Muhle R95 Rocca Birch Bark Appreciation Thread

Oh good grief, no!

You make me sound like a boring accountant or something 😞
Where's the R95 Rocca spreadsheet 😂
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

My R94 Stainless Steel Rocca has arrived.

To me it is has a similar quality finish to the EJ 3one6.
The handle is the grippiest handle of any DE razor I have held. Running your fingers down the handle will catch against the skin on your fingers. (Yes that grippy) The handle size is the same as the Muhle Grande, minus the tip on the end of the Grande handle. It is considerably larger than the 3one6, I am actually comforatable with the 3one6 handle for me its the perfect size. The Grande handle to me although comfortable does make me concentrate more on the shave, especially with aggressive razors like R41 plate and top cap.

Yes this is an aggressive razor, I dont even need to shave with it to know. Thats the way I like them. :)

I have read comments about Rocca has the same plate and top cap as the EJ 3one6. The blade gap looks the same but the plate and top cap are different. The 3one6 has a wider plate, while the Rocca's is thicker. You cannot swap caps from one razor to another. You can swap handles.
Blade support looks a little sturdier on the 3on6.
3one6 plate has lather channels, while the Rocca's does not.
There is also more blade overhang on the 3one6 than the Rocca.

Price wise, they should be similar to the 3one6 once they are sold on th local market.

Shave wise I will tell you tomorrow.

I just did a big write up review, and the entire content disappeared when I hit post reply. :mad:

I CBF writing it again.

Short and simple 10/10 razor get one. The handle is the best of the best.

Better than my timeless , ATT, razorrock ,EJ ,rockstar ,karve and the other dozen plus SS razors I have.

Its aggresive/efficient, smoother than 3one6. Has a aggressive rating somewhere between Karve D/E plate with the smoothness of the C plate.

It doesn't cost a fortune. Muhle have a winner here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187301851@N03/shares/9ttpJ4

Great write up Rhodes!

I’ve not bought a new razor for years, but the 3one6 looked good on paper as my go-to head shaver. So far I have been very impressed.

I just did a big write up review, and the entire content disappeared when I hit post reply. :mad:

I CBF writing it again.

Short and simple 10/10 razor get one. The handle is the best of the best.

Better than my timeless , ATT, razorrock ,EJ ,rockstar ,karve and the other dozen plus SS razors I have.

Its aggresive/efficient, smoother than 3one6. Has a aggressive rating somewhere between Karve D/E plate with the smoothness of the C plate.

It doesn't cost a fortune. Muhle have a winner here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187301851@N03/shares/9ttpJ4

been looking at getting the bronze timeless but don’t feel either plate will suit.. I have enough aggressive razors and need more efficiency than the 38 plate will give, but this new version Rocca V4 Sounds like it will give me enough efficiency with a mild feel

had my eye on the black r96 handle, anyone know if this is all stainless like the r94? Is is SS just wrapped with a black carbon coating?

Last edited:
been looking at getting the bronze timeless but don’t feel either plate will suit.. I have enough aggressive razors and need more efficiency than the 38 plate will give, but this new version Rocca V4 Sounds like it will give me enough efficiency with a mild feel

had my eye on the black r96 handle, anyone know if this is all stainless like the r94? Is is SS just wrapped with a black carbon coating?

It has a black DLC coated SS handle. I think they do a full blacked out DLC version as well.

It has a black DLC coated SS handle. I think they do a full blacked out DLC version as well.

yeah and it looks awesome, quite sinister actually but at $40 more I won’t be getting it
33_992354d6-1ee5-4bfb-b886-a8e202cb481c_1000x.jpg

Was originally going to get the r96, but now leaning towards the r94 silver one.. dunno

yeah and it looks awesome, quite sinister actually but at $40 more I won’t be getting it
33_992354d6-1ee5-4bfb-b886-a8e202cb481c_1000x.jpg

Was originally going to get the r96, but now leaning towards the r94 silver one.. dunno

The R94 is awesome, The grip is phenomenal, The shave is magic.:)
I think they only sell the V4 now which has zero issues.
I picked mine up from shaving.ie No VAT and super cheap shipping.

Get the Birch Bark!

Classic

Not shallow at all mate, a very attractive razor, and the same reason I bought an Estwing hammer
Hmmm. I have an Estwing claw-hammer I bought in 1987, and the finish on the handle lasted about 3 years leaving the handle feeling rough as guts. The hammer itself is great, but it feels horrible in my hand. I never took the trouble to fix it up because as a former blacksmith, I've got lots of hammers that I made myself and fitted with hickory handles that are still perfect over 30 years later.

I do like the look of the Rocca though, and hope the handle lasts. I saw one YouTube review where the guy said it gave him a rough shave, but I wonder if he's just a wimp. :LOL: Could have been an earlier version, though...

Last edited:
Hmmm. I have an Estwing claw-hammer I bought in 1987, and the finish on the handle lasted about 3 years leaving the handle feeling rough as guts. The hammer itself is great, but it feels horrible in my hand. I never took the trouble to fix it up because as a former blacksmith, I've got lots of hammers that I made myself and fitted with hickory handles that are still perfect over 30 years later.

I do like the look of the Rocca though, and hope the handle lasts. I saw one YouTube review where the guy said it gave him a rough shave, but I wonder if he's just a wimp. :LOL: Could have been an earlier version, though...

May not have found a blade that worked for him or just a Wimp.:LOL: