Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
r95-rocca-embargo-09-2016-razor_birch.jpg

The ROCCA series

Beautifully simple, yet particularly masculine: This is the new ROCCA range of products. A little more modern, and more distinctive than much of what is known from MÜHLE, they are made from the finest and most durable stainless steel. But it has been worth the effort: These products are particularly durable and robust.
The satin or slightly matt finish not only feels good in your hand, but is also pleasing to the eye and creates an elegant effect.
Even with all of these new details, ROCCA's heritage is still very evident. The design of this range is a further development of classic MÜHLE models; the name ROCCA (from the Italian for castle or fort) refers to the very best materials – and also to the fact that a MÜHLE product will last a lifetime and beyond.

ROCCA razor

No frills, but with fine extras: The ROCCA razor could not be clearer or more masculine. Its uninterrupted lines from attachment to base make it both beautiful and practical: Thanks to its ergonomic shape and the surface structure of the handle, it feels good in your hand. As connoisseurs say: It has grip. It turns an everyday ritual into a daily design experience.

The Material - Birch bark

For thousands of years birch-bark held a similar technical ranking to that of synthetic materials in today's modern world. With the varied and, at the same time, discrete texture, the bark convinces at first touch with its pleasant, comfortable warm feel. The material is extremely long-lasting, easy to grip, even when wet and easy to care for.

Measures
Dimension: 41 mm x 105 mm
Weight: 80 g

Express you love and adoration below people.

(Please form an orderly queue)

Too modern, hasn’t vintaged enough for me...

See there is the thing.

Unlike some common razors I see around *cough* Wolfman *cough* this is a timeless classic :)

Next thing we know you will have one of those common Wolfman razors :)
Despite the fact P&C bastion of vintage shaving has rescinded to modern chic It is a very nice looking razor.
The handle reminds me of an Estwing leather ring handle found on hammers and axes. Here's hoping the birch bark last longer.
Let us know how it shaves. Looks like there will be a bit of blade feedback

@Mark1966 it looks amazing.. what’s the efficiency like?

It has a reputation for efficiency and for some people 'bite' first use this morning and I didn't find it overly aggressive. It has variously been described as -

"almost as efficient as an R41, but smoother and with less blade feel"

"For those desiring a plate 8 for the Rockwell 6s, this should do it (though it is far less bulky, far more nimble and far better finished and more elegant than the Rockwell)"

Hi @Mark1966 Is that a gap between the blade and cap or shadow and trick photography?

Yep, there is some blade gap, but the blade is held pretty firm.

It has a reputation for efficiency and for some people 'bite' first use this morning and I didn't find it overly aggressive. It has variously been described as -

"almost as efficient as an R41, but smoother and with less blade feel"

"For those desiring a plate 8 for the Rockwell 6s, this should do it (though it is far less bulky, far more nimble and far better finished and more elegant than the Rockwell)"

Yep, there is some blade gap, but the blade is held pretty firm.

Thanks (not) now i have another razor to think about. I love how this one looks, the head looks nice and slim and that handle looks amazing.

My only worry (?) is that the baseplate 'upstands' are so far back.
The blade seems to be unsupported (free floating) over a fair bit of real estate.
How is the blade chatter? Nicely curved blade should add some tension though, so maybe that helps hold back any chatter?
Otherwise, yeah...looks good (but what would I know...I'm getting a Wolfman..and it's in the mail on it's way to me now).

Thanks (not) now i have another razor to think about. I love how this one looks, the head looks nice and slim and that handle looks amazing.

First shave was great - very easy to maneuver and yes the head is slim and compact.

My only worry (?) is that the baseplate 'upstands' are so far back.
The blade seems to be unsupported (free floating) over a fair bit of real estate.
How is the blade chatter? Nicely curved blade should add some tension though, so maybe that helps hold back any chatter?
Otherwise, yeah...looks good (but what would I know...I'm getting a Wolfman..and it's in the mail on it's way to me now).

It does look pretty scary but the blade is locked in pretty tight and I didn't think it had the chatter reported some other people.

More comments and observations after a few more uses. Might also see if @Errol wants to borrow for a review :)

Hi @Mark1966 , I am sure you did plenty of research before buying.
What attracted you to this razor?

Hi @Mark1966 , I am sure you did plenty of research before buying.

Ummmm, sure ...

What attracted you to this razor?

Does it seem shallow if I say the way it looks?

TBH - that was what caught my eye. It looks different, unique and has that 'Scandi' vibe about it.

On some reasearch I discovered that it is stainless steel, but not sure how the handle will last, hopefully better than the Estwing, and despite QC problems in V1 and V2 the V3 had some good reviews. It was not just another mild EJ89 clone head and I thought it might be a nice daily shaver.

We shall see.

Not shallow at all mate, a very attractive razor, and the same reason I bought an Estwing hammer

I think I got my son an Estwing the day he was born, well actually his dad, me, and his granddad went to Bunnings and got it for him together actually. Will have to check whether it is an Estwing or not, might have gone for a more traditional look.

The Muhle Rocca shave and the aggression is 100% the same as the EJ 3one6.

Really? Interesting...

W6upFux.gif

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think I got my son an Estwing the day he was born, well actually his dad, me, and his granddad went to Bunnings and got it for him together actually. Will have to check whether it is an Estwing or not, might have gone for a more traditional look.

Really? Interesting...

W6upFux.gif

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Are you trying to tell me that I cannot tell the difference between a Muhle Rocca vs EJ 3one6 and I've own both hardware in my den.

giphy.gif

Rocca-vs-3one6.jpg

Rocca-vs-3one6.gif

EJ 3one6 vs Muhle Rocca.. Thanks to Rohleder from the shaving room in UK

Same geometry? Check.
Same blade gap? Check.
Same blade exposure? Check.
Same (lack of) blade clamping? Check.

Last edited:
Now one of my favourite razors, although it did take a long, long time for Muhle to get the Rocca right. I went through 3 versions (all had poor manufacturing tolerances), but the Version 4 Rocca is fully CNC machined and the well documented problems (v1 through to v3 - with warped base plates, warped top caps, centre posts and blade post welds failing, female threading not centred on handles etc that caused it to be a rough shaver for so many) seem to be behind them. The V4 Rocca is a smooth, mid-efficient razor that hits the sweet spot for me. Although the birch bark handle is pretty unique and feels great in the hand, I still think the quality needs to be turned up a notch or two. The transition from the top of the SS handle to the birch bark is not as smooth as it could be, but this is a minor detail I suppose for a GBP £100 razor.

Are you trying to tell me that I cannot tell the difference between a Muhle Rocca vs EJ 3one6 and I've own both hardware in my den.

giphy.gif

Rocca-vs-3one6.jpg

Rocca-vs-3one6.gif

EJ 3one6 vs Muhle Rocca.. Thanks to Rohleder from the shaving room in UK

Same geometry? Check.
Same blade gap? Check.
Same blade exposure? Check.
Same (lack of) blade clamping? Check.

Hang on @SpeedyPC - so you can gif it out but cannot take it? :)