Mild Razor Suggestions.

the_shaving_sailor

2018 Sabbatical
ok so i own a lot of vintage razors now and im looking on investing in a quality mild razor than i will always have that will be old faithful.

ive had a Merkur 32C long handle and enjoyed it but im looking for something a bit more, not so much "flashy" but im looking at investing a but more then $30 into it to get something of exceptional quality. now my beard isnt "fine" but its definetly not course and i find mild razors give me the best results.
so can you guys steer me in the right direction?

cheers in advance

Which razors that you have tried, do you like? Why?

Which razors that you have tried, don't you like? Why?

Slim adjustable didn't like how mine shaved

Merkur 23c liked but felt a bit cheap

Gillette long comb didn't like way to aggressive

Gillette old open comb too aggressive

Gillette 1940's service tech loved but ended getting over it

That all I can think of right now

Couple of suggestions (for reference, I separate blade feel and efficiency), based on your criteria of lasting a lifetime and mild.
  • Rockwell 6S for a mild shaver that will last a lifetime, but isn't flashy (has a hardware tool look to it). Made of 316 stainless steel with 6 head options to vary aggressiveness/blade feel. $140 AUD delivered
  • Colonial General SE - aluminium head (if you can find one or buy it off @alfredus if his experience continues). 6061 Aluminium which will last a lifetime as well. Less frequent blade changes and very efficient shave. Effective angle isn't too narrow, though I find that under the nose it feels a little like a 6/8 straight does for me. Could easily be a daily driver, about the same blade feel as the Rockwell on 4 I reckon (though the thicker SE blades do feel stiffer on the face
Others that I haven't tried that aren't >$200 AUD and others may be able to shed light on are the likes of the RR Baby Smooth, Feather AS-D2, ATT aluminium editions (probably the M head). My first recommendation would be for the Rockwell though.

WOW - you compare the General with a Rockwell #4 @Korbz - something must be really wrong with me - I'd compare it more with the R41...

I have the suspicion, that it might be the blades - which I ordered many moons ago from TryABlade and they have been sitting around here unprotected...I just ordered some Schicks from Japan and will hold on any further experiments, until I have them.

The shave I got from the Baby Smooth today was really nice - but I will hold back further recommendations for another week.

Another option (as you haven't specified budget): Guerrilla by Wolfman

I also have the EJ89 clone from RazoRock on the way...

Another vote for the Rockwell 6S.

It's just so smooth but not mild. You'll get a very close shave due to its efficiency but due to its smoothness, you'll think it's "mild".

i know this may be a long shot but would anyone allow myself to try their Rockwell 6S? I'll pay for all the shipping and will return it after two weeks with extra goodies In said returning box which will be more then adequately wrapped and padded.

Your 32 C head on an aftermarket SS handle.

I sport a 20C on its own handle and got a Weber Classic. You get the shave you want with an upgraded look

@the_shaving_sailor Thought you had a lovely gold fat handled tech?

If you don't like the way your Gillette slim shaves you can make it more adjustable especially with a screw driver to bend them :whistle:

Maybe you should of got the Assylum evolution when it was on offer.

PM me if you want to borrow something. Except the general and the other one

Last edited: