Monocero Husaria

Monocero

New parts of Monocero Husaria Razors - Stainless steel 316l from Poland

12e1396fc6a1f93agen.jpg

40a85c40014c6f0egen.jpg

Now only manual polishing or satin finishing

I...need...one...

What you really NEED is an item from the 2021 Paste & Cut Charity Auction!

Bidding closes Saturday, 23rd October 2021 at 12.00pm AEDT unless extended in accordance with the rules.

Check out the items here

Many TG enthusiasts ask me a question about the aggressiveness of the Monocero Husaria. What is the difference between OC and CC. I explain below.

CC

1-061121205436-8602378.jpeg

OC

1-061121205436-862529.jpeg

Monocero Husaria razor was designed and made on the basis of my own experience in shaving and using other razors. The produced prototype underwent a series of objective tests, the comments of which were included in the final product.

1. GAP

Monocero HUSARIA CC I OC has a GAP - 1.4 mm./ 0.55 inches

1-061121205534-864821.jpeg

- Close Comb

Why is it so big and is it a killer? GAP is not, as a parameter, fully responsible for the aggressiveness of the razor. The fact that the GAP is large does not immediately determine the structure as aggressive, because in order to do so, other parameters must be correlated. In this case, the GAP has been engineered at this level to overcome the clogging tendency of the razor used to remove dense stubble. Thanks to this, the foam with stubble is easily pushed under the blade, without causing the cutting edge to be marred.

- Open Comb

The OC version is a solution for people who shave every few days and remove longer stubble. The use of a solution completely different from the classic OC, i.e. the so-called teething, is intended to increase the comfort of shaving. On the guide beam, which is not notched, there are rounded convexities, thanks to which the sharp edges of the teeth (as in Muhle41) do not cause discomfort.

1-061121205535-866708.jpeg

- Mix Comb

This head is a solution to the economy and intensity of use. Mix Comb combines the CC and OC properties in one head.

2. EXPOSURE OF THE BLADE

This element of the head geometry is the second most frequent query regarding the aggressiveness of the Monocero Husaria razor. As we know from the experience of using adjustable razors such as Merkur Progres, Futur, Vision, etc., the variable exposure of the blade directly affects the aggressiveness of the razor. In Monocero Husaria razors, the blade exposure is constant and positive.

1-061121205437-8631341.jpeg

The blade exposure parameter has a significant impact on the comfort of shaving and, above all, on its effectiveness. It depends on the degree of deflection beyond the leading edges of the lower bar and the cap whether we collect the stubble on the top layer of the epidermis or deeper. The effect of this parameter is the test of the next day, which is the time of hair regrowth. You may be meeting in your shaving experience that despite being shaved on the so-called PN, in some cases the condition fluctuates hourly, and in others it lasts longer.

3. BLADE ANGLE

The angle of the blade, or the bend of the razor blade, has a major influence on the comfort of shaving. It is very well visible in the Merkur Vision razor, where the head is narrow and the razor blade is strongly bent. The Monocero Husaria has an angle of 20 degrees.

1-061121205534-8651153.jpeg

This type of solution causes the head to be intuitively guided over the face and eliminates the scratching effect.

I hope that this imaging will allow you to visualize the level of aggressiveness and effectiveness of the Monocero Husaria.

Thanks for that detailed post @Monocero and wishing you continued success as some lovely looking razors. (y)

Little history.

MONOCERO Husaria - New Polish safety razor, made of 316 L stainless steel. First Polish designed and made DE safety razor since 1989

320169d1589570428-monocero-husaria-new-polish-safety-razor-made-316-l-stainless-steel-saba1.jpg

As bizarre as it might sound but it’s a fact. On our Polish shaving forum we have managed to manufacture a DE safety razor under a project named Monocero (nick of the author of the project) HUSARIA (Polish Hussars or Winged Hussars. The name recalls world famous Polish cavalry from the 17th century, known for their wings worn in battle on their backs which were meant to spread fear in the enemy lines by their look and by sound they made during a charge as shown in this painting:

320170d1589570563-monocero-husaria-new-polish-safety-razor-made-316-l-stainless-steel-in8ua12.jpg

If you would like to read more about this military formation, you can do it in this link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_hussars

The idea first came up in December 2019 and sounded quite interesting. After all, there are a few niche companies making DE safety razors and a 3-piece razor is not a high-tech gadget, so a project like this didn’t look impossible. We decided to aim to the top from the beginning – the razor was to be made from 316l stainless steel. Reality verified earlier assumptions. First blueprints were hand drawn by Monocero in January 2020.

320174d1589571125-monocero-husaria-new-polish-safety-razor-made-316-l-stainless-steel-rgu9hdu.jpg

320172d1589570712-monocero-husaria-new-polish-safety-razor-made-316-l-stainless-steel-saba2.jpg

320173d1589570748-monocero-husaria-new-polish-safety-razor-made-316-l-stainless-steel-saba3.jpg

They idea was to make a full set: razor head, matching handle and stand. We started off with the easiest part – handle and stand. These were inspired by the shape of a lance from the 17th century which was used by the cavalry as seen here in a reconstruction picture:

320171d1589570674-monocero-husaria-new-polish-safety-razor-made-316-l-stainless-steel-oeewu8b.jpg

320175d1589571604-monocero-husaria-new-polish-safety-razor-made-316-l-stainless-steel-saba4.png

Real problems started with the head. It was easy to draw but much more difficult to make. However a few guys on the forum helped with transforming the head drawings into AutoCad for CNC milling. This is when the project stopped for some time because of the costs which suddenly went sky high and we needed to check the market for alternative quotes or solutions. Finally the difficulties were overcome and we can proudly present the prototype for tests of the Monocero Husaria DE Safety Razor. After the tests and critical feedback from users their opinions will be applied to make the model ready for a production run. The original idea was to make 100 razors but rising costs will bring that number much lower and there is also a question of demand. 6 months after the initial idea, the first Polish DE safety razor designed and manufactured after the fall of communism has become a reality.

320176d1589571637-monocero-husaria-new-polish-safety-razor-made-316-l-stainless-steel-saba5.png

To sum up, a couple of facts and figures:

Razor weight: 104g
Head weight: 42g
Handle weight: 62g

8SWLKQc.jpg

Overall razor length: 102mm
Handle length: 92mm
Razor width: 43.2mm

ib9xINY.jpg

Razor material: 316L Stainless Steel CNC machined

GjS1Q8P.jpg

The blade gap is 1.21 and the razor is considered by us to be mild aggressive. On a 1-10 scale we would rate it “7” where:

“2” is Feather AS-D2

“3” is Muhle r89

“4” is Razorock 0.84P

“8” is Muhle r41

Finally, after the tests, the aggressiveness was reduced and the GAP is now 1.4 mm

saba6.png

saba7.png

saba8.png

As a result of further tests, we added a knurling on the handle, symbolizing the wrapping of the lance's sash

1_08_04_21_7_36_52.jpeg

And such a curiosity, Monocero Husaria also has versions for 3D printing

14ec8f3fa26e471emed.jpg

Only 100 Monocero Husaria are made.

3e5f8f8eb01b2819med.jpg

The Monocero Husaria are polished and satin finish.

That's a very sweet looking razor @Monocero, there's some great work coming out of Poland at the moment. (I may be wrong, but I think Stando Polska may have been going for about as long.) If I were still into DE, I think this would be on my must-have list. (y)

Sexy razor!

But if I'm sharing openly...I feel the huge gap shouldn't be based on the premise that a razor clogs easily.

I've used DE razors with a gap of 0.4mm which rinsed out just fine!

1.4mm gap, plus what looks to be a fairly large exposure and a lot of blade reveal (amount of blade beyond the edge of the cap)...this may be twice as aggressive as the alpha outlaw razor based on the doubling of specs (these two share a fairly similar design)!

nav1, thank you for referring to the topic. There are youtube some videos and opinions in the forums. Nobody complained about being too aggressive :) This device is the result of tests conducted by a lot of members of the Polish forum. Also, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Purely as a matter of interest (as I have decided to concentrate on SE shaves) are you still planning on limiting your production run to 100? I think it deserves more :cool: (depending, of course on how your sales are going, and I don't ask you to tell me that).