Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Every now and again you see posts like this announcing some boring administrative task has been performed and locked down in a section where even other mods cannot reply.

Just read some of them closely though - "So at 2am after a database version downgrade and a few additional quirks, I was finally was able to restore the site at around 2am AEDT".

Our fearless leader, @Monsta_AU does a lot of work behind the scenes making this site happen. He gets no reward for doing so, in fact he pays the bills, so the least we can do I think is show some appreciation - this thread is the opportunity to do so.

Joel - thanks for having the vision to start Paste & Cut as a home grown wet shaving community and the work you continue to do to make sure it continues.

I always found it strange how we never see any new gear from @Monsta_AU but now I see all the spare $$$ is going into improving this amazing forum! :LOL:

I echo @Mark1966 in sending you massive áppreciation for all the hard work keeping things running smoothly & affording us a place were we can discuss, share our passion for all things Mens Grooming. (y)(y)(y)

giphy-downsized.gif

Honestly, it was embarrassing that it was down so long. Having previously done parts of this hosting malarkey as a job and priding myself on being highly technical, I hold myself to a much higher standard than what I delivered overnight.

I forgot to mention that the cPanel transfer process also completely screwed the pooch and didn't bring the databases over. I have a couple of other sites on the server which I was able to get up with deleting the databases, manually re-creating them and importing the backup.

Unfortunately I didn't have much time to do my normal testing beforehand as it was quite a short notice thing. The hosting company will move everyone off and rebuild the server into the new KVM system and they need it ready for Black Friday. I had just over a week to get it done, and Friday is 'COD Day' so it wasn't going to happen after that point. The Xenforo stuff truly was the perfect storm and I need to keep the software updated more regularly to keep things easier to manage. Had that been updated prior to the move then I would have had very little issues.

Thanks @Mark1966 for the kind words, but in this case I feel like I have let you all down somewhat.

I always found it strange how we never see any new gear from @Monsta_AU but now I see all the spare $$$ is going into improving this amazing forum! :LOL:
More like I have tons of shave gear, and while hosting the site does have a cost, it comes out at around $2 per day for everything. Not a huge amount about half a coffee per day.

I have been actively investing over recent times, so my cash is going into my portfolio more than anything.

Thanks @Mark1966 for the kind words, but in this case I feel like I have let you all down somewhat.
Well, don't. As one who spent many years in your style of shoes, I can say with absolute honesty that sometimes shit happens. It's only when you can't make it right that you let anyone down, so good work. Now go get some sleep. :D

Well, don't. As one who spent many years in your style of shoes, I can say with absolute honesty that sometimes shit happens. It's only when you can't make it right that you let anyone down, so good work. Now go get some sleep. :D

^^^ what he said @Monsta_AU !

I sure you feel professionally frustrated, we all tend to be our worst critics and expect perfection when we do things, but last night in my view was a good reminder of why we should never take your quiet work behind the scenes for granted!

@Monsta_AU - Joel, your efforts are always appreciated. Upon reflection, the Forum runs as well as any on the web, thanks to you.
I do all the IT work for my small business, and hence have some appreciation of how much work is unseen.
Very, very grateful to you! (y)(y)(y)(y)

I've been a member for quite a few years and have always enjoyed dropping in regularly to read the latest from the guys.

Being an Australian forum, I always feel more at home.

I'm grateful to have P&C!!

@Monsta_AU I feel your pain. I have had some of the problems you mention before, but never at the same time. I wish websites were more like modern cars; you plug in an interface and ask, "What's wrong, dear? Tell me what I can do to make you happy?" Oops, I am getting problem areas mixed-up.

BTW, I am also a fan of Ryzen, having recently moved over. Buying AMD stock two years ago has also put a smile on my weather-beaten face.

Thanks for your work @Monsta_AU , it's going to take me over 12 months just to get my own web site up so the mysteries of building/maintaining a web site I'm experiencing make me appreciate what we so easily take for granted.
This site has sometimes given me handles for hanging on to my sanity................and come to think of it, insanity.

Thanks for your work @Monsta_AU , it's going to take me over 12 months just to get my own web site up so the mysteries of building/maintaining a web site I'm experiencing make me appreciate what we so easily take for granted.
This site has sometimes given me handles for hanging on to my sanity................and come to think of it, insanity.
SAY WHAT!!! You're going to be selling your soaps!!! :nailbiting:

tenor.gif

I'm grateful to have P&C!!
@Monsta_AU

dude, suffice to say that without you this community of people would not be there. And as such you have made my life and a lot of other people better.

so thank you.

@Monsta_AU sincerely grateful for you and your crew @Mark1966 @alfredus for keeping this site ticking over and allowing us to share our love for shaving and life stories no matter how small.

Dare I say, thank you gentleman!