Movie: "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer"

filobiblic

Facepeeler Extraordinare
State Convenor - NSW
Group Buy Caporegime
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2015 Sabbatical Fail
I watched this last night and it's very unique!
It's the story of a man who has the ability to smell everything that has a scent. It's set in 18th Century France and follows this man's journey from birth to death. Along the way he creates an amazing perfume that captures the "scent of a woman"...

(Rated MA here in Oz)

It's based on a book originally written in German.
You can read more on the film at Wikipedia.

The book is a classic in German speaking countries - I think we read it even at school...

I read it when I was 15 and have since read it about 10 times. The translation is brilliant.
It is a modern Penguin Classic I believe.

The film differs very little from the book from what I've read. I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

I watched this last night and it's very unique!
It's the story of a man who has the ability to smell everything that has a scent. It's set in 18th Century France and follows this man's journey from birth to death. Along the way he creates an amazing perfume that captures the "scent of a woman"...

(Rated MA here in Oz)

It's based on a book originally written in German.
You can read more on the film at Wikipedia.

Not trying to be smart, but don't we all have the ability to small everything that has a scent? Do you mean he can identify anything from it's scent?

Not trying to be smart, but don't we all have the ability to small everything that has a scent? Do you mean he can identify anything from it's scent?
Well, it's fiction right? So it's what the author makes it to be. [emoji6]
But the main character was born with an exceptional sense of smell, being able to distinguish a vast range of scents in the world around him. So he's able to make the most amazing perfumes as he can discern every component of the scent and build perfumes that are subliminal. Every scent is essentially amplified and he can determine an object by its scent (and vice versa) as you say.

He aims to make the best perfume in the world that is essentially the smell of love...

It is available as a Penguin Classic and you inspired me to grab it to take to Europe.

83ed343c1c2a269d44f63db334c8d80f.jpg

I normally take a Penguin Classic and this one leapt out at me !

Hey - Happy shaving :)

Last edited:
It is available as a Penguin Classic and you inspired me to grab it to take to Europe
83ed343c1c2a269d44f63db334c8d80f.jpg

I normally take a Penguin Classic and this one leapt out at me !

Hey - Happy shaving :)
Enjoy both Europe and the book! [emoji41]

I have the french traduction of this book, I think I bought it when I was in Paris. My favorite part is when Grenouille works for Boldini, I felt a bit sorry for the old man... one does not simply cross Grenouille's path without consequences.

I'm remembering other books that I read when I was a teenager, one of which was 'A Bag of Marbles' by Joseph Joffo, the shattering story of 2 young jewish brothers during WW2.

Last edited:
Well as I near the end of my trip I have finished my holiday reading.

1) Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (Patrick Süskind) deep, dark read but intriguing premise. Moves a little slowly at time but keep interest throughout. Reading while in France was a definite bonus. It was very interesting to be walking around a French town (Arras) after reading some and being confronted by the very different smells of a French town compared to Canberra.

Definitely want to see the movie, it is probably it is not as good (are they ever?).

Very grateful to @filobiblic for this thread and getting me connected to this book.

2) The Rosie Project (Graeme Simsion) a 'rom-com' book and I think that this is how it is best consumed. It was University of Canberra 'book of the year' for 2015 and every undergrad got a copy. Switch brain down a gear and just read with few expectations. Seems I'm 'Just like Don' too -http://quiz.therosieproject.com.au/character.html

9781922147844.jpg

Watched " Perfume: The Story of a Murderer" movie on Netflix the other night. Well worth watching?

If @todas releases a 'Laura' scent be afraid, be very afraid ...