Muhle R95 Rocca Birch Bark Appreciation Thread

This is a shame and I have found the same with some other razors. Before you sell the razor and I have not read the entire thread, worth giving Gillette Yellows and Shark SS's a go if you have them as well as other blades. Also experiment if you can with different angles under the chin. I am sure you will anyway and I am probably stating the obvious. Sadly some razors just do not fit us but if you can find a way to make the razor work - just great...it sometimes takes a while to overcome the foibles of a particular razor or adjust our own technique to suit the razors idiosyncrasies.
Sad to see you have such a meh shave with the Rocca but well worth trying the Yellows or Rubies if you have any as both shave smoothly with just the right amount of sharpness.
Best of luck & Happy Shaves!

Had a 2 pass R95 shave this morning. It actually worked well (and that surprised me).
Maybe it's 'muscle memory' from using the Karve mainly (ie. a lot).
Today I made a point of listening to the razor and feeling what it was doing for a change...usually I'm set on 'automatic'.
Anyway, I rode the cap a tad more to allow the blade to get a softer angle and that was what it wanted.
Nice clean, close shave. Used a Gillette yellow plus Stirling Bay Rum.
I looked good, I smelt great.
Winner, winner. Chicken dinner!
Oh yeah...I'm still using that Hyaluronic Acid too. I'll be looking like a young 60 year old soon.

Had a 2 pass R95 shave this morning. It actually worked well (and that surprised me).
Maybe it's 'muscle memory' from using the Karve mainly (ie. a lot).
Today I made a point of listening to the razor and feeling what it was doing for a change...usually I'm set on 'automatic'.
Anyway, I rode the cap a tad more to allow the blade to get a softer angle and that was what it wanted.
Nice clean, close shave. Used a Gillette yellow plus Stirling Bay Rum.
I looked good, I smelt great.
Winner, winner. Chicken dinner!
Oh yeah...I'm still using that Hyaluronic Acid too. I'll be looking like a young 60 year old soon.

nice one @Blackie, I shave with sound also which is very audible..

Hi Gents, I am in the minority with @Errol on this one.
Wanted to start the year with a wonderful shave and thought what better way than the R95/Wizamet combo which I have read so many accolades for.
Loved the audible feedback and feel on the cheeks but that is where the joy stopped.
Under the jawline did not remove all stubble WTG was not even close to a DFS, and the blade felt like it had a burr half way through second pass
I'll palm strop the blade and stick with it for the week to see if I can dial it in, also try Astra SP because I love the look and feel of the razor but have set the bar for a keeper at better than GC-84P and at this stage the R95 is below par without going ATG. The burred blade made it rougher than 6T8 which is my benchmark for a smooth DFS
Felt like I would have to go ATG to get under the jawline because WTG the head geometry and handle length will not allow BBS or even a DFS under the jawline.
As mentioned cheeks are wonderful BBS and loved the audible feedback and look and feel, but under the jawline may be the downfall for me.

sorry to hear mate.. the rocca gives me super smooth shaves that easily result in bbs.. hope it works out for you

sorry to hear mate.. the rocca gives me super smooth shaves that easily result in bbs.. hope it works out for you
Cheer mate, I want to like it because it is a nice set that looks and feels good but if not in top 5 will not get used

Followed your lead @Blackie and listened to the razor, adjusted angles and rode the cap a bit more than usual. A better shave than yesterday but still stubble under the jawline.
Maybe I just need some Hyaluronic Acid to plump my boney a** cheeks

Hi all, I found the problem

it wasn't the handle...

or the blade ...

Not even ID10T error...

it was the head...

Meet the solution RazoRocca Birch Bark 84P

WjKagwa.jpg

...and a touch of YMMV

All jokes aside the set is too pretty to split up so "catch and release".

Apologies @Mark1966 I know this is an appreciation thread, not depreciation. Hopefully the new owner appreciates the value :greedy::greedy::greedy:

Hi all, I found the problem

it wasn't the handle...

or the blade ...

Not even ID10T error...

it was the head...

Meet the solution RazoRocca Birch Bark 84P

WjKagwa.jpg

...and a touch of YMMV

All jokes aside the set is too pretty to split up so "catch and release".

Apologies @Mark1966 I know this is an appreciation thread, not depreciation. Hopefully the new owner appreciates the value :greedy::greedy::greedy:

Nice kit in the photo !!!

Has anyone tried using the Muhle blade it comes with?

Man, what a sweet blade when teamed up with the Rocca. It was smooth, forgiving and definitely long lasting when compared to a feather.

I found it to be smoother than the Astra green by a long shot, but the Feather is still my sweet spot.

Has anyone tried using the Muhle blade it comes with?

Man, what a sweet blade when teamed up with the Rocca. It was smooth, forgiving and definitely long lasting when compared to a feather.

I found it to be smoother than the Astra green by a long shot, but the Feather is still my sweet spot.
Yeah I've been trialing the Muhle blade my last few shaves and whilst not as smooth as the Wizamet or Gillette Yellow, the blade shaves BBS with no irritation.
Top 5 blade when paired with Rocca:
Wizamet, Yellow, Rubie Platinum, Personna L/Blue, Muhle.
Nacet, Astra Blue, BIC = OK shave!

Yeah I've been trialing the Muhle blade my last few shaves and whilst not as smooth as the Wizamet or Gillette Yellow, the blade shaves BBS with no irritation.
Top 5 blade when paired with Rocca:
Wizamet, Yellow, Rubie Platinum, Personna L/Blue, Muhle.
Nacet, Astra Blue, BIC = OK shave!

You haven't tried our old friend 'Feather'?

It takes the Rocca to another level for me, I find it sharper and smoother than the Yellow's but not as long lasting. I get max 3 shaves out of a feather before it starts snagging.

You haven't tried our old friend 'Feather'?

It takes the Rocca to another level for me, I find it sharper and smoother than the Yellow's but not as long lasting. I get max 3 shaves out of a feather before it starts snagging.
Yet to try a Feather as they take a few shaves to dial in only to go dull/rough 5-6 shaves.
I find mix results using sharper blades with Nacet being somewhat harsh, BIC Chrome OK, Personna Lab Blues significant blade feel but comfortable, Yellows smooth but very close/comfortable.

I have found feathers not as smooth as the yellows or polsilvers in the Rocca.. the best blade in this razor (for me) is def a gillette yellow
@Phunk don’t be a wimp to tryout all the blades in your Rocca, some blades do work well and some blades don’t work out well, because, everybody skins and stubble thickness are all different that’s why we say YMMV.

So, whatever advice that you heard, read or recommend, just believe in your own eyes not your ears. Like I said some blades do work well and some blades don’t work well in any DE razors, think of this that you’re driving your own bloody car whatever brand or model you choose.