaining a lather, as those are my words. Just making a stance here on not finding the elusive brush & soap combination. I’ll leave that to the ones with that desire and the Merkur Man.

No doubt I will have many questions for the future and already happy for the guidance from such a great community. Remember YMMV

Though one burning question is what happened to Shaver Heaven?

@Batch300 Unfortunately I think my consumption in the last six months has exceeded what I have used in cartridges in the past five years but that is how you learn.

@nav1 Thank you will look into them as I like my tallows and on this any other local tallows worth investigating?

Response @Mark1966

Forgive my naivety in such matters as forum etiquette and treading on the body of knowledge within them. Though making a splash in the shaving community was expected. (y)

As you are aware most claims are unfounded so ‘currently’ my RAD is paused, so tamed in my eyes.

Otherwise would own a Merkur Progress (long), Charcoal Goods satin, FatBoy 1959 or maybe even a Rx Asylum (other SE), Barbaros Adjustable & Rockwell 6s by now as the last year saw an explosion of new designs….

Learnt so much about soaps and which fat is fat and if pickling my skin with alcohol will teach those pores that may or not exist according to some. As lurching has taught me not to be too steadfast to a claim or idea.

Which brings me to the salvo on brushes and gaining a lather, as those are my words. Just making a stance here on not finding the elusive brush & soap combination. I’ll leave that to the ones with that desire and the Merkur Man.

No doubt I will have many questions for the future and already happy for the guidance from such a great community. Remember YMMV

Welcome! Glad you have an appreciation for Aussie Made!
Anthony found it impossible to continue to service SH customers to his typical high level and keep food on the table (day job) so put the thing on pause rather than sully the name. We all hope he finds a good work/life balance and decided to return in the future.

Oh, and ignore @Mark1966!

Response @Mark1966

It was a great first post mate :)

Shaver heaven is a fantastic soap for sure...vegan our tallow, both are excellent.

I believe Anthony got a new day job which prevented him continuing on with the shaver heaven business.

If you can grab any from the guys on the forum, I would recommend you do (I believe there are a couple in the trades section).

Welcome aboard @RustyBlade - its a great forum !

Where are you located? We have local meet-ups in most of the capital cities on a semi-regular basis.